Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan on the ground running...doable?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Cribbins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Taiwan on the ground running...doable? Reply with quote

Heres the deal 6 +years experience of teaching in China at middle school and college age level, and 1 year teaching the gulf at uni age level. Fluent in mandarin and keen to learn. Have degree, will travel.

Is it possible to just turn up in Taipei and "wing it?"
do_japan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I sure hope so, because I'm arriving in 6 days, and I only have 5 months teaching experience with a TEFL, can only speak the most basic mandarin greetings. With your experience I think you could make it anywhere.
Taiwanease Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's do-able, but it's unlikely you'll start any employment until after Chinese New Year. In terms of looking for work, now is a fine time, and everything should be back to "normal" after the lunar holidays. Word of warning, however - times ain't what they used to be, and although there are jobs out there, they aren't as plentiful nor as high-paying as they used to be. Taiwan is a great place to live, though, so I wish you luck! Let us know how things turn out for you! Smile
Albert Cribbins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: re: hearing back from recruiters Reply with quote

I am thinking of just getting an easy job in China first and then taking it from there. Hearing zippo from some of the people I have applied to in Taiwan:(
Taiwanease Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: re: hearing back from recruiters Reply with quote

Albert Cribbins wrote:
I am thinking of just getting an easy job in China first and then taking it from there. Hearing zippo from some of the people I have applied to in Taiwan:(

That's really not surprising. Most places here are used to dealing with job inquiries in person. (Um, of course universities, and international schools are different).
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: rock it! Reply with quote

You have experience abroad and will probably come across as a body who knows what he's doing.

I think You'll do fine.

Outside of Taipei and maybe Taichung (though you can find jobs there), my experience has been this is a land of milk and honey. I went job hunting in 2010 and out of maybe ten places I interviewed, all offered me a job, and all but one were 60k or more for 24 or less teaching hours a week.... three were for 65. Try Bade, Dasi, Sansia.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: