Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Get a Korean Credit Card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvalmer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any cards without an annual fee?
moosehead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a yes card from keb - i opened an account w/them when i first arrived several years ago; i heard about the expat card and called them up but they told me it was 120,000 a year so i said what else do you have and they sent this one

it's only got a 500,000 won limit but that's good enough for convenience sake, like buying concert tkts, last minute purchases, etc.

they set it up so i pay directly out of my account like 2 days after my salary hits

i left the country last summer (supposed to have been for good) and canceled the card; came back here in march new job, they totally reinstated it no problem

i don't think it has an annual fee; if i want to buy something over a certain price i can opt for installment payments

not all keb branches have someone who can speak english but most do; and they use the term "charge" card as opposed to "credit" card - so try that or they won't know what you are talking about

the first one i had took a few weeks to come but this one came w/i a few days was awesome -

fyi, i teach at an elem school now and before, don't know about their rules for no hagwons but if you take a copy of your contract it might help

moosehead
sancheong fc

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just recieved my card....called on wedenesday, got the card on friday. Applied over the phone. Had to fax copy of arc card, home addrs, school addrs and phone # and bank book. 2 million krw limit. was lowest they had. No deposit required. It's a Samsung Korean Air skypass card.
1500 won = 1 mile. plus discounts at other places!!! Excellent deal! They have to deliver the card and get your signature when they deliver it so make sure when they ask where to deliver the card, it's somewhere you'll be during the day!
pkang0202

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Samsung and applied over the phone like a week and a half ago. I faxed them my documents and they said they'd call my school to setup an interview so that we could finalize the paperwork. I haven't heard anything about it since.
contrarian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a really good way to get a credit card. I had two, one I had had for 6 years (1 year and then 5 years). It expired about 2 weeks before I returned to Korea. I went to one branch of the bank and all they would give me was a crappy card if I lleft a guaranteed deposit. I declined and thought of moving my account.

I mentioned this to a korean friend (a university professor) and he said. Well, one of his students was the manager of X branch of the same bank. I'll phone him he said. I attended and today I received another two year card he same as the old one. His only question was: How did you get a 5 year card as a foreigner?

Rolling Eyes
mishlert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contrarian wrote:
How did you get a 5 year card as a foreigner?

Rolling Eyes

Samsung Cards are valid for 5 years, no need of a deposit, they'll raise your credit, and foreigners are welcome.
Hell, I have just been made a member of the Samsung Card VIP Lounge. When I called to ask how this happened I was that all costumers in good standing become one. When asked about the benefits, I was told that I can get emergency credit of up to KW20,000,000 Shocked Very Happy

02-200-8438. They speak English and you can apply over the phone.
contrarian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks;

With my other Bank card. I had a six year perfect record. Payed down to zero every month. Maybe that's what they didn't like?

Shocked
ella

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mishlert, how did you get the Asiana Samsung card? I can't find anything out about it on Asiana's web site.
mishlert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ella wrote:
mishlert, how did you get the Asiana Samsung card? I can't find anything out about it on Asiana's web site.

I saw it at the Samsung Card web site while looking at my bill.
After that I called and asked about the Asiana Anypass card and was told I could have one within a week. So, not only can I use it on buses and the subway in Seoul and Kyongido, I get 1 mile per KW 1000 that I charge.
swoosh76

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone else had a problem applying for a card if their company was not listed on the KOSDAQ. My company is an international Fortune 500 company, but I was denied both the KEB Expat and Samsung card because my company is only listed on the NASDAQ. My income was not a problem in either case.
spliff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied for a Samsung card but don't know which to get. I want to use it as a bus pass and internationally for cash withdrawals and also, the occasional restaurant or grocery store in Korea. There are the Any pass, Amex, and regular visa, master card or American express....which offers the most in terms of versatility?
mishlert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spliff wrote:
I applied for a Samsung card but don't know which to get. I want to use it as a bus pass and internationally for cash withdrawals and also, the occasional restaurant or grocery store in Korea. There are the Any pass, Amex, and regular visa, master card or American express....which offers the most in terms of versatility?

The Any Pass offers all those things, plus subway and buses in Seoul and Kyoigi-do.
When you apply, make sure that you tell them that you want the international card.
Optimus Prime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mishlert wrote:

02-200-8438. They speak English and you can apply over the phone.

Just a Korean message for 20 seconds then they hang up.
contrarian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing with me, message and hang up.
spliff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 2000...you got the wrong #..... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: