Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptops in Korea: Questions Answered
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poemer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I can handle that. Thanks for the info.
Z-Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this on the internet - http://www.dbicorporation.com/internat/intpower.htm. Scroll to the bottom for diagrams of various plugs.

So are those in the know saying that, as long as Korean voltage and frequency fall with the ranges listed on the adapter box, all you need is a lead with a plug 16 or 18 on one end and a plug 50 on the other? Is there any functional difference between plugs 16 and 18?
dogshed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z-Boy wrote:
Just found this on the internet - http://www.dbicorporation.com/internat/intpower.htm. Scroll to the bottom for diagrams of various plugs.

So are those in the know saying that, as long as Korean voltage and frequency fall with the ranges listed on the adapter box, all you need is a lead with a plug 16 or 18 on one end and a plug 50 on the other? Is there any functional difference between plugs 16 and 18?

A close look at the illustration on the website shows the 18 has a ground prong and a larger casing. -Jeff
Z-Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a couple of adapters from Dixons in Manchester Airport and they work fine. However, my alarm clock - which I took with me - can't tell the time now: it runs 20% faster.
Mea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so hopefully someone won't mind answering this for me! Smile

The AC adapter for the laptop says:

input: 100-240V ~ 1.5A, 50-60Hz
output: 19V --- 4.74A

and the cable does disconnect from the black box. Does this mean that all I need to do is buy a new cable when I get to Korea, to go from the box to the socket? OR, could I just attach a plug adapter to my current cable, in order to plug it into the Korean socket?

ALSO: I'm taking my external hard drive with me too. It says:

input: 100-240 VAC, 50/60Hz 1.8A
output: 12V --- 2A, 5V --- 2A

and the cable from the box to the socket also comes out. Can I buy a cable in Korea for this too? It's a different style than the laptop's.

Thanks!
Samantha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok my "brick" says 100-240 which is fine. What I'm wondering is since it's the 100-240 can I just put a Korean plug adapter on the American plug?

These are what I have:

The first 3 are a 1600 watt converter for an American AC plug (in) and Korean round plug (out). Three different views

(sorry it's fuzzy not the greatest photogher here Smile )

It says: "Voltage converter. It converts 220/240 to 110/120. Replaceable fuse 12.5 amp. 50-1600 watts."

Or can I just use one of these?

Thanks Smile
dogshed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogshed wrote:
Z-Boy wrote:

A close look at the illustration on the website shows the 18 has a ground prong and a larger casing. -Jeff

Now that I'm in Korea I can tell you that the receptacles look like 18 but without a third prong. The little T shaped thing at the top and bottom of the 18 illustration seem to be grounding contacts. I suppose you could say I have 18 without a third prong on my large appliances. The plug is round with two prongs in the middle and two ground contacts. I use an adapter like 16 with my laptop. The grounding prong on my laptop cord (plug 4) just slides beside the adapter and does not touch anything.

-Jeff
dogshed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha wrote:
Ok my "brick" says 100-240 which is fine. What I'm wondering is since it's the 100-240 can I just put a Korean plug adapter on the American plug?

These are what I have:

The first 3 are a 1600 watt converter for an American AC plug (in) and Korean round plug (out). Three different views

It says: "Voltage converter. It converts 220/240 to 110/120. Replaceable fuse 12.5 amp. 50-1600 watts."

Thanks Smile

Just use the plug adapter. I think I have the exact same travel kit. Someone on Daves said the really cheap converters can damage electronics. Use the plug adapter alone and let the power brick handle the voltage.
Samantha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogshed wrote:
Samantha wrote:

These are what I have:

{deleted the photos for space}

{again deleted for space}

Thanks Smile

Just use the plug adapter. I think I have the exact same travel kit. Someone on Daves said the really cheap converters can damage electronics. Use the plug adapter alone and let the power brick handle the voltage.

Thanks alot that's what I wanted to know. I was a little leery of just using the plug without asking those who are more tech savvy than I am. Thanks for answering Very Happy
GrandPark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually like to know where I can order a MacBook online and have it sent here. Apple.com, Amazon, and other Apple subsidiaries seem only to have options for shipping in North America. Can it really be so difficult to order an English-only Mac and have it sent here? I've been looking around, but I can't find anyplace to order from. Any suggestions?

Last edited by GrandPark on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
RobinH

Location: Mid-bulk transport, standard radeon accelerator core, class code 03-K64--Firefly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way that I know of is to order it online and send it to an address elsewhere and then have someone send it to you here. Be advised that you will pay at least 20% duty when it arrives. I strongly advise having a Korean call the post office and double check this. You may be better off buying one here or waiting until you can go overseas yourself. BTW, the Korean apple store online is http://www.apple.co.kr/
dogshed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked up the Yongsan electronics market in the book Seoul's Best 100. There is a diagram of the buildings in relation to the subway station. It seems I only went through a couple of the buildings near the pedestrian tunnels.

I got the book at the tourist information booth north of the City Hall subway station but I would guess you can get it other places.

I'm sure you can find any electronic part you need for any brand of laptop. I saw plenty of laptop power supplies. -Jeff
GrandPark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A web site I had gone to before, which would not ship Macs internationally at the time, has recently started doing international shipments. http://www.powermax.com, based in Oregon, will ship internationally, and so will http://www.mac-pro.com.
RobinH

Location: Mid-bulk transport, standard radeon accelerator core, class code 03-K64--Firefly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrandPark,

Good to know! Thanks for posting.

But, there's still that little problem of duty . . . Evil or Very Mad
stevehend

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: UK plug adaptor Reply with quote

Hi. I am down on Masan. Brought my laptop with me from UK (pretty sure the voltages match with Korea). My prblem is, where can I find a three pin to two conversion down here? I bought what I thought was one at Manchester Airport (said suitable for Asia) but when I looked today it's not. My transformer (brick) has a smaller three point socket also. Tried today in Home plus to find something to convert to with no joy. Can anyone advise?

Thanks guys

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: