Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who are the 'survivors' in Saudi -- and who can't take it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeyes wrote:
VS Thanks again for your replies -- your advice was very helpful helpful too about three years ago. What has been going on with HCT I wonder? I do remember about three years ago, there was internal conflict.

Take a look at a few of the threads for the last couple years on the UAE board. Internal conflict is pretty much endemic these days to institutions both large and small in the Gulf. Just as with the Saudi positions, much has to do with your ability to tolerate the bad with the good. Laughing

If you get to the place of actually applying there, send me a PM and we can get to the specifics.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have burnt your boats back home and/or are a fugitive from justice, you are more likely to stick it out in KSA !
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Survivor Reply with quote

Do you have a project, a book or dissertation to write?
Are you without children? (Don't bring kids to Saudi.)
If married, how does your spouse view the situation, and where could he/she live? Is long-term separation not an issue, or an impossibility?
Will you be living in a resort compound or sharing a decrepit apartment?
Can you live in a bubble, be it a golden cage or a roach invested prison?

Finally, is the chance to do umhra or hadj attractive to you?

These are some questions to ask yourself.
redeyes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulezar, thanks for your reply -- I appreciate your points. As to where I'd live : I have had an offer from what contacts in Saudi have told me is a good and fair university, but then again, I have no idea what 'typical' or standard married accomodation is like for Uni staff in KSA. No idea at all.

Yes, I have children -- a young daughter, nearly seven -- can you tell me why I shouldn't bring children?

Thanks for your advice -- I appreciate all comments.

Regarding Islam, I am not going to Saudi for any thing like religious fulfilment -- I am not inclined towards Wahabi-ism, but I have great appreciation of certain aspects of the religion, and great respect for some of the teachings. I grew up with Muslims, and have good companions, from Shia , Sunni and Sufi sects. I have studied Islamic thought ( mostly from Shia teachings though, and I know they aren't popular in Saudi).

However -- I am under no illusions. I am fully aware that **none** of the above prepares someone for 'the Saudi experience.'

I feel completely naive about KSA -- that's why I am asking a lot.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeyes wrote:
As to where I'd live : I have had an offer from what contacts in Saudi have told me is a good and fair university, but then again, I have no idea what 'typical' or standard married accommodation is like for Uni staff in KSA. No idea at all.

You could ask for photos.

redeyes wrote:
Yes, I have children -- a young daughter, nearly seven -- can you tell me why I shouldn't bring children?

Have you asked about her schooling? Do you get an allowance that would cover an international school? Is there such a school? It can be a lonely life for a kid. Do you want her to be schooled in a segregated school? How is she with wearing a headscarf? Recreation for young girls can be limited. Depending where you are, she may have to give up bike riding and other sports.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeyes asks "Yes, I have children -- a young daughter, nearly seven -- can you tell me why I shouldn't bring children? "

Chiuldren, especially, females, will live in a very restricted environment. Things that you take for granted - going for a bike ride, walking to a friend's house may not be possible (depebding on accommodation).

In ONE of my jobs (with Saudi Arabian Airlines) we lived in a very large Western-style compound. Most employers (INCLUDING ALL UNIVERSITIES) are NOT in a position to offer this kind of "gated community".

Schools that you would considedr suitable charge fees that would be beyond your means. SR30,000 per child per annum OR MORE - unless you want to send the unfortunates to a school providing very poor educational standards.

20 years ago things were different. You have missed out on the "Golden Age" !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not bring a child if you do not have legal custody over him/her. This is very basic, since it is an international crime, and a very serious one at that. The fact they you have a daughter does not grant you a license to bring another child into the kingdom.

Also, if you are coming to teach English, please refresh your knowledge of irregular plural nouns. We don't need more corruptions of the language like "a dice", etc.

Rolling Eyes

redeyes wrote:

veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Willard wrote:
The fact remains that you were asking advice about doing something which appeared to be very illegal.

What are you talking about? What illegal act?

He merely asked about bringing his wife and kid to Saudi.

You seem to have sucked out of your thumb some idea that he planned to kidnap a half dozen street kids in his current country and drag them to Saudi to work as street beggars... or something... ??

It is no wonder he thought you might be smoking something... Laughing

Not to mention that it was you that started the grammar war... it is you that decided to misinterpret the use of the word "children" which he had already clarified - saying that he a daughter.

VS
(can someone hijack their own thread?)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: