Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do programs / schools in the US accept CELTA certification?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pancake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Do programs / schools in the US accept CELTA certification? Reply with quote

Hello, I have an MA in TESOL and a CELTA certificate, as well as over 20 years experience outside the US, including teaching in government high schools and university preparatory programs.
For financial reasons, I was never able, as a graduate student, to go through the ever-increasing cost of obtaining state certification. This now means that, even with exemplary international experience, I am unable to obtain a teaching position in any US public school system.
When my last job ended seven months ago, and with no employment prospects in sight (I am a very "young" 65) I returned to the US, but need to get back into the classroom to save my sanity. I have discovered that it is impossible to obtain a work visa for overseas teaching at my age.
Are there programs or schools in the US that accept a CELTA qualification?
I have questioned school administrators here in the US, as well as ESL teachers in the system, and am amazed that none of them even know what the CELTA is!!
This situation only adds to my belief that the US is just as insular as it has always been, and that with increasing numbers of immigrants, this country is only paying lip-service to the language needs of the wider community. I feel completely lost in this "new" version of America, and don't know which way to turn.
Can anybody offer some CONSTRUCTIVE input here? Many thanks.

Last edited by pancake on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
denise

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your qualifications are more suitable for university intensive English programs than for K-12 teaching. If you look into such university jobs (and yes, there are full-time jobs out there, despite what people may tell you), you should find that they have certainly heard of the CELTA and would look quite favorably upon your qualifications.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Do programs / schools in the US accept CELTA certificati Reply with quote

pancake wrote:
Hello, I have an MA in TESOL and a CELTA certificate, as well as over 20 years experience outside the US, including teaching in government high schools and university preparatory programs.
For financial reasons, I was never able, as a graduate student, to go through the ever-increasing cost of obtaining state certification. This now means that, even with exemplary international experience, I am unable to obtain a teaching position in any US public school system.
When my last job ended seven months ago, and with no employment prospects in sight (I am a very "young" 65) I returned to the US, but need to get back into the classroom to save my sanity. I have discovered that it is impossible to obtain a work visa for overseas teaching at my age.
I have questioned school administrators here in the US, as well as ESL teachers in the system, and am amazed that none of them even know what the CELTA is!!
This situation only adds to my belief that the US is just as insular as it has always been, and that with increasing numbers of immigrants, this country is only paying lip-service to the language needs of the wider community. I feel completely lost in this "new" version of America, and don't know which way to turn.

Hardly insular as in every country teachers need local teaching credentials/certs and usually a degree from a "normal school" (i.e. teacher's college). The US is not unique in that.

I remember when I was getting my MA and credential in Ed Counseling my professor said he got angry calls all the time from people who had PhD's in Psych who thought they should just walk in school counseling/psych jobs. He himself, had his PhD in Ed Psych plus his state school psych credential.

A teaching credential takes two years to complete plus during that time a year of supervised teaching. I have 3 state teaching credentials and an MA. It is far more work than a 140 hour CELTA AND teachers in most school districts in the US must have Master's Degrees in addition.

I agree that you'd do well to teach in a university ESL program. With your TESOL MA and years of experience I think you'd have a good shot.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Do programs / schools in the US accept CELTA certificati Reply with quote

pancake wrote:
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Do programs / schools in the US accept CELTA certificati Reply with quote

pancake wrote:

Not surprising. ESL and EFL are entirely different worlds. Anybody care to comment on the difference between an ESL additional qual course and a CELTA (equiv)? It's my understanding that many 'spec ed' programs were axed a long time ago turning regular teachers into 'specedulists' or so I'd learned in 2010.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: