Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expat Teaching Recruitment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Monad

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Expat Teaching Recruitment? Reply with quote

Greetings everyone,

This is my first post, so I apologize if I've posted in the wrong place or in the wrong manner.

I have been offered an interview in the UK with Aramco, through ETR. Has anyone had experience with this company? Would they, or another contractor, likely be my employer if I got the job?

I'm a little annoyed that ETR is only paying a small fraction of my travel expenses (from the US), and am wondering if I should take this as a bad omen.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Dr. M
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Expat Teaching Recruitment? Reply with quote

I find it odd they're interviewing you in the UK, yet their job ad states they're also doing interviews in the US. Perhaps that's why they're only paying peanuts for your travel expenses. Anyway... You'd have to ask the recruiter who you'd be working for.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis doesn't sound right. Bad omen is the right phrase to use. Aramco contractors have regular recruitment rounds in the US and they should not be requiring you to travel to the UK. Perhaps ETR specifically do not recruit from the US. But many others do.

If you get the job, they would be your employer so you must be certain you are happy with the offer they make you. As I've said elsewhere, if you are being hired by a contractor for Aramco, stick to your guns and demand what you feel you have a right to. I would simply tell them, if you pay my return ticket to the UK and accommodation in advance, I will interview there. Otherwise, when can I interview in the US? You should offer to reimburse them if you are not successful of course.

I would advise a similar firm position in regard to salary and location of work (Dhahran being the best of the bunch unless you have a particular reason for wanting a specific alternative location.)

I'm familiar with many contractors at Aramco but have not come across ETR before. I wonder why...

If ETR do not provide you with confidence at this stage, I'd advise you to drop them. Aramco contracting positions should be continuously advertised between now and the end of the year. Just hold out for another contractor who will not put you on edge from the word go.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
THis doesn't sound right. Bad omen is the right phrase to use. Aramco contractors have regular recruitment rounds in the US and they should not be requiring you to travel to the UK. Perhaps ETR specifically do not recruit from the US. But many others do.

I think the way it works is recruitment for Aramco occurs in many different places but at different dates for those places. If you can only apply on a certain date, you have to find a recruiter who deals with Aramco interviews on that date, or if you want to apply in a certain place like the USA, you have to find a recruiter that deals with Aramco interviews in the USA. It sounds to me like that is the way it works as weird as it is. I applied with an Aramco recruiter and I have to go to the Philippines, which I don't think I am going to. Aramco reimburses the travel cost as far as I know. At least my travel cost to the Philippines would be reimbursed if I went and actually talked to a recruiter. I don't know for sure how that works though.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right plumpy. I didn't explain it clearly enough.

Where are you based though? If you're in East Asia, the Philippines is the standard location.

I heard that if you get interviewed in Australia, you have a high likelihood of direct hire. No idea if that is actually true or not, nor how often recruitment is conducted there or where these sessions might be advertised.
okedata

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're a recuiter rather than a contractor. Your employee would be the contractor. In my experience ETR are OK.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're only a recruiter then Dr Monad would do well to find out who the contractor is. Does the Dr know?
Dejvice

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand contractor is SRACO. Seems to me you are dealing with a recruiter who will 'sell' you to SRACO.....who will then 'sell' you to ARAMCO.

From US to London is a long distance to come for an interview, with high competition. Recruiter should be upfront where they are in the chain.
Dejvice

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I had a situation where I was dealing with one recruiter, who was "selling" me to anther recruiter who was 'selling" me to a Saudi contractor who was selling me to their client.

Just ask direct Qs....and if the recruiter is willing to answer they will be upfront about it, if not the door will be closed and they will move on to the next CV that they feel they can sell.

In above case I just walked away. Although the "recruiter" still sends me emails stating they are dealing directly with the contractor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: