Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regent - Elblag
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eihpos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Regent - Elblag Reply with quote

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone could share their experiences of Regent in Elblag?

It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A substantial amount of criticism of Regent has been removed from these forums in the past.

Also, I know someone who went for an interview there and was left with a bad impression of the school.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
A substantial amount of criticism of Regent has been removed from these forums in the past.
I remember. None of the criticism seemed way out of line either...

I'd give this place a miss. It's in the middle of nowhere as well.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that they used to (perhaps still do, haven't checked) advertise constantly for teachers is also interesting and certainly not the normal practice in Poland.
newyorker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by newyorker on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
AUTHORKEV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: REGENT-ELBLAG Reply with quote

This outfit is best avoided. I've written on another thread about my
experience there and the contributions of others seems to mirror how I was treated. Regent includes a teacher-training element with links to Gdansk university. However, anyone who expects to experience a
university-like ethos will be disappointed. I once heard a school-owner (not in Poland) explain to a bunch of trainee teachers,in reply to a query on low wages, that she'd set up her school to make money, not to pay wages...
At least she was honest. But teachers who earn the money for such owners, like the operators of Regent, are entitled to a fair return for their labour and also to be treated as professionals.... which, in my experience, is what they will NOT find at Regent.
Caporetto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money isn't the problem at Regent, Elblag. They pay much better than the norm in Poland, and in a cheap area so the money can go a long way.

The package and benefits are good and tempting, which is why people still give it a shot. Furthermore they paid up with absolute precision and punctuality, which is not to be sniffed at.

The problems lie beyond all that practical living stuff. But I don't think you can say that they do you over financially. I left there with a reasonable bit of money saved.
tennisgirl17

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Working at Regent Language School Reply with quote

Working at Regent Language School has been a great opportunity. I have gotten the opportunity to teach and work with many wonderful people. The director of the school, Dortoa Goerick, has been welcoming and hospitable. The head teacher, Anna Gren, has been helpful and encouraging. The teachers at Regent are very nice and knowledgeable. Many of the students are motivated to learn English and are interested in English. The school has many books that are helpful for teaching and they have an interactive white board. They also have computers and either a TV or a projector in every classroom. The school has high expectations for the teachers and also provides opportunities for the teachers to work on their professional development. Overall, this has been a great school to work for!
sparks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post and you're singing from the rafters about ol' Regent eh? Do you get a bonus?
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Are you a real tennirgirl? Reply with quote

I hear that, sparks.

That post reads like a propaganda leaflet written by brainwashed pod person: "Many of the students are motivated to learn English and are interested in English. The school has many books that are helpful for teaching..." It even has four walls which are covered by a roof and a door which is useful for entering the building.

My money's on 'school owner' but let's not race to conclusions.

tennisgirl17, can you tell us more about what, specifically, you liked about teaching at Regent? Seeing as how it's your first post, could you tell us a little about your background and what made you want to teach in Poland? I'm sure potential teachers would find this info useful and I'm interested as well. Smile
Kpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: My Honest Regent Experience Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I worked for Regent last year and just wanted to throw my two cents in Smile

For a little history, I came to Regent after teaching English (primarily 5th and 6th graders) in Seoul, Korea. I am not what you would probably call a "professional" teacher, but do enjoy teaching, especially student interaction. I am American and now back in the States.

While at Regent, I taught virtually all age groups. My students ranged in age from five to about 75, I think. Overall, I really, really enjoyed my teaching experience there. I learned a lot, not only about teaching, but about Poland as well. For anyone considering teaching here, I'll try to briefly outline my experience.

Obviously, one of the biggest things people always wonder about when looking for a teaching job is how are the students, are they motivated to learn, etc. In my experience, the students, especially the adult students, were very motivated to learn. The biggest positive for me thoughwas how nice the students were. I was able to build strong relationships with many of my students (even in middle school). I felt, for the most part, the students were very respectful and fun. Sure, there were some bad eggs, but, hey, that's just teaching, I suppose.

Second, the staff, in my experience, was really lovely. All the teachers treated me very kindly and made me feel very welcome. The office staff was also helpful. My Polish was and is AWFUL and there were several times when the office staff helped me out a lot with phone calls, doctor, etc. As for the head person, Dorota, she was also very kind to me. I can honestly say I left the school with a good feeling about all the staff there.

Finally, living in Poland is a blast. Elblag might seem like a small city but, in fact, it has a lot to offer. My family actually came over for about a month and lived in Elblag and loved it as well. I was very weary about living in a "non-major" city coming from Seoul but had no problems. It's easy to catch a train or bus to Gdansk. It's also very easy to travel abroad. During my time teaching I went to about 14 new countries!

At times, teaching ESL, as we all know, can be difficult and exhausting. Teaching at Regent is no exception. You must often be extremely flexible, hard working and passionate. But, for the right teacher, I think Regent is a great place. There are terrific opportunities to grow tremendously as a teacher at Regent. Even I, a n"non-teacher" teacher, learned many skills that I am still using today. It is true that Regent expects a lot from their teachers, but what you give you do receive back in skills, strong relationships, personal growth and more!

As I said earlier, I am now back in the United States studying medicine. Regent hasn't paid me or anything to post this, I just saw some negative comments about the school and wanted to share my positive experience.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that this school suddenly has so many new Dave's posters;-)

This is NOT the usual hiring season for schools in the region, so if they are working to counter criticism in order to increase their hiring options in the near future, that would seem a bit worrying to me if I were a job seeker.
Kpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, Spiral! It does seem a bit noncoincidental, doesn't it? Honestly, though, I really just popped on here completely of my own volition.

I guess I was feeling a bit nostalgic about my time in Poland and hopped on Dave's ESL Café to relive my younger, more adventurous days, ha! Should of probably written this review a year ago, but better late than never, eh?
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! What a coincidence indeed. You got to teach students ranging in age from 5-75 eh? That must have been a blast, and easy to transition from one to the other. I'm glad that everyone was so supportive and that you amazingly have NOTHING bad to say about the place--how non-coincidental Smile You should write travel brochures. Double-triple smiley face
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, we are a cynical bunch here on Dave's.

At least Kpack wrote back, unlike some of the other one-shot-wonder posters on this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: