Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Stanley Cup
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capergirl

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: The Stanley Cup Reply with quote

I see that the North America forum is dying a slow death these days. Could it be due to the Stanley Cup playoffs? Very Happy

How's your team doing? What are your picks for final two (or Cup champs)? Cool
Norman Bethune

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stanley Cup Reply with quote

Quote:
Capergirl wrote:
I see that the North America forum is dying a slow death these days. Could it be due to the Stanley Cup playoffs? Very Happy

It could be this forum is dying becuase there are no jobs in ESL in Canada or The U.S. for the kind of people who use Dave's. Besides, if you want to whine in North America, you can talk to native speakers in person. Why do it here? Mad

Quote:
How's your team doing? What are your picks for final two (or Cup champs)? Cool

More importantly, how's the baseball season this year? Wink
denise

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly, my scrappy little Padres are tied for first place! Who would've thunk?!?!?

All of my other teams (Giants, As, Mariners) are... uh... struggling. Crying or Very sad And thanks to Ichiro, I can watch the Mariners struggle nearly every day.

d
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Flames. I love it when Detroit gets knocked out early and with their payroll too. Yahoo!

How can you care about baseball this early in the season? Only 140 games left... the pennant race is on.
Capergirl

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman Bethune wrote:
It could be this forum is dying becuase there are no jobs in ESL in Canada or The U.S. for the kind of people who use Dave's. Besides, if you want to whine in North America, you can talk to native speakers in person. Why do it here?

I teach ESL in Canada and I'm told I am one of the posters with the highest entries on the job discussion board. It's not about whining for me, it's about discussing the nuances of the job that others in my area know nothing about. Most people I talk to here don't have a clue about what I do for a living and it requires a great deal of explanation on my part. I've also taught EFL in South Korea and Taiwan, and I couldn't possibly give an accurate description of what that is like to someone who hasn't taught EFL in a foreign country. This site has been something of a "Cheers" for me - I feel understood and accepted here. Wink Why do you come here?

Last edited by Capergirl on Tue May 04, 2004 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to your drunk Greek god, Denise?
Capergirl

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:
Way to go Flames. I love it when Detroit gets knocked out early and with their payroll too. Yahoo!

I'm happy that the Canadian teams are doing so well, but they are killing me in the playoff pool. Twisted Evil I just lost four players (Red Wings)! Crying or Very sad
Norman Bethune

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Capergirl
Quote:
This site has been something of a "Cheers" for me - I feel understood and accepted here. Wink Why do you come here?
[/quote]
I come to dave's to be informed of the esl scene outside of and inside China. Unfortunately, the North American scene is strictly for salaryhunters. They can get access to books and magazines and television in English whenever they want. They don't come here. It's people like me who are outside of NA who do. And when we get here, to the NORTH AMERICAN DISCUSSION AREA, nothing happens. No griping or whining. No rants or raves. No action, no sizzle, no steak. No job advice. Just contented happy people watching television Shocked

I visited this North American group hoping that I might get some info about what is happenning back home in ESL. I guess the pros there don't visit or comment here. Too bad. Too busy paying the mortgage I guess.
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is primarily an EFL site, but it doesn't mean that those overseas aren't interested in keeping abreast about what is happening back home.

True, the NA Forum is practically dead.
Shaman

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman Bethune wrote:
I come to dave's to be informed of the esl scene outside of and inside China. Unfortunately, the North American scene is strictly for salaryhunters. They can get access to books and magazines and television in English whenever they want. They don't come here. It's people like me who are outside of NA who do. And when we get here, to the NORTH AMERICAN DISCUSSION AREA, nothing happens. No griping or whining. No rants or raves. No action, no sizzle, no steak. No job advice. Just contented happy people watching television Shocked

I visited this North American group hoping that I might get some info about what is happenning back home in ESL. I guess the pros there don't visit or comment here. Too bad. Too busy paying the mortgage I guess.

*Falls off seat laughing*

It only feels like I have a mortgage. Salaryhunters? Laughing That one gave me a belly laugh that will last the whole day. You want job advice? Stay there. You're better off. Wink

The only time the TV goes on at my place is for the Capes' subject. Way to go Calgary! Unfortunately, I'm afraid my Leafs are on the way out. I'll still go down wearing the blue and white (like every season).

Lightning vs Sharks, Lightning in 6.

Sprains ankle jumping on the bandwagon,

Shaman
denise

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:
What happened to your drunk Greek god, Denise?

Uh oh. What do you mean?!?!? I see him on my computer...

I have a different take on why the NA forum is comatose--it's not that the folks back there are too busy with their TVs/magazines/instant access to authentic materials. It's that they're a bit downtrodden--overworked, no full-time contracts or benefits, no pay for prep time, no free/subsidized housing, no wacky new culture to attempt to adjust to, etc. The poor dears!

(Honestly, if I thought I could get a job even half as decent as what I've got now, I'd head back to sunny/kooky California in a nano-second.)

d
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaman said
Quote:
You want job advice? Stay there. You're better off.

I concur.
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points Denise. Your little man was gone for awhile, I don't think I was imagining things. Mine has disappeared a couple of times too.
Shaman

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khmerhit wrote:
shaman said
Quote:
You want job advice? Stay there. You're better off.

I concur.

I can too. Sorry - bad pun. Embarassed I couldn't resist.

Shaman
guest of Japan

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I con do many things, but unfortunately I connotcur.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: