Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiring period

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jphunt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Hiring period Reply with quote

Hey everyone. So I have the Celta, a Degree, an EU passport and speak pretty good Italian, and I will be heading to Milan on the 2nd September to see what I can get.

Sorry if this has been addressed previously, it's just that I see a lot of conflicting information. Is arriving right at the beginning of September too early, too late, or fine? I know the city is pretty much a ghost town in August but I'm not really sure when things get going again. My plan is basically to go to any school I can find with a CV + covering letter. Should I be doing this as soon as I arrive?

Another question I have is would it be wishful thinking to hope for jobs within the city of Milan, or will I almost certainly have to venture out to the satellite towns? I greatly appreciate any responses, thanks.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's unlikely you'll get work for the first week of September. You'll need to be going in to see schools and giving them time to look at your CV. In turn, they'll need to assess how many teachers they've got, how many projects / clients etc, and this last aspect is going to be the most difficult. The schools need to wait until their clients are all back at work, have got training programmes in place, and so on. So while it's a good idea to start looking early, you might not have any work for at least two weeks in September. Longer if the school isn't so organised (or their clients aren't so organised.)

Take enough money to tide you through for at least two weeks, though a month will be safer. Have you got accommodation sorted? Look for a self-catered short-let apartment which will save you on hotel / B&B and not lock you into a flat share before you know where you'll be based.

I'm not in Milan, but as far as I know, it's one of the best places to pick up work. The satellite towns are also full of schools. Start first with where you want to work, then broaden your horizons if you're not getting anywhere.
jphunt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Teacher in Rome. Fortunately I do have a place to stay there while I look for work and enough to survive for a month or so. Not actually working by mid-September or the end of month should be fine.

I know the "what are my chances" question is a tedious one for the experienced teachers to keep answering, so I apologise in advance, but could you give me a general feel for how the market is, if we presume that opportunities in the likes of Rome and Milan are similar? Is there a reasonable chance that I simply won't find anything, or would turning up at every school around with a CV almost guarantee something? I would like to be heading out there with realistic expectations. I should add that I am a recent graduate and don't have experience of teaching.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having any teaching experience will count against you, but on the other hand, you have the CELTA, speak good Italian - two pluses. Your best bet would be to find a school organised enough where the DOS can help you with lesson planning, observations and so on. Highlight any TP on your CV and any other extra-curricular activities where you coached / mentored / were involved with young people (YL is a growing area in Italy).

Milan is the economic powerhouse of Italy. Although many, many companies are closing down with the recession here, you should be able to find something. Do visit as many schools as possible, and do be friendly with the receptionists and admin staff (who don't always speak English and will prefer to co-ordinate teaching, registers etc with someone who speaks Italian - don't underestimate this factor). Be humble, be charming, be willing to work even lousy or inconvenient hours, and be easy to work with - and you'll be fine. For the first year you'll probably be working at different schools to cobble together a FT schedule, but things should get easier in the second year - by which time you'll have accumulated experience.

Let us know how you get on!
jphunt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers TIR, great info. I'll report back in a couple of months with hopefully positive news!
jphunt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Teacher in Rome, in the chance that you read this before I leave.....do you think it's worth firing off a few emails this week before I go to Milan, or better to just show up at schools in person?

Another question is that a lot of jobs seem to ask for 1 or 2 years experience. Do you think I should go in for these anyway, or do I have no chance? Thanks for any info!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and yes! Today is the first day back for many people, so getting in an email now, to be followed up by an in-person visit, will put a lot of DOS' minds at rest. You might also be just what someone needs for a soon-to-start project, so first-mover advantage is good.

Apply anyway - you never know how things change. A school might have their ideal teacher, only for that teacher to disappear, so being on someone's database might mean you mop up work. But it's also important that you can display a can-do attitude even if you lack other aspects such as experience.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
re-teacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

jphunt - have you found a job yet? I will soon be in a similar position and therefore very curious about your situation.

I worked as an ESL teacher 20 years ago in several countries and with different types of students. I have a Master in TESOL, dual Italian/US citizenship, and an EU passport. I just left my import/export position with Dell Inc and would like to re-enter the ESL teaching profession. I am living in the US and was thinking of going to Italy before the end of the year to search for positions with a January start. I would like to start my search in Rome. Could you please comment on the working conditions, teaching schedules, salaries, and accommodations? Would I have a chance to obtain a teaching position in a university?
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: