Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

japan schools for beginners...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chica88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: japan schools for beginners... Reply with quote

I know this is kind of general...

I want to teach in Japan so badly.
Is there a school I should talk to who takes beginners?
I have a TESOL and a BA.

I never seem to get much of a response from Japan schools.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much your lack of teaching experience, but that you apparently aren't in Japan and available for interview, that is counting against you. That is, there are more than enough inexperienced (and let's not forget, experienced!) people already there in the country, available in person and chasing the jobs, for you to stand much chance.

All I can advise is that you try to gain some experience in your home country, and save up the funds necessary to come and visit Japan as a tourist in the few months prior to peak hiring periods (principally, Mar-April, the start of the new academic year). You'll have or will get a good idea of who the main employers are and when they hire from reading this forum's sticky threads, and by scouring various online jobs ads. From the qualifications you've stated, you'd be able to work in private language schools (eikaiwa), or as a JET or dispatch AET (Assistant English Teacher) in Japanese public schools.

Of course, you don't tell immigration that you are entering Japan as a tourist in order to seek work, even though it is nowadays perfectly possible to apply for permission to work and thus a work visa from within Japan.

That being said, I myself have always preferred to have the necessary paperwork in hand before flying in. That may however as I've said not be an option for you (unless you are prepared to take years applying from overseas for umpteen jobs). Just bear in mind that there have been horror stories on this forum about unscrupulous employers stringing workers along with false assurances (that the visa application is in the works, when in fact it isn't and never was!) before stiffing them of pay and leaving them with little recourse. (Although it may be fine to work if one has actually applied for a visa and has official permission to work in the interim, it's obviously illegal to work without permission and any application filed). Legit companies will tend to have their act together and be able to get these things done relatively speedily (not months and months), especially if you are applying from within Japan (as there should be less time lost in communicating, exchanging info, posting documents back and forth etc).

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "school"? Eikaiwa or public/private mainstream school, or international school?

Eikaiwas are very flooded with teachers, and many want people here when they apply. Plus, January is not quite a time to be asking. If you were asking in Dec, that's even worse.

Mainstream schools.
Private ones usually don't advertise widely.
Public ones usually don't hire directly. So you have to go through JET program or a (shudder!) dispatch agency.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself and your recent job hunting techniques? Maybe you aren't qualified. Maybe you are doing something wrong when applying.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice, fluffyhamster! There's something you said that got my attention:
fluffyhamster wrote:
Although it may be fine to work if one has actually applied for a visa and has official permission to work in the interim

I've never heard of this before. Can you tell us more about it?
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pitarou. It's just something I recall reading about a few times on this very forum - either that people had done it, or that it could be done. I don't have personal experience of it though, because as I say I've always ensured that I'd got my visa in hand before flying into the country to start working.
thomthom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're fresh out of university, have no teaching experience, and you've never really been to Asia before, I'd recommend doing a year in South Korea first. It's not as culturally interesting as Japan but if you're new to the whole thing you'll get most of the same buzz, especially if you're in (or within an hour of) Seoul. You'll get paid well for an ESL teacher, with flights, and then you'll be able to hop over to Japan with your savings after you finish the contract. You may not have experience but time and money (intimately linked) are more pressing issues when finding work in Japan. You'll need $5000 plus an airplane ticket. It's easy to save $10k in Korea, and the airplane ticket from there to Japan will only be $150 or so.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomthom wrote:
If you're fresh out of university, have no teaching experience, and you've never really been to Asia before, I'd recommend doing a year in South Korea first.

You explained why South Korea is a good stepping stone to Japan, but you didn't explain what Korea has that Japan doesn't. Is there more demand for teachers there?
thomthom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
You explained why South Korea is a good stepping stone to Japan, but you didn't explain what Korea has that Japan doesn't. Is there more demand for teachers there?

There is greater demand for teachers in Korea, and the market is less saturated - despite the fact you'll often see and meet more teachers there than in Japan. That's because they're crazy about English academies, of which there are a huge number. Finding work in and around the best districts of Seoul is the only place where it can be difficult. In typical mid-sized cities and rural areas it's ludicrously easy to find employment. In fact of all major ESL locations, I'd wager teachers in Korea are on average less qualified (and probably younger) than in other countries. (Incidentally Korean employers are also crazy about employing North Americans.. but that's what Korea is like - uniquely and singularly Americanised, even compared to Japan.) Almost every school will sponsor a visa, pay for flights, cover accommodation, and offer a one-month severance bonus. Anyway yes.. This is basic sticky stuff isn't it? I'm wary about bringing up Korea too much on this forum.
chica88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: thinking about work outside Japan... Reply with quote

I agree with what everyone has said about Korea.

I was leaning more towards Japan because from what I understand Korea has age limitations.
But - I will still try.
I got my BA a little late in life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: