Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yongsan vs. Technomart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Yongsan vs. Technomart Reply with quote

Hey, for all you electronic savvy people, where would one be able to find a better deal on a laptop, Yongsan or Technomart?

Thanks for your help.

Let me just save the time of all the pricks out there and add on their behalf: "One could just get off their arse and go to each place and compare prices themselves."

Just figured I would check here first for some friendly advice.

Thanks again
syclick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Yongsan. While Technomart is more of a general electronics mart, Yongsan focuses heavily on computers, and they have a ton of laptop vendors there.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet all the shops in Technomart either A. are outlets of the same stores you find in Yongsan, only they start higher and won't haggle as low, or B. buy all their stuff from wholesalers in Yongsan.

No proof to back this up, just an opinion.

If Technomart is more convenient for you to get to then go there for small stuff but if you want to get the most for your money there is no comparison to Yongsan.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support what Bulsajo's saying here - in fact, a retailer at Technomart told me as much.
chiaa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my two cents. It is kind of crazy how the whole electronic scene is set up here in Korea. When you go to Yongson or Techno mart, you are actually buying from one vendor at each one. Whether the two places are actually two different vendors I don't know. When you go to say techno mart, you have those hundreds upon hundreds of little stalls. Each one of them seem to buy from the same central place. Thus, you usually get about the same price from each one. The only difference I feel are these: They price their products by how they like your face, how well they run their little stall, if they are in a good mood or not that day. To me, it is just another way to monopolize an industry and control the prices. So when you are buying something for either Yongsan or Techno Mart, you are actually buying from that building's vendor. Thus, one store.

Have you ever seen how expensive MP3 players are in Korea? From my research, the highest available Mp3 capacity is 256mb unless you get some kind of add ons. In America, they are selling 2,4,6 gigabyte MP3 players. Why are you unable to find them here? The industry is monopolized. The same reason why books are so expensive at that rather large store in Seoul. They can get away with it. No, there is no tax on books here in Korea. That is not the reason why they are so expensive. Myself, I like Techno Mart better because the guys seem to be a little bit classier. I have been to Yongsan with my wife, who is Korean, buying things and the guys there have tried to talk her into taking a higher price because I am a foreigner and they should keep the money in Korea and not let me take the money out of the country (yes they actually told her that, trying to have her take their side).
http://www.whatthebook.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: