Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sejong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Computer Repair Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a RELIABLE, English-speaking repair shop in Seoul (or better yet, Incheon, but I won't hold my breath)? I need to have someone check out/fix my CD drive without destroying half the computer in the process (happened with my digital camera at Yongsan, so I'm being very cautious this time). Thanks!
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the CD-drive in a laptop, or a desktop? If it's in a desktop, it's the easiest thing in the world. Forget about fixing it - just (have them) pop in a new one. Easier than changing a car battery, and cheap, too - 20~40,000w would be the price range.

If it's in a laptop, that's not so good. Laptops are MUCH harder to service. If the brand is Korean, or the company has an A/S office here, you should take it to them.
Sejong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, it's a laptop, too... and it's a Toshiba. But I'll look for a Toshiba A/S shop, I guess.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sejong wrote:
Damn, it's a laptop, too... and it's a Toshiba. But I'll look for a Toshiba A/S shop, I guess.

If it hasn't moved it's in a building across the street from the Electroland building in Yongsan. Look for the second floor walkway over the street that connects to a building with lamp/lighting stores- Toshiba A/S is on the main floor in the back corner. They honour Toshiba's international warranty (originally I was told in Canada that it wouldn't be valid for Korea)- all you need is the international warranty sticker that you put on your laptop when you bought the warranty- it's good for 3 years.

BTW, what exactly is wrong with the CD player?

Can you determine if it's a software or a hardware problem? What are the symptoms?

If it's removable (swaps out of a bay) it might be cheaper to just buy a replacement than to get it fixed. I had a problem with the CD on my toshiba- the door wouldn't latch closed so it couldn't play anything. Grabbed a tiny screw-driver and took the thing apart- in the end it wasn't too difficult to fix.
Sejong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a hardware problem... it started out not being able to play any burned music/photo CDs, but factory CDs, games, software, etc. were fine... now very little works, and the burner function has died. Hopefully I can sort out the warranty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: