Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New teacher - Spain, France, Italy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wdolidol1991

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: New teacher - Spain, France, Italy Reply with quote

Hi all!

I am a native (British) english speaker with a British passport. I will be graduating from a degree this May and intend to take a CELTA in June. I will have no teaching experience apart from helping out at a homework club for kids afterschool.

I would like to teach english in France (preferably) or Italy/Spain. The way I understand it is that I take the CELTA and then search for jobs at private language institutes in the respective country. Is this the way to go about it? If so, can anyone give me an idea of how much demand there is for english teachers in these three countries and what salary/benefits a new teacher could expect.

Thanks very much for your responses
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demand is at a level at which work can be found, but most reputable employers will want to see you in their offices, CV in hand, looking professional and reliable, and ready to teach a demo lesson. Demand in this region is generally not such that anyone reputable would hire a teacher sight-unseen; why take the risk when there are teachers already around? So you are correct that you'll need to search for jobs in person.

One idea is to take the CELTA in a European city where you would like to work - this allows for networking during the course and a training centre can give you useful contacts and advice regarding reputable local employers.

Main hiring period is September and most contracts are September/October through June. There is very little outside of a few summer camps in July and August. If you are trying to find jobs in July and August, you're likely to struggle for a bit.

Salary/benefits? Don't know what benefits you might have in mind, but salaries at the entry level are basiscally subsistence. The general rule of thumb is that you can plan to make enough to live on fairly frugally and to enjoy your time wherever, but not to save up or to pay off debts back home.
Highly unlikely you would find a school that would pay for flights home or anything like that, if that's what you mean by benefits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: