Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check now -UPDATED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will we be able to walk into any Korean police station to get inked? Will Korean police stations have the proper cards to facilitate this? Or is it just an impossible standard that will eventually go away once the Koreans who actually have to do the legwork on this realize what a pain in the patootie it will be?
chris_J2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Police checks are only for newbs who actually work for Koreans in
this country.

Not strictly correct. I finished a 12 month contract in May 2007, & reapplied in September 2007, for a new contract. I was told by my public school employer that it was mandatory to supply a police check & medical report. I got a free police check done here in Korea. I just needed to show my ARC & Passport. It took about 15-20 minutes & I got lucky & had a Korean passerby who spoke English, help me out with the application form.

All of these threads on police & medical checks, should be amalgamated into a single sticky thread, by the moderators, for future reference.

Last edited by chris_J2 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Yesterday

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_J2 wrote:
Quote:
this country.

Not strictly corrext. I finished a 12 month contract in May 2007, & reapplied in September 2007, for a new contract. I was told by my public school employer that it was mandatory to supply a police check & medical report. I got a free police check done here in Korea. I just needed to show my ARC & Passport. It took about15-20 minutes & I got lucky & had a Korean passerby who spoke English, help me out with the application form.

All of these threads on police & medical checks, should be amalgamated into a single sticky thread, by the moderators, for future reference.

The previous "Department of Education" Police checks - allowed foreigners to get a "Korean police check" done and hand into the school/a nd or department...

Those days are gone - now the foreign teacher must have the police check from their homecountry...

KWhitehead wrote:
i didn't do FBI, i just had a Virginia check. it took less than a month, i think, and my school has no problems with it.

mrsquirrel wrote:
Quote:
Britain - 5~6 months ( http://www.crb.gov.uk/ )
At present, the UK authorities do not provide police clearance certificates. Applicants can however apply for a subject access reply under the Subject Access Provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. This is accepted by most foreign authorities in the absence of any other facility.
Cost - 10pounds + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

Wrong.

Been there done that and at the most it is 40 days.
Two weeks for me.

CRB is not available to the public so it's misinformation putting that website up.

Subject Access did not require fingerprints from my constabulary but it differs from area to area.

If you are going to try and help people the correct information is always best.

wonderful - this is exactly what I wanted to hear..

as a part-time recruiter - working for a company who employs foreign teachers - my boss and I googleD - Police checks for each country..

we thought we would have to wait 5~6 months for USA, Canada and UK teachers police checks to arrive...

thanks for giving us the BEST information..

BASED ON WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE JUST TOLD US...

from now on everyone ONLY has 6 WEEKS.....

If it hasn't arrived within 6 weeks - then sorry WE CAN'T EMPLOY YOU...
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: good advice.

Cohiba that was a good job of pissing on people from up in your banana tree.... Rolling Eyes

I too am on a F-visa and I work for a University. However, I completely agree with the police check requirement because at the very least it might discourage some of the less savoury individuals who manage to come here....

E-2 teachers (along with many F-visa teachers) will have to get those criminal checks so instead of crapping over people and insulting them, why not just shut up or help?

Good job to those who provided information here. It will help many teachers.
chaz47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this check any different from the one that I already had to do for my current public school gig? I got on my state's website and paid some fee, minimal at best I believe. Within a couple days they posted the results on a website where anyone with the proper access code could log on and see them.

We NEED someone who truly knows to tell us what is going on. All this headless chicken stuff is infuriating. Has anyone actually been told anything from their school yet? I think the EPIK program places a bit of its recruitment expectations on teachers re-signing, logically it would seem that they would have to tell the teachers they now have in place something about this.
chachee99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first I've heard about this. Do you need a police check if you plan on resigning with your current employer and renewing your current E2 visa?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mehamrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday wrote:
chris_J2 wrote:
Quote:
this country.

Not strictly corrext. I finished a 12 month contract in May 2007, & reapplied in September 2007, for a new contract. I was told by my public school employer that it was mandatory to supply a police check & medical report. I got a free police check done here in Korea. I just needed to show my ARC & Passport. It took about15-20 minutes & I got lucky & had a Korean passerby who spoke English, help me out with the application form.

The previous "Department of Education" Police checks - allowed foreigners to get a "Korean police check" done and hand into the school/a nd or department...

Those days are gone - now the foreign teacher must have the police check from their homecountry...

KWhitehead wrote:
i didn't do FBI, i just had a Virginia check. it took less than a month, i think, and my school has no problems with it.

mrsquirrel wrote:
Quote:
Britain - 5~6 months ( http://www.crb.gov.uk/ )
At present, the UK authorities do not provide police clearance certificates. Applicants can however apply for a subject access reply under the Subject Access Provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. This is accepted by most foreign authorities in the absence of any other facility.
Cost - 10pounds + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

Wrong.

Been there done that and at the most it is 40 days.
Two weeks for me.

CRB is not available to the public so it's misinformation putting that website up.

Subject Access did not require fingerprints from my constabulary but it differs from area to area.

If you are going to try and help people the correct information is always best.

wonderful - this is exactly what I wanted to hear..

as a part-time recruiter - working for a company who employs foreign teachers - my boss and I googleD - Police checks for each country..

we thought we would have to wait 5~6 months for USA, Canada and UK teachers police checks to arrive...

thanks for giving us the BEST information..

BASED ON WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE JUST TOLD US...

from now on everyone ONLY has 6 WEEKS.....

If it hasn't arrived within 6 weeks - then sorry WE CAN'T EMPLOY YOU...

Yesterday you might want to check yourself. Some states take longer than six weeks and if your giving it to the feds could take even longer. As the FBI website will promptly direct you to your local state agency. Different countries will also have different waits. I wouldnt be so quick to kick your applicant pool out that quick..

I think there are just way to many unanswered questions for all of this to be effective. As everyone else stated what If you have been here for several years. I think everyone needs to take a big breath and think about what the hell they are doing instead of passing laws that they don't know how to implement

edited wrong amount of weeks. lol..
Optimus Prime

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mehamrick wrote:

Yesterday you might want to check yourself. Some states take longer than six weeks and if your giving it to the feds could take even longer. As the FBI website will promptly direct you to your local state agency. Different countries will also have different waits. .

Some of you just don't seem to be comprehending. Only NATIONAL criminal record checks are going to be accepted. It won't be your SCHOOL asking for it anymore. IMMIGRATION will require this. Not GEPIK or SMOE or whatever. Immigration. To get a Visa. Your local cop shop writing a letter isn't going to cut it anymore.
mehamrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus Prime wrote:
mehamrick wrote:

Yesterday you might want to check yourself. Some states take longer than six weeks and if your giving it to the feds could take even longer. As the FBI website will promptly direct you to your local state agency. Different countries will also have different waits. .

Some of you just don't seem to be comprehending. Only NATIONAL criminal record checks are going to be accepted. It won't be your SCHOOL asking for it anymore. IMMIGRATION will require this. Not GEPIK or SMOE or whatever. Immigration. To get a Visa. Your local cop shop writing a letter isn't going to cut it anymore.

Some of you just dont understand you can get a "NATIONAL" criminal record check by going to your local state bureau. It's called NCIC and all 50 states have access to it. The FBI also has a 16-18 week delay as well.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm
blaseblasphemener

Location: There's a voice, keeps on calling me, down the road, that's where I'll always be

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus Prime wrote:
mehamrick wrote:

local cop shop checks in Canada ARE national. They check for criminal code violations in ALL of CANADA.
The Cube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by The Cube on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
mehamrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cube wrote:
I have a question. I'm going to travel and apply for an E-2 visa and get it before the end of November. However, I'm not actually going to enter Korea with this visa and start teaching until the middle of December.

So my obvious question is, does the background check apply to me?

yes
mehamrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cube wrote:
I have a question. I'm going to travel and apply for an E-2 visa and get it before the end of November. However, I'm not actually going to enter Korea with this visa and start teaching until the middle of December.

So my obvious question is, does the background check apply to me?

yes
Optimus Prime

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mehamrick wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:
mehamrick wrote:

Some of you just dont understand you can get a "NATIONAL" criminal record check by going to your local state bureau. It's called NCIC and all 50 states have access to it. The FBI also has a 16-18 week delay as well.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

That's a system set up to see if people can buy a gun or not. Only gun shops can conduct an NCIC check.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsindex.htm

Quote:
In November 1993, the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 (Brady Act), Public Law 103-159, was signed into law requiring Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) to request background checks on individuals attempting to purchase a firearm. The permanent provisions of the Brady Act, which went into effect on November 30, 1998, required the Attorney General to establish the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) that any FFL may contact by telephone or by other electronic means for information, to be supplied immediately, on whether receipt of a firearm by a prospective transferee would violate section 922 (g) or (n) of title 18, United States Code, or state law.

The NICS is a national system that checks available records in the National Crime Information Center (NCIC), Interstate Identification Index (III), and the NICS Index to determine if prospective purchasers are disqualified from receiving firearms.

The FBI developed the NICS through a cooperative effort with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) and local and state law enforcement agencies. The NICS is designed to respond within 30 seconds to background inquiries to provide FFLs with an immediate answer as to whether the transfer of a firearm would violate state or federal law.
The Cube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by The Cube on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: