Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Depot equivalent in Riyadh?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fledex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a Home Depot in Kabul a few years ago. Might have been blown up by now, as a place across the street was.
EnglishDoYouSpeakIt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot you a really reaching at this point. A home improvement store, lumber, nails, how can you not figure that out? Unless your adult education class in the bungalows next to the local high school hasn't got to the unit on 'using the google' yet, I don't see how one couldn't type "Home Depot" into a search engine and find the answer in half the time it took you to write that waste-of-time reply.

I have a dream of these forums being a great place to find information and advice but it's mostly just pedantic jostling. I'm starting to think I'm the happiest ESL instructor in KSA, if this forum is any indication of the average mental well-being.
jaffa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnglishDoYouSpeakIt wrote:
I have a dream of these forums being a great place to find information and advice but it's mostly just pedantic jostling

Laughing Yep, you pretty much hit the Home Depot nail on the head.

Why use a simple answer when pages of meaningless drivel can be produced? Wink
cmp45

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot you a really reaching at this point. A home improvement store, lumber, nails, how can you not figure that out? Unless your adult education class in the bungalows next to the local high school hasn't got to the unit on 'using the google' yet, I don't see how one couldn't type "Home Depot" into a search engine and find the answer in half the time it took you to write that waste-of-time reply.

I have a dream of these forums being a great place to find information and advice but it's mostly just pedantic jostling. I'm starting to think I'm the happiest ESL instructor in KSA, if this forum is any indication of the average mental well-being.

To be fair...Englishdoyouteachit, you could have just googled hardware stores in Riyadh yourself rather than posting it here Rolling Eyes as for your pendantic remarks...perhaps look at it this way....people posting on your thread have kept it at the top of the page thus more people will have read the 'oh so important information'...btw jaffa...irregardless of how you view others' (or perhaps just my) contributions...'short and witty' can also be just as meaningless Cool Razz

Last edited by cmp45 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My inb
tervention was a valid exercise in getting North Americans - and others - to consider how others see the world !!!

Last edited by scot47 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmp45

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With over 400 hits on this thread, I find it inconceivable that so many people would genuinely be interested in where the best hardware shops are in Riyadh...I think most are probably interested in reading the snarky banter after the fact...I mean..it's SACO big friggin deal~ Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did the Op not just ask the guy in the next office - or one of his students ?
cmp45

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Why did the Op not just ask the guy in the next office - or one of his students ?

My guess is the OP probably thought it would be beneficial to have the info on here...judging by the number of hits on this thread apparently the info is quite a popular topic Surprised oh and for those that can't be bothered to read through all the meaningless drivel up to this point...the name of the hardware store is SACO SACO SACO!!!!
Perhaps the OP would like to share what type of DIY project he/she has going so we have more material to work with... Wink
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear cmp45,

"Perhaps the OP would like to share what type of DIY project he/she has going so we have more material to work with."

A still, perhaps Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Regards,
John
cmp45

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear cmp45,

"Perhaps the OP would like to share what type of DIY project he/she has going so we have more material to work with."

A still, perhaps Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Regards,
John

OOOH Shocked ...and here I was thinking a nice unique set of shelves and storage space for all the crap one accumulates. However it seems ridiculous to indulge in DIY when there are dozens of woodworking shops where you can pretty much get anything you like built to your specifications for a very reasonable price. If the OP is indeed thinking along those lines...if it is a 'still' he/she is building...sorry, I have no expertise in that area. Laughing
EnglishDoYouSpeakIt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to build a cat fortress. There are things available at pet stores but they are like 900 riyals for a simple tower. For that amount and some elbow grease I can build a proper multi level catpound that will give my furry friends something else to run all across besides my ikea collection.

There is a plethora of plans available on the internets for this sort of thing.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do they have a Costco there? I could never live in a country that doesn't have Costco. I think they have them in England even... Very Happy Mostly I just stand outside and eat frozen yougurt but still.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear EnglishDoYouSpeakIt,

Hope you have better luck with your cat than we did with ours. My wife bought this one

http://www.amazon.com/EliteField-Cat-Tree-EFCT-3045-18/dp/B0060EZC4E/ref=sr_1_80?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1355267579&sr=1-80&keywords=cat+houses+and+condos

but after I put it together, the cat spends more time in the box it came in. We even sprinkled catnip over it, but that only worked for a little while Sad

Regards,
John
cmp45

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to build a cat fortress. There are things available at pet stores but they are like 900 riyals for a simple tower. For that amount and some elbow grease I can build a proper multi level catpound that will give my furry friends something else to run all across besides my ikea collection.

There is a plethora of plans available on the internets for this sort of thing.

Great DIY project! If the task becomes too much you may want to consider taking your design to one of the many woodworking shops and have it made for you. I do realize though making it yourself is part of the fun as frustrating as that fun can be, if you are unable to find the appropriate materials and tools. I am sure you will find almost everything at SACO Laughing except maybe the wood. With a little bit of creative thinking, you may be able to make it using alternative materials other than wood???
GOOD LUCK!
EnglishDoYouSpeakIt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmp45 wrote:

With a little bit of creative thinking, you may be able to make it using alternative materials other than wood???
GOOD LUCK!

No wood at Saco? That's the most important part! Home Depot has wood. Any self respecting home improvement store would have wood! I'm back where I started and this thread is once again bumped. Surely *SOMETHING* has to be easy to do over here. Even the guy I pay to wash my car every other day manages to do it only twice a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: