Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are the wages in that dump called Kuwait so pathetic?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Why are the wages in that dump called Kuwait so pathetic? Reply with quote

Are there any well-paid jobs there? More ads on another website and more atrocious salaries. It's not like the location compensates you in any way is it?

Waste of time and effort that place.
cfaulkner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because westerners are desperate now. It hasn't caught on in the Middle East yet, but it will soon. An oversupply of resumes means salaries can be cut everywhere and they'll still have plenty of teachers to choose from. Cut salaries to an average of 1500 a month without housing and what-not, and there will be teachers who will accept it.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't be native speakers...

VS
mashkif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfaulkner wrote:
Because westerners are desperate now. It hasn't caught on in the Middle East yet, but it will soon. An oversupply of resumes means salaries can be cut everywhere and they'll still have plenty of teachers to choose from. Cut salaries to an average of 1500 a month without housing and what-not, and there will be teachers who will accept it.

Um, I think most would consider 1,500 K.D. (~$5,300) a pretty good salary for an E.F.L. teacher. Good, furnished accommodations can be found in Kuwait for under 300 K.D., which still leave you with well over $4,000 net. I don't know where you've worked but in this "profession" that's not something to sniff at.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be more helpful if you would mention who is paying that 1500 KD number... and what credentials are required to get that number... rather than throwing it out with the suggestion that it is common and usual.

VS
cfaulkner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1500. U. S. Dollars.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfaulkner wrote:
1500. U. S. Dollars.

Still won't get any native speakers or anyone with decent credentials or experience... back-packer pay... I earned more than this in 1988 in my first job in Gulf.

You are being completely ridiculous.

Or just trolling. Laughing

VS
mashkif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfaulkner wrote:
1500. U. S. Dollars.

Bull. That equates to 400 K.D. and some change. The shadiest, two-bit holes-in-the-wall outfits don't pay that little.
sharter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

300KD for somewhere to live...yeah right ...that's what a small tent costs in the Sultan Centre.....Makif...you must be Bedoon.
huh?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left Kuwait a year ago. I had a nice two-bedroom apartment in Hawalli for KD220 - the building was clean, quiet, friendly and conveniently located. There were small but really nice one-bedrooms in Hawalli and Meidan Hawalli for 190-240KD. Friends in Salmiya had roomy, nice two-bedrooms for 250-300KD. Has it really changed so much in a year? Most westerners I knew lived in buildings where they were the only westerner - buildings that cater to expats tend to be more expensive.

Friends in older, established international schools were making 1000-1400KD tax free. Compare that to jobs in the US or Britain - it isn't bad. I was at Kuwait University making about 60000 USD. The university has just given a raise and the expats still there in the unit where I worked make 70000-95000 USD (1650-2250KD a month). But the university seems to be phasing out expats.

Once it was possible for people with little experience and few qualifications to get incredibly high pay in the ME. But the ME countries have wised up. Serious schools have lots of costs beyond what they pay in salaries and housing. They know that they can get experienced, qualified people without paying outageous salaries. They have realized that there is no point in paying outrageous sums to people with nothing special to offer.

You think Kuwait is a dump, and so you need hardship pay. Maybe you had a really bad job - I feel for you. But a fair number of people have jobs they like and have a good life in Kuwait. They don't want hardship pay, just a job that reflects their qualifications and experience. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
mashkif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: lol Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
300KD for somewhere to live...yeah right ...that's what a small tent costs in the Sultan Centre.....Makif...you must be Bedoon.

Stop trolling, put your ass in motion and take a tour of buildings with vacancies. Even in prestigious areas such as Salmiya or Salwa it's easy to find decent unfurnished apartments for 200-300 K.D.; in places like Mahboula and further south it's even cheaper. Furnished accommodations are 50-100 K.D. higher.

Of course, if you're a precious little carnation who wants to be pampered in a way you couldn't dream of being able to afford where you're from, you can pay 700 K.D. for the same thing but with a fancy lobby and a concierge who's going to trip over himself to make you feel special, hoping you slip him a half dinar every now and again. I think it's called being a fool, and there's some adage about a fool and his money...

As for me, I need a clean, airy abode to sleep, shower, do some work, and eat in. 300 K.D. easily provides that.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: