Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check now -UPDATED
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yesterday

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check now -UPDATED Reply with quote

USA citizens
Cost - USD$18 + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

Canada - ( http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/crimrec/finger2_e.htm )
Cost - CAN$25 + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

Britain ( http://www.crb.gov.uk/ )
At present, the UK authorities do not provide police clearance certificates. Applicants can however apply for a subject access reply under the Subject Access Provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. This is accepted by most foreign authorities in the absence of any other facility.
Cost - 10pounds + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

Australia - ( http://www.police.qld.gov.au/services/purchase/polcert.htm )
Cost - AUD$41.40 Police Certificate based on an Australia-wide check
of name only: $41.40 + postage
or
Cost - $146.70 Police Certificate based on an Australia-wide check
of name and fingerprints: $146.70 + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

New Zealand - - ( http://www.justice.govt.nz/privacy/ )

I guess - if the new law requiring all foreigners applying for an E-2 visa goes into effect in December 2007 - and you are planning on getting another visa in early 2008 - you had better apply NOW.........
(or apply at least 5 months before your current contract finishes) - otherwise once your contract finished you may not be able to teach any more - whilst you waiting 5~6 months for the police check to arrive)

-----------------------------UPDATED--------------------------------------

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2883449
It says here - that

(1) Teachers can still apply to get your police checks (here in Korea) and have them sent here from your homecountry -
(2) The medical + drug test CAN be done here in Korea
(3) Teachers can still go to JAPAN to get their visa....

(To BE ANNOUNCED BY THE GOVERNMENT ON DECEMBER 07th - and WILL TAKE EFFECT FROM DECEMBER 15th)

December 03, 2007
the Justice Ministry has announced that starting in less than two weeks foreigners who teach English will be required to provide their criminal record and undergo a medical checkup to renew or receive a visa.

.... Many embassies here have already announced they cannot or will not conduct such a service....

THEREFORE - APPLY FOR YOUR POLICE CHECK NOW (FROM KOREA) It ONLY takes 6weeks ~ 12 weeks and you can have it ready - so you WILL NOT NEED TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMECOUNTRY !!

.....In addition, people who are found to have committed a felony, have drugs in their system, a dangerous infectious disease, such as HIV, or a drug or alcohol addiction will have their visa canceled, the Justice Ministry said in a release .

GOOD !!

The new rules here will also require new applicants for an English teaching visa, called an E-2 visa, to undergo an interview at the Korean consulate closest to the town in which they live, the Justice Ministry announced.

THIS IS ONLY FOR NEWBIE TEACHERS WHO ARE STILL IN THEIR HOMECOUNTRY..

people who hold an E-2 visa will still be able to apply for the renewal at Korean consulates in a nearby third country, such as Japan or China.

THIS IS FOR THE TEACHERS ALREADY IN KOREA WHO WISH TO RENEW - THERE IS NO NEED TO RETURN HOME TO RENEW YOUR VISA - YOU CAN DO IT HERE AND TAKE A JAPAN-VISA-RUN....

JUST APPLY FOR YOUR POLICE CHECK NOW (FROM KOREA) It ONLY takes 6weeks ~ 12 weeks and you can have it ready - so you WILL NOT NEED TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMECOUNTRY !!

Kim Soo-nam, deputy director at the Justice Ministry's Korean Immigration Service, said the ministry would accept a criminal history report issued by foreign embassies here for the applicant.
However, Kim added that so far, none of the embassies here have agreed to provide the service.

"The U.S. Embassy said it will not provide the service, as has the Canadian Embassy," Kim said.

"The principle is that the applicant should go back to his or her country and get a report from the police there," Kim said.

JUST APPLY FOR YOUR POLICE CHECK NOW (FROM KOREA) It ONLY takes 6weeks ~ 12 weeks and you can have it ready - so you WILL NOT NEED TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMECOUNTRY !!

According to the new rules, however, any teacher hired by the Education Ministry who is already employed can skip the criminal record check, according to the release.

With regard to the medical check, an applicant will be required to submit a self-completed form indicating his or her medical history.

Once arriving here, according to the release, the applicants need to go through a mandatory health check, including blood and drug tests, at a clinic or hospital designated by each school or education office.

THE MEDICAL CHECK WILL/CAN BE DONE HERE IN KOREA (NOT YOUR HOMECOUNTRY)...

BASICALLY -

(1) Teachers can still apply to get your police checks (here in Korea) and have them sent here from your homecountry -
(2) The medical + drug test CAN be done here in Korea
(3) Teachers can still go to JAPAN to get their visa....

SO STOP GET OFF YOUR BUTT - Go to your local police station and pay 20,000won to get your fingerprints - the download the application for for a "Police check" from your countries "Police website" and send it all away with the fee NOW... Your police check should arrive back in February....

I know of a Canadian, and American and an Australia who have already received their POLICE CHECKS - just by sending away for it from HERE - KOREA.... and it ONLY took all three persons 3~4 weeks to get it back....

The American applied for the POLICE CHECK from the California police (his home-state)....

The Canadian sent copies of his documents to his mother in Canada who went into the RCMP and got it for him and sent it to him....

The Australia applied to the Queensland police (his home-state) and only needed to complete one form downloaded from the Qld police web-site and mail it together with a copy of his passport...

I also know another Australia who applied to the Australian FEDERAL police - they have told her it will be back within 6 ~ 8 weeks... (that was 3 weeks ago) - so her police check will be back by the end-of-January - giving her plenty of time to renew her visa in late-February....

Please stop all this... "Oh - I have to return to my homecountry!" "Oh - its impossible for me to get a police check or medical check here - I have to return to my homecountry!"

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMECOUNTRY...

Just get the ball rolling now - and you will have everything ready for when your visa expires.....[/b]

Last edited by Yesterday on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
peppermint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth asking whether they'll accept background checks from regional police forces (as they're all networked anyway these days). I know in my part of Canada, a background check from the provincial police takes a week, rather than 6 months
Cohiba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Police Checks Reply with quote

Police checks are only for newbs who actually work for Koreans in
this country. If you are serious about working here you should be
teaching freelance where you are properly compensated for your
time, can teach your own curriculum, can make your own hours
and can avoid things like "police checks". But I guess some suckers
don't mind jumping through hoops for peanuts. Why don't you try
the circus back home?
Whistleblower

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Police Checks Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:
If you are serious about working here you should be
teaching freelance ...

I don't quite agree with you. If you are serious about teaching you would find a decent full time ESL job and get some ESL accreditations under your belt. Once you have enough experience, you could turn to becoming an IELTS Examiner or any other examiner for that matter. By the time you are looking at freelance, you will be examining on the side and then consulting. You could be earning more than what you imagine just because you worked hard at one school and put in the effort to develop professionally.

See you in the teachers room, oh by the way that's my room there I'm director of studies. Wink
Yesterday

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Police Checks Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:
the circus back home?

Cohiba - please tell us how us single foreigners (who are not newbs - been here many years) - can LEGALLY work freelance....

as I said - unless you have an F2, F4 or F5 visa - and plan to teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check now
crusher_of_heads

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Police Checks Reply with quote

Yesterday wrote:
Cohiba wrote:
the circus back home?

Cohiba - please tell us how us single foreigners (who are not newbs - been here many years) - can LEGALLY work freelance....

as I said - unless you have an F2, F4 or F5 visa - and plan to teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check now

Thank you!
ajgeddes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in Canada you don't have to use RCMP checks. I used OPP checks from Ontario and never had a problem. (Luckily for me I can get those OPP checks the same day.)
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope for the love of Christ that they implement some kind of system that will actually be able to keep track of all this stuff. I don't want to have to do this every 6 months.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check Reply with quote

Yesterday wrote:

Canada - 5~6 months ( http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/crimrec/finger2_e.htm )
Cost - CAN$25 + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

In Calgary, Canada, I went to CPS (Calgary Police Service) years ago and got it done on the same day (can't remember the cost).
Boodleheimer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't do FBI, i just had a Virginia check. it took less than a month, i think, and my school has no problems with it.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajgeddes wrote:
Quote:
I know in Canada you don't have to use RCMP checks. I used OPP checks from Ontario and never had a problem. (Luckily for me I can get those OPP checks the same day

Did you do this in person? Just show up at an OPP station and ask for it? I'm in Korea now and I'm applying for jobs, but I can do it that fast in person then I'll get it when I visit home between jobs.

And finally, Go Habs Go! Very Happy
ajgeddes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my dad was OPP for 31 years, so he just went in and got it done in about 15 minutes.
mrsquirrel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Britain - 5~6 months ( http://www.crb.gov.uk/ )
At present, the UK authorities do not provide police clearance certificates. Applicants can however apply for a subject access reply under the Subject Access Provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. This is accepted by most foreign authorities in the absence of any other facility.
Cost - 10pounds + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

Wrong.

Been there done that and at the most it is 40 days. Two weeks for me.

CRB is not available to the public so it's misinformation putting that website up.

Subject Access did not require fingerprints from my constabulary but it differs from area to area.

If you are going to try and help people the correct information is always best.
SPINOZA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to leave Korea in August 2008 when my contract is up. Does this include me or just newbies in 2008?
giovanni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Police Checks Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:
If you are serious about working here you should be
teaching freelance

Truth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: