Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BAC Moscow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nexus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good one, that. Not a native speaker but it must be genuine - I can't imagine the school admin would try to entice a teacher to come by telling them that horror story.
njs7t3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right? I haven't decided for sure, but I think BAC is out of the running. My BKC-IH interview went okay...I felt like a dolt when he was going through the language awareness portion of the interview, but he was asking very narrow questions to which he wanted very specific answers. Oh well. I did my best. And from the scuttlebutt I think it's pretty likely that they'll offer me a job.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did they say they'd contact you about their decision?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more Russian lessons while you await info.

Here are some signs that you may see on the streets as you go about your business - should be easy enough to decipher:

метро

кафе

бар

МакДоналдс

такси

Полиция

театр

Дума

фитнес клуб
njs7t3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't say when they'd get back to me, which feels like a bad omen. I think I may actually take the BAC job. It's the only offer I've gotten so far. I know things are going to be difficult. As a newly qualified teacher, I'm not sure I'm going to get a better offer. The BKC-IH interview didn't go very well, as I posted elsewhere. I know that I need to bring a coat, and I've started my Cyrillic lessons. Any other advice about moving to Moscow or the region would be great.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd. They are supposed to at least give you at final date when they'll give you a result - even if it is just a 'regrets' email. Follow up the interview with an email of enquiry if you don't hear back in a few more days. And unless there is a specific reason not to hire, the fact you have made it to interview stage at all is in itself a good sign. Don't give up hope just yet.

Advice re moving to Moscow.

Get your degrees etc apostiled while at home. Multiple copies, if you can. You'll probably need them at some point in Moscow, where it is harder to organise.

Take passport photos with you. Lots of them. But make sure the are matt finish. This is needed as Russian documents with a photo are stamped, so the ink tends to run on glossy photos. (Easily available in Russia, but hard to organise on your own, the first week.)

Use a traveller's pouch to carry cash and passport, especially if you are anywhere near railway stations. While scare stories about crime in Russia can be exaggerated, petty crime like pick pocketing is fairly common in transit areas.

Do NOT ever take a taxi from the airport. The lads hustling passengers as they leave the departure area will massively overcharge you. Basically mafioso. If your school transfer doesn't happen, though highly unlikely, then at least use one of the taxi desks at the airports. The price is fixed by city zone, and is paid in advance. No resulting arguments with driver. Of course, if during the daytime, you could take the aeroexpress service.

http://www.aeroexpress.ru/en/

Have enough cash to get you through the first month at least. Prices of foodstuffs in Russia are relatively high. Don't think that fifty quid will see you to your first pay-packet. Having a back-up credit card is a good idea too.

For the first while at least, you are better off exchanging money in an official bank, rather than the shady-looking bureau d'change kiosks. The banks may be a little more expensive, but they are totally safe. The others are not.

Check your mobile phone will work in Russia. It should, but just be sure for your first few days. You do not want to be stranded at the airport with no means of contacting anyone.

Get a school admin person to get a local SIM card for you. If it is in your name, beware that you'll need to give loads of docs to the phone company, and roaming is linked to your address registration. Major pain.

Last, but not least, basic good sense is all that is usually needed in Moscow for personal security. Don't get blotto with strangers in a new bar or club. Don't flash expensive camera gear on the metro. Don't stagger around the streets, lost and inebriated, late at night. Always carry at least a photocopy of your ID on your person.

Welcome to Moscow! Very Happy
Foma87

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on about the notarization/apostle of diploma + transcripts, at least if you plan on staying here longterm. I've spent the last few months getting these together from Moscow and it's been a major expense. You'll probably not have the stomach for it on top of moving to another country, but wow do I wish I'd done it before I left...
njs7t3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding phones: I talked to AT&T and they said that none of my services would work over there under my current plan (or at least that there would be incredibly expensive charges). So I was going to cancel my contract with them and just get a tracfone or something when I got over. Should I just keep my Droid and cancel the service and a company over there can hook me up with the same phone? I don't know what the best option is. I don't plan to be calling home a lot. I really just figured it'd be essential for new friends, emergencies...in-country calling.
njs7t3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Apostilled documents: What am I going to need? I'm assuming my BA and my CELTA, anything else? Also, I had planned to leave the original documents in the States...do I need to bring them with me? And when you say as many as possible...I thought they only apostilled the original document, so how do I get multiple copies of these things?
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njs7t3 wrote:
Regarding phones: I talked to AT&T and they said that none of my services would work over there under my current plan (or at least that there would be incredibly expensive charges). So I was going to cancel my contract with them and just get a tracfone or something when I got over. Should I just keep my Droid and cancel the service and a company over there can hook me up with the same phone? I don't know what the best option is. I don't plan to be calling home a lot. I really just figured it'd be essential for new friends, emergencies...in-country calling.

If you're American, the issue is usually the technology, not the carrier. American phones operate on a different frequency than European phones. Some phones are programmed to work on both frequencies. Assuming AT&T told you that your phone will work in Russia, there's a good chance it's programmed for both.

However, I wouldn't keep the AT&T plan for more than a few days once you're here. It'll be far cheaper to use your Russian sim card to call home. Still expensive, but cheaper. If you're lucky, you might be able to fit a Russian sim card into your American phone, but if not, a cheap phone here shouldn't cost you more than $50-60.
Shelby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Apostilles. I only needed to get an Apostille for my CELTA not the BA although different employers may require the BA as well. The CELTA was required to extend my visa beyond the original 90 days. The apostille is put on a copy of your certificate to validate that the certificate is genuine so it is easy to obtain multiple copies. You need to produce the original certificate in order to obtain the Apostille.
njs7t3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accepted the job with BAC. BKC-IH declined to offer me a position. They haven't requested any apostilles yet. My BA won't be so hard, it's the CELTA that I got in San Francisco. Looks like I'll have to mail it back to California, and it's not even the official certificate. It's the temporary one. Lame. Also, what's the best way to get my money to Moscow? Suggestions?
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njs7t3 wrote:
Also, what's the best way to get my money to Moscow? Suggestions?

Wear a money belt that goes around your waist under your shirt and bring it in as cash. The only other way is to do a bank transfer, but that's expensive, and you'll have to wait a week or two to set up a Russian bank account. Also, make sure you have new bills with no defects. Any pen marks, pinholes or rips are likely to have exchange offices here refuse to take them. It might take a little persuasion on your part at the bank in America, but if you insist that exchange offices in Russia will only accept brand-spanking new bills, they'll (US banks) usually oblige you with them.

Don't rely on debit or credit cards as the American ones occasionally don't work over here.
Nexus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with the job Nathan. You seem like a serious teacher looking to make a good start - BAC are lucky to have you.

The general way of things is to keep an eye out for better options when you're here.

Cash is the way to go until you get your bank account set up. Much better than bringing traveller's cheques.

I used to have a CitiBank (shittybank) account when I was in the states and I used to be able to use my ATM card to make cash withdrawals at CitiBank worldwide (even though they are essentially different companies). You could also look into that but, of course, don't rely on that exclusively - you'll need the cash anyway in case they give you the blank "nyet"
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Some well-meaning advice...... Reply with quote

Do you have any idea where you will be living in relation to where you will be working?Are your lessons in one location or all over the city?Also is accom. in a private flat or shared with someone you don't even know at all and may not get along with?
The reasons I am writing this is because I have come across people with serious problems on these issues which are not at all easy to resolve,especially when you will only be earning 40.000 roubles per month which is is minimum salary for a Moscow Mac school,even more so with food prices there nowadays etc.
As for the question of transport,do you have any idea what kind of work schedule you will have i.e. continuous or split with early starts and then a long break followed by evenings?Unless you are lucky enough to be living very near where you work and can at least go home for a break during the day,you could end up being away for over 12 hours per day and believe you me,it is exhausting,especially when you factor in travelling on very crowded metro trains and buses etc.I found that the morning crush-hour was worst of all but was able to work from mid-day until evening,which suited me fine as I could lie-in during the mornings.
Also remember that the worst weather is on its way at this time of year and in winter you could end up going in and out from really sub-zero temperatures outside into really over heated buildings in a city which is over-crowded,polluted and stressful at the best of times.To be honest for 40 roubles, after knowing what I learned from personal experience there,I wouldn't even consider it....and do take Sashas advice and learn to erad that Cyrillic alphabet...it's not as hard as it looks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: