Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much would you spend/t in to secure a new contract?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sohniye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: How much would you spend/t in to secure a new contract? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Well I am going through what might be called a painful/costly �life lesson� right now. My contract is concluding at the end of the year and I have been seeking new employment for about two months in a particular country. After a couple of positive interviews that unfortunately still never �took off.� I finally had a school show serious interest in my profile and ask me to come in a visit for a few days. It was basically made clear to me that if I felt comfortable the job was mine.

When I arrived I was told that they were also looking at another candidate after my visit, which though from an employers stance might seem practical but was also dishonest. I had a sense my entire visit that they had already selected their employee. Long story short. I felt comfortable, took the time off work and all costs added together spent about 1000 dollars and they still awarded the contract to someone else.

Has anyone else gone through a similar experience? I am pretty upset, if not also a little stupid.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where was this? In Russia? The Near Abroad? This type of sharp business practice is par for the course here - which is why I would not spend a penny on any prospective employer, especially if based on what amount merely to assumptions on my part. Trust, here, is punished rapidly.

Sorry for your financial loss. Sadly, this is not unusual in these parts.
sohniye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, certainly not Russia. I would never make that kind of financial investment in a Russian prospect.

Actually a country in the EU.
Jbhughes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post has little relevance to your plight, sohniye, so, firstly my condolences and good luck with the next one. I read your thread on the Russian forum and it seems them Ruskies are giving you a hard time - perhaps worth a change in country, or was your trip in fact to a different country?

What I posted to say was nothing more than an interesting aside. In Vietnam it is common for locals to pay to secure a good job. In fact this pay could total as much as a year's salary! Presumably, the idea is to work yourself into a position where you'll be asking someone else to pay to work there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: