Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Afghanistan Pay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gama

You can't stand life in KSA. Do you really think you would like Afghanistan ?
Unrung School Bell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a dude involved in medical inventory, not ESL, who went to Afghanistan in 2010. When he returned 9 months into his year contract, it was because 3 of his group of nine had been, well, assassinated. He asked me why I had never written to him. I told him that I had written three times and he had responded to my emails, and even sent me a gift. He thought about this for a full minute and then remembered that this was so. Sad
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrung School Bell wrote:
He asked me why I had never written to him. I told him that I had written three times and he had responded to my emails, and even sent me a gift. He thought about this for a full minute and then remembered that this was so. Sad

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Gama

You can't stand life in KSA. Do you really think you would like Afghanistan ?

Did I say I would? Did I?

wavelength said they hadn't seen any numbers for Afghanistan which I assume is in terms of salary, and I merely replied with something that I *SAW ADVERTISED*

I never once said I was considering it!
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best place for Gama is Dublin - or maybe Hammersmith.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Best place for Gama is Dublin - or maybe Hammersmith.

Well don't put words in my mouth then.
bigdurianthesecond

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some info here.

http://www.icaltefl.com/teaching-english-in-afghanistan

Although I suspect that jobs linked to the military would be paying far higher. Based on what people earn in Saudi, and based on Afghanistan being more dangerous, I would have thought that $100k a year wouldn't be out of the question.

Trying to find out what military contractors are working there would be a way forward.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdurianthesecond wrote:
Trying to find out what military contractors are working there would be a way forward.

Somewhat helpful:
bigdurianthesecond

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anniebelle wrote:
Wanderman, I taught in Iraq last year, enjoyed it very much and was extremely well-compensated. There are still some companies who hire contractors to teach in Afghanistan - Dyncorp may be one; not sure who currently has the contracts.

I should clarify "enjoyed it very much". It's not a comfortable life and it's got its obvious inherent dangers; what I enjoyed was my students. After having taught other ME students, the degree of commitment and motivation I experienced in Iraq was extremely refreshing and reminded me of how satisfying teaching English can be.

Currently working for DynCorp, so just out of interest I had a look. They've got positions going in Kabul. The job description was fairly standard, but the other stuff that went with it was pretty uninspiring. Uncomfortable living, hazardous conditions, being prepared to move at a moment's notice, extreme weather conditions.

Maybe for a year if you're really desperate, or materialistic, but I think that would be about it.
Do you work to live, or live to work?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I had a firm offer/contract of $15,000/month from Shell there, 28/28 in the Majnoon Field in 2014. Not paid when off, so only 90k a year , which is less than I'm on now living in the best country in the Gulf.

Oh and I don't have an MA Smile
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, with the latest wave of Taliban attacks in Kabul maybe some of the 'dangermen' that seem interested in teaching there could press for higher salaries? Shocked
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdurianthesecond wrote:
Currently working for DynCorp, so just out of interest I had a look. They've got positions going in Kabul. The job description was fairly standard, but the other stuff that went with it was pretty uninspiring. Uncomfortable living, hazardous conditions, being prepared to move at a moment's notice, extreme weather conditions.

DynCorp International's most recent English instructor ad for Afghanistan (April 2016) also includes the following requirement: "Possess a FSI Language Proficient Rating of a S5/R5 in English and host nation’s language." The ad is most likely targeting Afghan teachers, which isn't surprising considering that many EFL projects in warzones entail training qualified locals to teach. That was my situation as well.

Tazz wrote:
With the latest wave of Taliban attacks in Kabul maybe some of the 'dangermen' that seem interested in teaching there could press for higher salaries?

There's a new ad on the Cafe's job board for the American University of Afghanistan in Kabul. Annual salary is generally around $50,000 USD with preference for experienced, TEFL-related MA degree holders. Definitely not danger-pay level given that it's a university and not a government contact. However, that's still a respectable salary for those with solid qualifications.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: But.. Reply with quote

Are there really univeritties or companies in Afghanistan that can hire foreign teachers and pay them even decent salaries? Are the 10% of the population who are literate actually weaalthy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: But.. Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:
Are there really univeritties or companies in Afghanistan that can hire foreign teachers and pay them even decent salaries?

Sure. See my previous post about AUAF. However, there are Afghans who are quite capable and qualified to teach. In fact, I had a couple of Afghan classmates (university lecturers) when I was completing my MAT some years back.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A colleague of mine told me he was offered 150k+ not two months ago.
How true this is I can't say, but I know there were similar offers a few years back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: