Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-2 Blacklist?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lolacatessan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: E-2 Blacklist? Reply with quote

Hello!
We're planning on returning to Korea after a bad first experience. It was so bad, in fact, that we split without notice, before our contract or visa had expired. Though we hated the job, we loved the country, so we're wanting to come back. We're in the talking-to-recruiter phase right now, and the last recruiter had some alarming news:
(According to this recruiter) There's a permanent, official, nationwide blacklist. An angry employer can put you on this PERMANENTLY and bar you from EVER getting an E-2 visa and EVER working in Korea again.

Has anyone heard of this? We asked around before we left Korea, and it was never mentioned. None of the other recruiters have mentioned it. Is there any truth to this, or - have we cause to be suspicious?

Thanks.
Cerebroden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me guess, your new recruiter can still get you a job even though your on the list, it'll just be working split shifts and at 2.0 million a month?
leebumlik69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: E-2 Blacklist? Reply with quote

lolacatessan wrote:
Hello!
We're planning on returning to Korea after a bad first experience. It was so bad, in fact, that we split without notice, before our contract or visa had expired. Though we hated the job, we loved the country, so we're wanting to come back. We're in the talking-to-recruiter phase right now, and the last recruiter had some alarming news:
(According to this recruiter) There's a permanent, official, nationwide blacklist. An angry employer can put you on this PERMANENTLY and bar you from EVER getting an E-2 visa and EVER working in Korea again.

Has anyone heard of this? We asked around before we left Korea, and it was never mentioned. None of the other recruiters have mentioned it. Is there any truth to this, or - have we cause to be suspicious?

Thanks.

There is a national blacklist and a provincial one too. I know someone who is allowed to stay in Korea but can be arrested if he returns to Busan. You are probably on both, but that doesn't mean you can't be taken off either. It's a gray area. Just don't let your former employer know of your return. That would be stupid.
lolacatessan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. No, they haven't said anything like that. They actually suggested we call the consulate here in Texas and check with them, which gives the whole thing a disturbing air of truth. I rather hope it's not so...
Thanks, though!
lolacatessan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know someone who is allowed to stay in Korea but can be arrested if he returns to Busan.

Whoa! That sounds more like "arrest warrant" than "visa blacklist". Did this guy do something more than just break a contract?
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a blacklist that was started not too long ago, I remember seeing a post on here about it. I just can't find it right now. If my memory serves me right at that time there were only about 10 people on the list.

Edit:It looks like there is 60 names on it now.

Last edited by Milwaukiedave on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the article from The Korean Times 8/26/06:

English Teachers� Blacklist Revealed

By Park Chung-a Staff Reporter

While the demand for native English teachers in South Korea is on the upswing, a blacklist of native English teachers has appeared on the Internet Web site of a recruiting agency that introduces native English teachers to private English institutes.

On the Internet website of Korea Foreign Teacher Recruiting Association (www.kftra.co.kr), which started in February, appears a blacklist of 19 native English teachers who are accused of unacceptable teaching manners as well as crimes. The list was put up by owners and managers of English institutes and schools who suffered due to the blacklisted teachers. The list includes names, passport numbers and birth dates.

Most of them are charged with leaving for their home countries without notice, hence breaking their contracts. Other accusations include forging university degrees, stealing personal computers and sexual harassment.

Choi Hyuk, the founder of the recruiting agency said that the list is aimed at minimizing damage to South Korean English institutes due to irresponsible or illegal actions by native English teachers.

However, the list does not always include the contact information of the person who reported the problem teachers.

Choi said he had to reveal the private information of the teachers, as it was the last means to punish them.

``After doing bad things, they just left. And there are no legal means to punish them. So we decided to list their names so that they can never come back to Korea and work as English teachers, '' said Choi. ``In order to enhance credibility of the list, we will delete those without a source or contact information of the person who reported the teacher. We have asked the Immigration Bureau to limit employment opportunities for problematic native English teachers but to no avail. The government should revise laws about employing native English teachers, including strengthening the screening process for issuing E2 Visas which are being unscrupulously issued to unqualified English teachers for English education purposes.''

However, experts warned that revealing private information could cause legal problems.

``Regardless of their faults, the listed teachers are entitled to sue those who revealed their private information for libel,'' said Kim Young-hong, an expert in human rights on information.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200608/kt2006081617531711990.htm

Here's one of the black list by the KFTRA:

http://www.kftra.co.kr/
Saxiif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when was your original contract going to expire? If its already expired I wouldn't expect you to run into any problems. In many cases when people pull runner/get fired/quit the boss doesn't even bother to get their visa cancelled or report it in any way to the government.

What I would recommend doing is:

1. Wait until your original contract would've expired, otherwise your chances of running into legal headaches increases exponentially.
2. Don't tell ANYONE about being in Korea previously and don't tell anyone you were connected to previously that you're returning. The chances of anyone actually giving a shit about your previous visa status is very low.
3. Get a new job and ask for them to give you a blue paper so you can get a new visa at the local consulate.
4. If the consulate gives you a visa you're golden. If the consulate doesn't give you a visa, oh well, you didn't loose anything.
5. Once you're working in Korea on a legal visa nobody will bother you.

My hagwon has a lot of summer classes and has hired dozens of people to work just for the summer on tourist visas for years and years and nothing has ever happened to any of them. Immigration is really too lazy to give anyone much trouble and hagwon owners are usually too lazy to deal with the government. People worry about immigration issues far more than is warranted.
butlerian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxiif wrote:
Well when was your original contract going to expire? If its already expired I wouldn't expect you to run into any problems. In many cases when people pull runner/get fired/quit the boss doesn't even bother to get their visa cancelled or report it in any way to the government.

1. Wait until your original contract would've expired, otherwise your chances of running into legal headaches increases exponentially.
2. Don't tell ANYONE about being in Korea previously and don't tell anyone you were connected to previously that you're returning. The chances of anyone actually giving a *beep* about your previous visa status is very low.
3. Get a new job and ask for them to give you a blue paper so you can get a new visa at the local consulate.
4. If the consulate gives you a visa you're golden. If the consulate doesn't give you a visa, oh well, you didn't loose anything.

My hagwon has a lot of summer classes and has hired dozens of people to work just for the summer on tourist visas for years and years and nothing has ever happened to any of them. Immigration is really too lazy to give anyone much trouble and hagwon owners are usually too lazy to deal with the government. People worry about immigration issues far more than is warranted.

Blue papers are obsolete. These days all you need is a "visa issuance number".
Saxiif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

butlerian wrote:
Saxiif wrote:

2. Don't tell ANYONE about being in Korea previously and don't tell anyone you were connected to previously that you're returning. The chances of anyone actually giving a *beep* about your previous visa status is very low.

Blue papers are obsolete. These days all you need is a "visa issuance number".

Hmmm, as you can probably tell I haven't done a visa run in a while. But if they send you a visa issuance number you should be fine, if they don't there's probably nothing you can do about it so give it a shot.

As far as the http://www.kftra.co.kr/ blacklist goes, its so short that I doubt that all but a tiny minority of hagwons bother to use it.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxiif wrote:
As far as the http://www.kftra.co.kr/ blacklist goes, its so short that I doubt that all but a tiny minority of hagwons bother to use it.

Yeah, it's a list for hagwon owners to use when deciding to hire you. It has ZERO to do with Immigration. I'm sure they couldn't give a monkey's ass if you're on the KFTRA blacklist or not.

Looking at many of those entries, the KFTRA is a bunch of morons anyway. "Teacher refused to work on Chuseok... he is bad unqualified teacher!" Rolling Eyes
esetters21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young FRANKenstein wrote:
Saxiif wrote:

Yeah, it's a list for hagwon owners to use when deciding to hire you. It has ZERO to do with Immigration. I'm sure they couldn't give a monkey's ass if you're on the KFTRA blacklist or not.

Looking at many of those entries, the KFTRA is a bunch of morons anyway. "Teacher refused to work on Chuseok... he is bad unqualified teacher!" Rolling Eyes

Hmm..interesting. It appears that 2 of the former teachers at my current school are that list. They did pull the old midnight run Rolling Eyes
lolacatessan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... credible or not, we're on that list! Heh. If you feed what they say through an online translator, it comes out quite hilarious - including "our school was the sugar!"
Anyway, I guess I'll call the consulate this afternoon to see what they have to say regarding an official list. We're still getting job offers (albeit not very good ones), so ... whatever.
wylies99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
our school was the sugar!"

WTF? Laughing

Gail was a very bad girl. Wink
Snowmeow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolacatessan wrote:
Well... credible or not, we're on that list! Heh. If you feed what they say through an online translator, it comes out quite hilarious - including "our school was the sugar!"
Anyway, I guess I'll call the consulate this afternoon to see what they have to say regarding an official list. We're still getting job offers (albeit not very good ones), so ... whatever.

Lol yeah I saw that, Babelfish can be really funny sometimes. At least you "continued the act which falls in love with school policy" which sounds pretty good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: