Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favourite Place to Teach...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tralfamador is good. Kilgore Trout and I are doing well here.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Qaaolchoura. Teaching motivated adults who have things to say makes for a good experience. I love teaching in Italy - mainly because Italians are such nice people. Demons behind the wheel of a car, but generally speaking, lovely face-to-face. Even Italian teens are mostly sweet (though perhaps not en masse on a school trip to Brighton...)

What I hate about Italy - that the only things that seem to be organised are crime, and the systems designed to relieve you of your money.
contented

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
What I hate about Italy - that the only things that seem to be organised are crime, and the systems designed to relieve you of your money.

that's so funny Laughing
Ixchel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A private language school in Los Angeles teaching Japanese salarymen and their wives and children. What a joy it was. Even if they didn't want to be there they were polite and respectful and hard-working. I should post on the Japan forum and see what it's like in-country. I grew up in a huge Japanese community and have never been there. Crying or Very sad
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love teaching in Mexico so much that I gave up my dreams to see at least three more countries before getting out of TEFL and I'm just a few weeks away from my 15th anniversary.
I work in a small town. I'm from a small town. I feel very much at home here. I speak the language well now, I already had many years of Spanish study under my belt before arriving. The area I live in has a lot of immigrants and I feel that makes the locals kind to strangers. They generally do not have a negative feeling towards the US as they have been there or have friends and family there. And the ones who have been there are always telling me stories about Americans who helped them out--rather than anti-immigrant stories. The air quality here is excellent. The food is fresh and tasty, I'm in the mountains as well as the tropics so it's not-to-hot-not-to-cold almost all the time. I enjoy latin music and dancing.
On the work side I work at a public institution with lovely students, they are very busy and could be more motivated, but they are nice and respectful. I feel like I'm making a slight difference in their lives. (which may not be true, but I enjoy the feeling). I get paid comfortably and on-time. I have a nice benefits package. I'm allowed to develop myself professionally as much or as little as I like.
cmp45

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I love teaching in Mexico so much that I gave up my dreams to see at least three more countries before getting out of TEFL and I'm just a few weeks away from my 15th anniversary.
I work in a small town. I'm from a small town. I feel very much at home here. I speak the language well now, I already had many years of Spanish study under my belt before arriving. The area I live in has a lot of immigrants and I feel that makes the locals kind to strangers. They generally do not have a negative feeling towards the US as they have been there or have friends and family there. And the ones who have been there are always telling me stories about Americans who helped them out--rather than anti-immigrant stories. The air quality here is excellent. The food is fresh and tasty, I'm in the mountains as well as the tropics so it's not-to-hot-not-to-cold almost all the time. I enjoy latin music and dancing.
On the work side I work at a public institution with lovely students, they are very busy and could be more motivated, but they are nice and respectful. I feel like I'm making a slight difference in their lives. (which may not be true, but I enjoy the feeling). I get paid comfortably and on-time. I have a nice benefits package. I'm allowed to develop myself professionally as much or as little as I like.

Wow! Your situation is very idyllic! Also proves that one should not judge a person by their 'moniker' Laughing
contented

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I feel like I'm making a slight difference in their lives. (which may not be true, but I enjoy the feeling).
I think this is very important. I find when I am in a teaching position and this feeling is absent I don't stay long.

It's great that you feel you are making a difference and I'm sure you are.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wow! Your situation is very idyllic! Also proves that one should not judge a person by their 'moniker' Laughing

What? I'm a mother, my name starts with an F. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: