Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA - choice between two countires
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, got it thanks General Disarray! I don't know if it's a sign or anything but in my current job I'm getting really good at spotting spelling and grammar mistakes... Will have to have a beer when I'm there mid next year.
zeddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

So I've been accepted for the CELTA course in Budapest May/June this year. Hoorah!

One more bit of advice I'd like some input on would be the chance of scoring a summer school job post-course. I've read that the school year starts in September, and I'd obviously like to do some travel between mid-June and late-August ready to apply for jobs but ideally get some semi-regular work in between.

Has anyone had experience in teaching over the summer months in that area?

Cheers!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get lucky and find something, but the work that's around will go first to teachers who were there for the last contract period; they'll have all the contacts and local rep to snag most of what's happening for the summer semester. Generally for the European area, there isn't that much happening in July/August; holiday times are taken pretty seriously here.

Basically, you may be able to find something if you scrounge around, but I wouldn't count on it 100% in terms of actual income to bank on.
General Disarray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeddy wrote:
Hi there,

So I've been accepted for the CELTA course in Budapest May/June this One more bit of advice I'd like some input on would be the chance of scoring a summer school job post-course. I've read that the school year starts in September, and I'd obviously like to do some travel between mid-June and late-August ready to apply for jobs but ideally get some semi-regular work in between.

Has anyone had experience in teaching over the summer months in that area?

Cheers!

July there is lots of work in language schools due to fact staff contracts end in June and they all go home/summer schools in England but August time, you'll have problems finding Hungarians living in the city let alone getting them to invest their money.

Enjoy yourself mate, had the best two years of my life in that city and I'm tempted to move back in September once my PGCE course finishes, already been back 3 times in the last 5 months since leaving!! The summer is a good time to be there as well.

Still in contact with a couple of the course tutors, I think one of them is in Thailand at the moment for 6 months, not sure if he'll be back by the time you get there though.

Head to England for summer work if you have the correct work permit, can make around �2k with plenty of jobs on offer. Failing that, try EF (Malta) but only pays around 200euros a week.

The majority of summer schools in England start 1st July as well which means your timing should be spot on.
zeddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips there fellas. Actually worked in London for a while a couple of years back [not teaching however], so sounds like a feasible option there if there's plenty of work around as I've got a bank account, NIN and EU passport too. Making some GBP before heading back to Forint-land would be good financially hey?

Currently working full-time here so work and money over there isn't an overly pressing issue, more music festivals, travel, chicks and beer!
General Disarray

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect mate, I worked 3 weeks at LAL (good company to work for if you are new I reckon, google them)

Paid enough money to last 3 months in Hungary which included a deposit for the flat.

I'd advised going down the summer school route (start applying February time if you can and state that you will have a CELTA).

Sziget is the big music festival in Hungary, Stone Roses headlined last year.

Plenty of beer (roughly 350 - 550 forint a beer).

Plenty of "chicks" as well.
zeddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info GD, will check out online jobs next month in the UK.

Been to Sziget a few times and it's one of my favourites, just a really good atmosphere.
zeddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

Just a quick update: after thinking long and hard, weighing up pros and cons etc I've decided to defer my CELTA experience until 2014. Basically it came down to my financial and work situation vs wanting to go and have fun and learn something new.

Living remotely in the Northern Territory means I can put aside some cash and finally pay off my credit card, that and I'm working in a national park - not bad! Still peachy keen to do the CELTA course, teach English and travel around however I know what it was like when I was living in London in 2011, working a little bit and struggling for money. After reading quite a few of the blogs it's apparent that it's not an overly well-paid job so I'd rather not have to worry too much about deniro while I'm over there.

Many thanks to the contributors, particularly General Disarray and spiral78 and will continue to follow the blogs here.

Cheers,
Z
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: