Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offered an Interview With Aramco
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFellow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Offered an Interview With Aramco Reply with quote

So, I've been offered an interview with Aramco which means I will have to fly to the Philippines.

A few questions;

(1) Is it possible to negotiate on expenses, considering the fact I'll have to fly there?

(2) As someone with almost 10 years experience , including five years at the university level + B.A + CELTA + international conference presentations + several publications (no M.A though), what kind of salary do you think I should be looking at?

(3) Any information about the interview would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all.
EnglishDoYouSpeakIt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you flying from?
TheFellow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnglishDoYouSpeakIt wrote:
Where are you flying from?

From Seoul.
ultraman111

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it....Hold out for as much as you can. They are recruiting in the phillipines so the wages will be lower than a US passport holder or UK...etc.. Their trying to cut costs imo.

Im a direct hire .......
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very much if they are recruiting Filipinos to teach English.
gelynch52ph

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: When was this position offered? Reply with quote

Some months ago there was an ESL position offered in KSA that had interviews in Manila. Even though I am an American with over 10 years experience teaching ESL (2 years in KSA), AND I happen to be living in The Philippines I got no response to my application. y flight would have cost them around $120.00 R/T and when they offered room expenses I could have stayed in a decent hotel for $30.00

Recently I've seen no such positions advertised anywhere and wonder where the position WAS advertised and when?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRACO is advertising job interviews in Phillipnes

Teach in Saudi Arabia
Fields of Expertise: ESL/EFL, Math/Physics,
Certification: teaching English certificate such as CELTA, DELETA
Other details: MALE CANDIDATES ONLY
ATTRACTIVE SALARY PACKAGE TAX FREE!!!!
English Teachers � 131 Open Positions (Natives Speakers)
REQUIREMENTS:
One of the following:
� BA (preferably a Master�s degree) in TEFL/TESL
� BA (preferably a Master�s degree) in English, Applied Linguistics or modern languages with a teaching certificate in CELTA/DELTA
� BA (preferably a Master�s degree) in a non-related English field of study but only if it is supported by a teaching English certificate such as CELTA, DELETA, TESL or TEFL and relevant full-time English teaching experience. (NEW)
EXPERIENCE:
� Minimum of 4 years full-time teaching English
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
� Computer literacy is desirable
NOTE: For those candidates currently located in the Philippines neighboring countries such as Thailand, Indonesia, Hongkong, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, etc. we could accommodate your personal interview in Makati Shangri-La Hotel, Makati City, Philippines as we are willing to share your travel/ accommodation expenses maximum of USD:400.00 upon arrival in the venue please provided with official receipts.
gelynch52ph

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: That looks like approximately the same ad I responded to. Reply with quote

Currently I'm waiting for a visa to be processed for a position at Aramco with a contractor so I'm not going to reapply for this listed job.

While I don't have a Masters Degree I do have a BA in English, TEFL certification (130 hours with observed teaching) and around 11 years experience. I'm also pretty local to Makati (Manila) by virtue of a 3 hour bus ride and an hour & a half plane flight so I wonder why I never got called for an interview?
TheFellow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultraman111 wrote:
Go for it....Hold out for as much as you can. They are recruiting in the phillipines so the wages will be lower than a US passport holder or UK...etc.. Their trying to cut costs imo.

Im a direct hire .......

Thanks for that ultraman. What do you think I should be looking at ballpark figure, based on my quals and exp?
Balzac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ARAMCO Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been offered the chance to interview in KSA (as I'm already working here). The agency is Al Hoty.

I too would be interested in what ball park figure others might suggest: 15 years experience, MA, CELTA, publications, working on a PhD. Anyone got any ideas?

Last I heard, ARAMCO are now hiring non natives e.g. Jordanians. Can anyone confirm this?

Balzac
jaffa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They always have employed Jordanians as English teachers. It's a multi-national staff room. Geez, they even employ the Irish, would you believe! Smile When I was there, the Sudanese old duffers were the favourites among students as they would invariably nod off mid-lesson.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi-national teaching staff have been the norm at ARAMCO for years. There used to be loads of Palestinians. Not so many these days, but one management technique is reported to be "Divide and Rule", setting one group off against another.

Last edited by scot47 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ultraman111

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa wrote:
They always have employed Jordanians as English teachers. It's a multi-national staff room. Geez, they even employ the Irish, would you believe! Smile When I was there, the Sudanese old duffers were the favourites among students as they would invariably nod off mid-lesson.

yes egyptians as coordinators, sudanese, lebanese.....irish, english, indian candians, americans, who are the worst employees, and phillipino, Australian and new Zealand as well as South African.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ultraman111,

" . . . americans, who are the worst employees, . . ."

Generalize much?

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of that around !
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: