Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

should I go to Japan or S.Korea
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raymie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: should I go to Japan or S.Korea Reply with quote

Hi! I'm trying to decide whether I should go to Japan or S.Korea for a year of teaching English (I've got all the requiremnts: BA, Tefl cert..)
Just wondering if any of you have been to both places and how you would rate them in terms of money, quality of life, enjoyment, holidays. I've noticed that the majority of jobs posted on the Korean job forum seem to offer only 10 days vacation on top of the national holidays! This seems crazy! Is it possible to find a teaching position that will offer better holidays?
Thanks
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask yourself which country interests you more. Japan does actually offer a lot that Korea doesn't offer(and vice versa).

Japan is a bit more open to the western world than Korea.

But this could all be the beer talking! Hwah!
matko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard Hagwon job in Korea offers 2 weeks vacation. The standard eikaiwa job in Japan offers 4 weeks.
Both countries have jobs that offer a hell of a lot more.
Having lived in both countries, I would say that, at least for me, Japan is far superior in terms of lifestyle, working conditions and over all peace of mind.
As for potential savings, Korea would be a better place for someone just starting out. However, after living in japan for a year or 2, a teacher can save as much money, if not more than in Korea.
I know I do.
Good luck
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it was said on here, you should make your choice based on which country interest you more.

Monetary conditions are different and like Matko said Japan is probably more western friendly than Korea.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you got a job waiting for you, go to japan.
raymie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! thanks for the quick replies! I am actually interested in the teaching aspect more than the 'cultural enrichment bla de bla' aspect. I am trying to decide whether to go for an interview with ECC for a teaching job in Japan next week (lot of hassle as it's not in my country) or just go for the flights-paid, accommodation-paid gig in S.Korea. I'd like to say the money isn't important, it shouldn't be, but it sort of is. I don't plan doing the tefl for longer than a year. For this (quick money) reason, I'd be more into Korea. But on the other hand I think I'd have a better teaching experience in Japan.... I'd also get 7 weeks' holidays in Japan which would be quite nice (this is, of course, assuming I actually got the job!)
Can someone please just TELL me what to do? Very Happy
Raymie
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Korea, a lot depends on the job. Not that I'm trying to be noisy, but can ya swing more info our way about the Korea job?
matko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecc is considered one of the better chain schools in Japan. For a first job here, I would say go for it.
Also, are you sure you are only in this gig for one year? I thought the same thing. Nearly 8 years and 4 countries later, I don't know if I have still gotten over the addiction of being a super star! Laughing
Joking aside, make your decision carefully. Too many people go to Korea on a whim (probably because of the free airfare, free apartment and nothing to lose mentallity).
I was warned by many people who had lived in both countries "GO TO JAPAN" "KOREA SUCKS"!!!!
I didn't listen. I went to Korea. To be honest, I'M glad I did. Why? Because I realized later how much better other countries were.
If you are SURE it is only for one year, than you have to choose between "the money" and "sanity". You obviously have narrowed it down to the two. Nobody can decide for you which is more important.
Why not flip a coin Laughing
raymie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after what you've said, I think I'll at least go for the ECC interview; if I don't get through, then that will be my decision made for me. If I do, then I'll toss a coin!
I actually don't already have a job lined up for S.Korea but I suppose I would get one of the lower-grade ones that pay 1.8million won with 10 days vacation etc. The competition for the better paid ones is rather fierce so I probably wouldn't get anything better without the experience.
At the moment, I'm going for one year...as I have a career plan for myself (involving teaching)! We'll see how it unfurls, I suppose.
Thanks again!
raymie
x
em

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of you who have been around for awhile and been to Japan - does the paid flight and accomodation really make that big a difference? I mean, the money offered in Japan is about one thousand dollars (CDN)/mo. more than in Korea, so it kind of all evens out, doesn't it? I'm trying to make the same decision as Raymie and I thought that I had this whole money thing sorted out.

Also, has anyone done that teaching by remote computer thing in Japan? Looks kind of boring but stable.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

em wrote:
All of you who have been around for awhile and been to Japan - does the paid flight and accomodation really make that big a difference? I mean, the money offered in Japan is about one thousand dollars (CDN)/mo. more than in Korea, so it kind of all evens out, doesn't it? I'm trying to make the same decision as Raymie and I thought that I had this whole money thing sorted out..

Other costs like how in Japan a can of coke is 190 Yen verses 500 Won (so, $1.30US compared to 40 cents). So triple for a can of Coke. Meals, $10 a shot. Taxis? Quintiple the price of Korea. Etc, etc. Hell, cheap, fast Internet connections did not exist until a few months ago.

All this while at the same time the salary is the same as Korea. So unless you can line up extra work at a higher rate than what you would make for the same extra work in Korea, working in Japan means you take a very sizeable pay cut thanks to the cost of living.

That said, it's a magical land full of milk and honey that I will move to one day as well.
william beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

given the exchange rate, the average starting salary in Japan is about 2.5 million won. Last I checked
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

william beckerson wrote:
given the exchange rate, the average starting salary in Japan is about 2.5 million won. Last I checked

Japan you have to pay for you own apartment which can cost you 30,000 to 60,000 Yen a month (300,000 to 600,000 Won). More if you live in downtown Tokyo.

Deduct that, and the basic salary is about the same.
John Balance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Read My Posts On Korea First Reply with quote

I wrote two posts comparing Korea and Japan. I think that Korea is so problematic that the few thousand dollars that you will probably save over Japan isn't worth it.

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?display:1023830668-23234.txt

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?display:1037829356-14201.txt

The extra money that you might make in Korea is assuming that you won't be cheated by your employer (many are), deported for teaching private students, or have something else awful happen to you (in terms of health or safety). Japan doesn't have a widespread problem with the first point and doesn't have a problem at all with the other two points.

I would go to Japan.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

off topic. but do japanese teachers hook up with a lot of japanese women? So many guys have Korean wives, but I never hear about Japanese wives. i'm Not trolling, but the korean side of me is curious why this may be so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: