Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any tips on how to maintain a stable internet connection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eamo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Any tips on how to maintain a stable internet connection? Reply with quote

I run my computer all the time. 24/7. However, I seem to lose my connection about every 8-12 hours. I then have to restart the PC and the modem to get it back.

I like to keep it on so I can get all my Kazaa downloads finished.

I have a nice, new PC, running XP, with a cable modem.

Is it something to do with using a proxy port when you are on a LAN?
BTM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the FAQs at http://www.broadbandreports.com/ and try some of their tweak tools.

If it were more frequent than that, I'd suggest it was DHCP periodically trying to grab a new leased IP (sometimes the problem when there's periodic dropouts), but that'd be a guess without sitting down in front of the machine.
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

A student told me that KT megapass shuts down after it runs for a few hours and has to be started up again. maybe this is it.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same problem- my ISP is a tiny one that leases extra bandwidth from Sympatico (a huge DSL provider- part of Bell Canada), o/s is XP-pro.
If I let it sit for a long time, and then connect, the connection will be good but I'll get 404 errors for every site I try to visit...
Does that sound like a typical DHCP problem? [honest question, not sarcasm]

I'll have to check out that link when I get home, thanks BTM.
Gollum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Hannanro Reply with quote

Hannaro seems to not work if I leave my computer off for a time, then turn it back on. After 2 to 5 minutes, it works again. Resetting the cable modem doesn't help.

Last year I had Thrunet, and it did not do this. Very annoying! It just started doing this last week. Hopefully, it's only a temporary problem.
BTM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A student told me that KT megapass shuts down after it runs for a few hours and has to be started up again. maybe this is it.

No, I don't think that's the case, usually. I've had Megapass DSL for more than two years now, and nothing like that has happened. The new house I moved into has some weirdness, related to the setup at the nearest exchange, I think (100% loss at hop #3) - but I resolved that by using a proxy for some sites, including this one.

Bulsajo, usually if DCHP (which is the means by which your machine, if it's set up to do so, acquires a new IP address once in a while, which are 'leased' from a block 'owned' by this ISP) is causing dropouts on your connection, it happens a few times and hour, for 30 seconds or so. Doesn't sound like your problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: