Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good bars?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camproad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Good bars? Reply with quote

Currently I live in Dammam, Saudi Arabia and plan on coming to Bahrain every now and then for a night out. I was hoping you kind people could point me in the direction of good bars to go for a drink (I'm not interested in ladies of the night.) Also, will bars be open on weekend before Hajj holiday (25/26 Oct)?
Thanks
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bars are all focussed in one area - round the Dilmon Hotel in the downtown area near the souk.. Most have hookers and many have proselytsing perverts. They are often full of TEFLers from KSA seeking solace. Sad.

I will quote to you from Proverbs in the hope that you REPENT

20 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott obviously frequented some lowly dives while on his campaign to save fallen women (saving them for himself, perhaps?). Doubtless he prayed to his Presbyterian God for forgiveness thereafter. Very Happy

Most of the hotel bars around the Suk are pretty ghastly - depressing even, unless you have a penchant for drinking in dingy, furtive, surroundings in the company of raucous, drunken Saudis and Kuwaitis and low-life Bahrainis. About the only thing they have going for them is that they are comparatively cheap.

It is a while since I left Bahrain, but it really depends what you are looking for. The island does have a fairly eclectic mix of entertainment venues (by Gulf standards, anyway). The Warbler and Sherlock Holmes bars are fairly popular expat places, with a UK pub-style theme, and pretty good bar food too. Likewise JJ's and Exchange Pub & Restaurant in Gudaibiya. For something a little different and more upmarket try Trader Vics in Seef, Typhoon in the Gulf Hotel, or Upstairs Downstairs in Adliyah. A personal favourite was the Wine Bar in Mansouri Mansions, which always had a nice mix of interesting expats and educated, well-behaved locals at prices which won't break the bank. Drinking out in Bahrain can be a costly affair.

The following link offers a pretty good overview of things to do and places to go:

http://www.timeoutbahrain.com
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All (or most) of my comments are made tongue in cheek, but bars in Bahrain are grim.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all of them by any means, although I quite agree that the ones around the Suk and many of those on Exhibition Road are. Most of the ones I mentioned above are fine. Generally, the more upmarket you go, the more pleasant the ambience, but of course the greater the dent in your bank balance.
mashkif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to consider the morality of patronizing a country whose despicable regime has been engaged in savage brutality against its pro-democracy/anti-dictatorship activists, as well as others vaguely if at all connected to them, for almost two years.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear mashkif,

"You may want to consider the morality of patronizing a country whose despicable regime has been engaged in savage brutality against its pro-democracy/anti-dictatorship activists, as well as others vaguely if at all connected to them, for almost two years."

Well, that wipes just about the whole Middle East off of the EFL job scene (not to mention "a few" other places. And don't get me started on ESL.

Regards,
John
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
All (or most) of my comments are made tongue in cheek, but bars in Bahrain are grim.

...and they can be full of Saudis seeking alcohol and, well...you know. Embarassed

MEB Cool
Abdullah the Enforcer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle East Beast wrote:
scot47 wrote:

...and they can be full of Saudis seeking alcohol and, well...you know. Embarassed

MEB Cool

Abdullah confused. Confused You mean "Saudi Expats". Anyone knows that Saudis, themselves, are God-fearing Wahabis and would NEVER consider drinking alkool!

Repent, rabbit! Exclamation
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abdullah the Enforcer wrote:
Middle East Beast wrote:
scot47 wrote:

MEB Cool

Abdullah confused. Confused You mean "Saudi Expats". Anyone knows that Saudis, themselves, are God-fearing Wahabis and would NEVER consider drinking alkool!

Repent, rabbit! Exclamation

Sarcasm duly noted...by the way, mistaking me for a filthy varmint is inexcusable!!! Laughing Laughing

MEB Cool
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Abdullah used to call himself "ghost'?

VS
Abdullah the Enforcer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Did Abdullah used to call himself "ghost'?

VS

Abdullah sometimes mistaken for ghost when nature calls in the wee, wee hours.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teacher known as "ghost" no longer posts here because his Irish boss told him off for divulging secrets on this forum. Naughty Ghost !
jaffa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juffair is where you get the decent bars, mostly attached to hotels and aimed at the servicemen/women whose ship is in dock. Some great, regular pubs can be found.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://biblesuite.com/proverbs/21-17.htm

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+23%3A21&version=KJV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: