Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dating in Korea
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robhollywood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Dating in Korea Reply with quote

I'm planning on moving to Busan to teach English next spring-ish. Wondering what experiences people were having with dating while in Korea? Do Korean women like Americans?

Do the expats mostly "date" one another?
SuperFly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean girls will practically fall over themselves just to talk to you. They're all dying to go to America and escape the hell hole they live in, so you're in luck because 99% of koreans LOVE America. Koreans will invite you to their homes, and try to marry their daughters off to you because they want their daughters to intermarry with outsiders (It's just one of those things ya know?) Make sure you bring a big stick with you to fight off all the girls that will be attacking you for dates.

You're going to be a little out of luck with the western girls in Korea. They have a slew of good looking western guys to choose from because the western guys outnumber the girls. You may be able to make a few friends though.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
kentucker4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperFly wrote:
Korean girls will practically fall over themselves just to talk to you. They're all dying to go to America and escape the hell hole they live in, so you're in luck because 99% of koreans LOVE America. Koreans will invite you to their homes, and try to marry their daughters off to you because they want their daughters to intermarry with outsiders (It's just one of those things ya know?) Make sure you bring a big stick with you to fight off all the girls that will be attacking you for dates.

You're going to be a little out of luck with the western girls in Korea. They have a slew of good looking western guys to choose from because the western guys outnumber the girls. You may be able to make a few friends though.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Are you being sarcastic? I really do hope most Korean girls are cool.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he's being sarcastic.

But there is a hint of truth.

The fun thing is, the Korean idea of "handsome" is different than that of the typical Western woman. Korean women particularly like guys with the following features:

1. Tall (above 180cm)
2. Small face (sounds weird, but it's true
3. Most/many actually LIKE hairy arms/bodies, because it's wild/sexy/different
4. A high "nose bridge."
5. Dress nicely

There are more, but you can even be considered "nerd-like" back home, and if you have some or all of the above qualities, you can end up with a very pretty woman on your arm (for at least a while).

One of the most hilarious things to watch is a total geek in Itaewon walking with some Sh#%-hot Korean woman, and see the looks on the c0cky 19 to 20 year-old GI faces. They come here thinking they're all that. Soon they find that, due to their bad manners, they can't get a Korean girl, while the people they called a "geek" back home are out with someone gorgeous.

It's priceless.

I'm not ripping on GI's in general. Any Korean friend who asks me about GI, I start asking certain questions. One of the things I tell them is that if he is an officer, then he might be a good catch. Not an officer? Use him for English practice, and don't put your heart into it, or spend any time alone with him in a non-public place.
squat toilet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:

There are more, but you can even be considered "nerd-like" back home, and if you have some or all of the above qualities, you can end up with a very pretty woman on your arm (for at least a while).

One of the most hilarious things to watch is a total geek in Itaewon walking with some Sh#%-hot Korean woman, and see the looks on the c0cky 19 to 20 year-old GI faces. They come here thinking they're all that. Soon they find that, due to their bad manners, they can't get a Korean girl, while the people they called a "geek" back home are out with someone gorgeous.

It's priceless.

Had some trouble holding on to your milk money back in the day huh basswhatever?
crusher_of_heads

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squat toilet wrote:
bassexpander wrote:

It's priceless.

Had some trouble holding on to your milk money back in the day huh basswhatever?

Just call him Nancy.
kentucker4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
Yes, he's being sarcastic.

But there is a hint of truth.

The fun thing is, the Korean idea of "handsome" is different than that of the typical Western woman. Korean women particularly like guys with the following features:

1. Tall (above 180cm)
2. Small face (sounds weird, but it's true
3. Most/many actually LIKE hairy arms/bodies, because it's wild/sexy/different
4. A high "nose bridge."
5. Dress nicely

It's priceless.

I'm not ripping on GI's in general. Any Korean friend who asks me about GI, I start asking certain questions. One of the things I tell them is that if he is an officer, then he might be a good catch. Not an officer? Use him for English practice, and don't put your heart into it, or spend any time alone with him in a non-public place.

So it's mainly based on looks?? I shouldn't do that bad then.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. No problems with milk money.

Squat, it might interest you to know that there is a certain crowd of ladies interested in the Hip-Hop scene. You'll find them in Itaewon at places like King's Club. They aren't the type I'd like to take home to mama, personally, but your thoughts may differ.

I wasn't trying to upset anyone. Just ask any Korean girl what is considered attractive.

In any case, it's not just about looks. The better Korean ladies really appreciate gentlemen.

Dating a Korean girl is not unlike finding a hagwon.
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:

Second.

In both cases, you're just looking to get screwed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of Korean women interested in foreigners. And yes, some who wouldn't be got dead with a non-Korean. But, if you're lonely in Korea, you've got serious problems.
Scotticus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kentucker4 wrote:

So it's mainly based on looks?? I shouldn't do that bad then.

From what I've heard, they're not too fond of the Southern accent. Not sure how thick yours is, though.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoulsucker wrote:
bassexpander wrote:

Second.

In both cases, you're just looking to get screwed.

Laughing
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other reasons Korea women don't go for G.I.s too often:

1) Eductation: The younger G.I.s are usually under or less educated than their civilian counterparts in Korea. Even a hakwon teacher has a degree.

2) Money: G.I.s don't have the financial clout that they did in Korea in the 70s and 80s. By the 90s, a lowly hakwon teacher could buy and sell an enlisted man.

3) Status: G.I.s don't have any in this culture. Officers get a better shake of it, but, then again, the 22 year old butter bars aren't the ones looking for love off the base.

Just a few off the top of my head.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a butter bar?
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A second lieutenant. They're called 'butter bars' because the rank insignia is a single, gold bar which looks very much like a stick of butter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: