Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How old is too old?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a creepy reprobate type of thing to do. I mean, he could have been hosting Marx reading lessons!!!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Latin America, it's often the work visa that's hard to get for TEFL teachers. Since you are an experienced PS teacher. You might want to look into teaching or getting an admin job at international schools, but age is also an issue there.

Here are two really good articles.

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/nonmembers/age-article.htm

http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscuss.wordpress.com/2009/09/09/the-over-60option-ask-a-question-share-experiences-advice-and-support/

www.ibo.org and www.tes.co.uk are also good and have lots of info.

Like people say, at 68 it might be hard to get a job. You might have it easier at 57. Just try to stay at that job as long as possible.
Concepcion780

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a public school teacher, you could look into international/ American schools. Going to an international school would also probably be easier on your granddaughter.

Last year I moved with a five year old to a new country to teach English, she went to the bilingual school that I was working at, but it was so much harder on her than I expected (just school, she made friends in the neighborhood and generally had a good time). So I would say that even if your husband can't find work being older and not a certified teacher, maybe he could be a stay-at-home-grandpa/ devote time to writing or any other portable hobbies/ interests he has. If he is available to home-school your grandchild for a few months to a year as she settles in you might find that to really be a godsend. And if it turns out there is no need for him to do that, he might find it easier to get a job with a language school or do private tutoring once you are there.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:
scot47 wrote:
I have never heard of people being TAKEN ON at those advanced ages. KEPT ON maybe !! Renewal or new hire ?

I agree that this in a very important distinction. A new applicant is in an entirely different (and much less advantageous) position than an already in-place teacher with local experience. The prospects of being a new hire are substantially less than those of being offered a contract renewal. When we hear anecdotes of a 70-year-old, for example, working in China, they are almost without exception about someone who has been able to continue working there, not about a new arrival.

Latin America, however, is a region where age is not the issue that it is in the Middle East and China. Also, tttompatz makes a very importent point: you will not find work from home; you will have to be in country presenting yourselves in person.

My dad in his 70's was a new hire. He had never taught let alone overseas. He did it for amusement and they asked him back several times. He lost interest after a while and stopped but I don't think it's impossible to get hired if you're older. I've seen more age limits on teaching jobs in Mexico than any other country.
lauriebroome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Thank you so much Reply with quote

I do appreciate all the comments. Thanks to each of you for your experience and opinions.
52skidoo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try TEALIT.com, teaching English and living in Taiwan. There are a few jobs that require a teacher to hold a state license to teach that pay 80,000NT, $2,750 usd a month. At age 57 you could probably get one of those jobs working in a High School. Basic outlay for living in Taiwan is roughly a thousand dollars a month. Your husband could stay home and take care of your 5 year old, try for a year and see what developers from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: