Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to Return to Singapore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tesolmaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Looking to Return to Singapore Reply with quote

I am 37 year old African American man - it's interesting I have to mention my race, since "race" in parts of Asia still matter* - who would like to return to Singapore to teach. I recently graduated with my Bachelor's this June in American Studies, focused on Asian American Studies; and, I studied at NUS Fall 2011. However, I now realized that I primarily experienced Singapore within NUS (well, NUS, Clementi Mall, Pulau Ubin). As of now, I don't have teaching credentials, just my Bachelor's; I'm still debating on doing the offline $600 TEFL course.

I actually want to someday return to either NUS and NTU to get my Master's, and I would like to work in their film industry (which is lacking in strong storylines, but that is for another thread). As I am working towards those goals, I do want to go for a job in teaching; I understand there is the MOE and businesses like I Can Read. I did send an email to the MOE asking for qualifications needed for teaching, as well as to the Singapore I Can Read email:[email protected] I haven't received a reply from since I sent that email 15 days ago.

And, yes, I've read the reviews on I Can Read...not only on this site, but another site, which name escapes me.Embarassed

A little more background: Initially I was set to go to Korea - working with the recruiter, AST Korea - after I graduated, but my criminal background checks (needed for Korean immigration) were lost in the mail, and I had to go through the process again. However, some friends of mine weren't feeling entirely convinced when I told them my experience with the recruiter I was working with, and suggested I look into more options....particularly stable. (I was actually looking to stay in Korea for a year, and hopefully go back to Singapore for grad school after I got my teaching experience). On the other hand, another option is to go to Taiwan through Reach to Teach.

I'm probably repeating some of which has been posted before by other site newbies, and there are probably some grammatical errors in this post (since I'm typing this at 4:17am). However, any suggestions would be helpful; I'm actually looking at the earlier posts as well as other online forums.

*I actually only had issues with one Singaporean, many of my issues were with fellow American students. Actually, during my entire time, I was mainly hanging around with Singaporeans. Too, I took a class at NUS -taught by a Caucasian woman- called "African American Literature"...where I was the only black student, and everyone else was Singaporean; it was really interesting some of the insights...and I touched bases with the instructor a few weeks back.
Amalia83

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the real killer race-wise if you want to teach in Asia is being... euh... Asian. Schools like to have someone foreign-looking - parents have more faith in them

Though I did once know an old guy from Jamaica who had no end of trouble finding a teaching job in China because people thought he looked Tibetan...
tesolmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia83 wrote:
In my experience the real killer race-wise if you want to teach in Asia is being... euh... Asian. Schools like to have someone foreign-looking - parents have more faith in them

Though I did once know an old guy from Jamaica who had no end of trouble finding a teaching job in China because people thought he looked Tibetan...

It was interesting when I was at NUS in Singapore, checking in during orientation. I was with an Asian American student and he was automatically thought to be a Singaporean and pushed to be in a slower line or line for Singaporean students. I was directed to the International Student line where I didn't have to wait so long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: