Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bit torrent downloads
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaebea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to codecs, I like to use codec packs, as they tend to cover all the bases.

Uninstall any codecs you might have, and get the Kazaa Lite Codec pack.

When you install, do a custom install and don't install the BSPlayer (it's a media player). My preferred media player is Media Player Classic (worth googling) as it has the clean interface of the older Windows Media Player, but has been updated to handle a lot of new formats and added a few more powerful features.

http://www.kazaalite.tk

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/media_player_classic.cfm

Used to be a site called bytemonsoon but they got shutdown after a few weeks. They still have a forum with some torrents though, so see if you find anything you like.

http://www.bytemonsoon.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

As for notebook storage expansion, if you have a Firewire (IEEE1394) port on your laptop, then getting an external hard drive is a good idea. Ditto with USB2. You can probably get PCMCIA cards to add Firewire or USB2 if you don't have these already. Standard USB1 will be too slow for anything worthwhile. USB2 or Firewire only.

jae.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaebea wrote:
When it comes to codecs, I like to use codec packs, as they tend to cover all the bases.

Uninstall any codecs you might have, and get the Kazaa Lite Codec pack.

When you install, do a custom install and don't install the BSPlayer (it's a media player)

This is good advice up until you say not to use the BSplayer. I like this player and have found it to be very versatile.

Rudyflyer wrote:
now I really need a bigger hd but I have a notebook pc, any suggestions besides burning to cd which I'm already doing?

Watch and delete. do you really need to have 100's of tv shows on your harddrive. How often do you plan on watching them? One time is good for me.
jaebea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK, I've tried a lot of different media players and I don't think BSPlayer really stands out to be honest.

However, I can happily accept the fact that choice of media player can be as personal a choice as the never ending boxers vs briefs argument. Smile

The only two media players that I've liked (maybe two and a half if you want to be picky) are Sasami2k (a brilliant little Korean job that does wonders but has total stability issues) and Windows Media Player 6.4 (and it's elder and more refined sibling, Media Player Classic).

BSPlayer's key fault is it's inability to be removed should you want to change players down the track. Perhaps it's an issue with the Kazaa Lite Codec pack, but upon removal of the codec pack (to remove BSPlayer), windows still maintained associations and shell extensions to BSPlayer, which therefore required me to manually allocate them to my preferred media player.

I subsequently saved myself the trouble by installing MPC which removed all the shell extensions and associations, pointing them to the right client.

Silly me. Smile

jae.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: