Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new CDBURNER: wont burn! what is going on here!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: new CDBURNER: wont burn! what is going on here!!! Reply with quote

ok took the advice of the boyz here and got a new burner cuz the old one blew..

anyway I went with a samsung DVD/combo drive nice enough at a decent price..
anyway I get it home, install it, watch a dvd, watch a burned movie, listen to some cds.. all is good.. now I want to burn a cd.
so I open up ROXIO and try to burn a cd.. the acual write speed drops down to X1 and says 1000 to complete CD.. it burns through the first song then freezes. leaving me no choice but to shut down the computer, because the OS is frozen.
tried this over and over again same thing..

tried to uninstall and reinstall.. same thing..
I tried to install a new burning software NERO the one the burner came with. but it wont install cuz it detected an older version and it wont remove it and I have no clue where it is. probably some DLL file hiding in god knows where..
anyway. I thought the Burner was stuffed so I rang the DUDE and said YO MAN THIS BURNER IS WHACKED.. he was like can you watch movies.
im like YEAH, so he's like sorry BUD it works..
hit the roxio sites found it its kinda commen this problem.. BUT IT NEVER HAPPEND WITH MY OLD BURNER. so why is it happening now!!
I need MUSIC people!! help a brother out..
cheers..
IG
eamo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step up Gord. I haven't a clue.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is probably just defective. I used to work for a major electronics distributer in Canada and it was known that 15-20% of consumer electronics ship defective.
dutchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung sucks! I had a similar problem with my combo drive. A coworker gave me his (which was two years old and he had replaced due to numerous problems). Of course it also didn't work. The good news is while their products suck, their service is great. I brought the computer with both cd roms installed to the service center. Without batting an eye they removed the two drives and replaced them with two new ones. No paper work at all.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy on the phone is probably right, if it's playing DVDs properly... it's something wrong in the software. I'd download a bunch of Cd burning programs from Kazaa, to get around your old-Nero-version-installed problem... eventually you'll get to one that supports the drive.

Use a CD-RW for testing purposes until you get it sorted out though...
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: new CDBURNER: wont burn! what is going on here!!! Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
hit the roxio sites found it its kinda commen this problem..

Have you checked for a new driver to download for the burner? And what o/s and version of Roxio are you using? There are known issues with XP and Roxio 5 and lower. That's almost certainly going to be a problem if you're using that combination of o/s and s/w. You've checked the device manager and it looks okay there? You've got a decent amount of RAM and free HD space in your pc? And have you checked the CDs you've been using? They're correctly rated for the speeds you want to burn at? Just some ideas of the top of my head... If I were you and I did all this to no avail, I'd go back to the store (with print-outs of the issues you came across on the internet) and demand a replacement.
Gord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP has built in CD burning support. Just use XP to burn a CD and see what happens. If it works, it's whatever software you are trying to use. If it doesn't work, it's a drive failure as the reading/writing and CD/DVD parts are separate components in the unit, so one can component section can work even if the other half has been smashed to pieces by small elves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: