Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indonesia vs. Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iceman33

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Indonesia vs. Thailand Reply with quote

From what I've read online (and I don't take a lot of it at face value - vive la naivet�!), people appear to complain more about Thailand than Indonesia. So the, it is safe to say that I've been getting this impression that EFL instructors seem happier overall in the Land of Many Islands than they do in the Land of Smiles. Does it have to do with better rapport with school managers, translating over to better work conditions and atmosphere for the teachers? Could it be in part due to the students coming off as more sincere, if you will, in the most general sense of general? Perhaps the culture, as said above, is more accessible to foreigners because of the "easier" Indonesian language (if there is such a thing), making you feel more, I don't know, "integrated". I'm not sure it has much to do with pay as both countries seem to pay pretty the same in terms of salaries (Maybe I'm wrong here). You tell me, please, my dear colleagues of Dave's ESL Cafe, as there are certainly a few of you who know better than I. Very Happy
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indonesia... 250 million people and according to SEAMEO about 5,000 -10,000 EFL teachers (many of whom are illegal/undocumented).
Thailand.... 65 million people and 30,000 foreigners (1/2 of whom are undocumented) teaching English.

What are the odds of getting complaints.

JZer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indonesia sounds like a nice place. However most schools don't seem to pay very well.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Indonesia sounds like a nice place. However most schools don't seem to pay very well.

While mostly true you also have to put it into the context if the local economy.

Compare standard of living, job requirements/hours and net savings over a year and NOT just the base salary when comparing jobs across different economies.

JZer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$800 a month doesn't go far in Indonesia or anywhere else. Of course you can make more if you are a certified teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: