Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching WITHOUT a degree.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Tudor,

Sorry - I thought the quote above what I wrote would make it clear - with respect to the fact that not having a degree not being an impediment nowadays to getting a well-paid job there.

That certainly wasn't the case back when I was there - I wonder what caused them to lower the bar.

Regards,
John
Tudor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear Tudor,

Sorry - I thought the quote above what I wrote would make it clear - with respect to the fact that not having a degree not being an impediment nowadays to getting a well-paid job there.

That certainly wasn't the case back when I was there - I wonder what caused them to lower the bar.

Regards,
John

That's what I thought you meant John, but I was clarifying it as lowering the bar flies in the face of what others say is happening elsewhere.

Or, as the actual requirements (which are rarely fully adhered to) are quite possibly the toughest in the EFL world, is it a case of increased palm-greasing?
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
@kpjf - yes, you're right, things aren't always as straightforward as they seem. The teachers without degrees who are doing well have all been here for a few years, so they've got a decent reputation and all the rest of it.
Here in Japan, it is also possible to get a work visa and teach without a degree, but you need 3 years of related experience from elsewhere first.

Also, the wording of the above quote reminded me that in some cases, you can also get a job legally without experience or degree, as long as you have a spousal visa. You would still have to sell yourself to the employer over the other candidates, though. Possible, but without degree or experience, the odds are against you. Tudor, how about Indonesia and that 25-30% you mentioned? Which ones were married to locals vs. actually got a visa to work?
Tudor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tudor, how about Indonesia and that 25-30% you mentioned? Which ones were married to locals vs. actually got a visa to work?

Spousal visas in Indonesia don't allow you to work, although I know of some people who do work on them. The only, rather drastic, way round it is if you take up Indonesian citizenship, but I've only ever worked with one teacher that has done that.

So, if someone on a spousal visa (be they married to a local or a trailing spouse) wants to work in Indonesia then they must find an employer who is willing and able to get them a work visa, which means surrendering the spousal visa. The law is supposed to be changing in the future to allow people on spousal visas to work, but the wheels of bureaucracy turn very slowly here.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enrol in my programme and I guarantee a well-paid job at the end of it. No need for degrees, litearcy or knowledge of grammar. Simply send a cashier's cheque for only US$950.

You too could be teaching in an exotic location and earning big bucks ! Do not delay ! Enroll with scot47 TODAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Irony alert for the dumber readers )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: