Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach Mauritania
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cartago

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but telling them they're naive rubes from TEFL mills who think they can get a job anywhere they stick a pin in the map kinda is......

That's why they're posting on daves instead of showing up at the airport in Nouakchott wondering why there aren't recruiters to meet them.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't like the outside world they should complain. I am just telling you and anyone else that wants to read the way it is.
cartago

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of people manage to do that without the condescending attitude.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it or leave it. Some people need a dose of reality.

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
cartago

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP had a reasonable question, I've seen jobs advertised in Somaliland and Sudan and even one in Mauritania before. The current situation does sound troubling but that's why she posted here isn't it? I just don't see the need for the condescending attitude from an armchair expert.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An "armchair expert" who spent most of his adult life teaching in Africa, the Middle East and the Balkans.

PLEASE do go and teach in Mogadishu or Nouakchott.
cartago

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you're such an expert it's odd that you offer so little of substance besides snide remarks. I would think you would know Mogadishu is not in Somaliland.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Teach Mauritania Reply with quote

Susie wrote:
I hear that the country is a great place in which to work, that the cost of living is low, that the salaries are high for qualified and experienced western teachers, that the food is nurishing, the people friendly and the weather great.

I just can't find any jobs offered there on this forum. Does anyone have a lead?

All this wonderful positivity was from a native of that country, right? He/she must have been looking at it through patriotic, rose-tinted glasses. I've only ever heard/read bad things about Mauritania, to be honest.

The three sources of information I have on this country:

1. A BBC documentary about how tough life is for women there. On top of being extremely poor, there appears to be a Saudi-like 'moral' value system in place. It is an extremely conservative country. Apparently accusing women of prostitution, for malicious reasons, such as them refusing a marriage proposal, is very common. Once accusations are made, the justice system is extremely unfair. The docu centred on this. Basically women's rights are next to nothing there.

2. A UN report on modern day slavery. I don't just mean secret human trafficking and exploitation. I mean they actually have slaves in the sense of 200 years ago, where the person is owned outright, with no effort to hide it. Some estimates put up to a third of the population as slaves.

3. A British Foreign Office travel advisory, which advises you not to travel to all of Mauritania, and only to the capital in case of essential business. This is due to the very high threat of kidnapping and terrorism. On top of that, one can only imagine how single western women would get on there, even without those dangers.

All in all, considering your TEFL salary would be peanuts, it's probably not the best location to choose from all the possible destinations a teacher can go to. If you want baking heat, a medieval mindset towards women, and a high salary then go to KSA!

On a related note, I once had a Nigerian co-worker tell me, quite sincerely, that Lagos was a lovely city, great for westerners to party in, and very safe. It made me wonder why he had left in the first place... It's just rose-tinted patriotism.
Mr. English

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an update on the subject of slavery in Mauritania. The article is mostly about one man's (a Mauritanian's) struggle to end slavery.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/08/freedom-fighter
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to Mauritania a couple times....there is work for qualified and licensed UK and US primary and secondary school teachers.....but for EFL teachers there is very little demand (if any). Shocked Shocked
TT-Kira

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe how this thread has degraded so badly ... Scot47 maybe you should visit Mauritania yourself one day.

I am working on a consultancy basis there, I have known the country since 2005 and there has never been a 'christian/muslim' war going on as the country is just about 100% Muslim. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Mauritania is growing up, changing it's ways & expanding economically ...

The slave trade is a historical situation that will take time to demolish completely, just like in other countries around the world that are now more advanced. It has been officially illegal to have slaves (many live out in the desert) since 2008 I believe

For EFL, generally there's very little and the demand falls on the shoulders of the local Mauri teachers (some of whom are good, others not so)
water rat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT-Kira wrote: "It has been officially illegal to have slaves (many live out in the desert) since 2008 I believe"

Then that puts them ahead of the U.S. state of Mississippi where slavery was not officially abolished until February 8, 2013.

Read: http://triblive.com/usworld/nation/3508673-74/mississippi-amendment-slavery#axzz3CmjDzzrb
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand from a colleague who used to teach English there that mining phosphate in the Sahara Desert pays more money than teaching. The main problem he says he faces is boredom...as there is nothing to look at except SAND..he started mining phosphate redently in the NW of the country bordering the Western Sahara. Shocked Shocked
water rat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
I understand from a colleague who used to teach English there that mining phosphate in the Sahara Desert pays more money than teaching. The main problem he says he faces is boredom...as there is nothing to look at except SAND..he started mining phosphate redently in the NW of the country bordering the Western Sahara. Shocked Shocked

Well, we got nothing to look at but students! And you say mining pays better? Say, what do you say we start a new website? We'll call it Dave's Guano Gatherer's Cafe? (with apologies to Dave)

This all reminds me of a Western I once saw. maybe someone can help me with the title. It's very famous.

The 'gang' of several well known Hollywood stars is riding into a phosphate mining town to try their luck there. The leader tells them it's a guano-mining town. Then the Mexican gang member explains what guano is. Then one of them says, "I've been to gold-mining towns, silver towns, coal towns, copper towns, but I ain't never been to no bat-shit town!'

And another says,

"I wonder what the women are like." Laughing
Capt Lugwash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young Guns II
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: