Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check now -UPDATED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mehamrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cube wrote:
mehamrick wrote:
The Cube wrote:
I have a question. I'm going to travel and apply for an E-2 visa and get it before the end of November. However, I'm not actually going to enter Korea with this visa and start teaching until the middle of December.

So my obvious question is, does the background check apply to me?

yes

Do you know? Or do you think you know?
If you know, then exactly how do you know?

I am currently in a public school and had a check done before coming here. I also had to resubmit the same check last week, but finding it online. It would be best to go ahead and do it because they are going to want it eventually.

Quote:
That's a system set up to see if people can buy a gun or not. Only gun shops can conduct an NCIC check.

Umm Law Enforcement agencies can do NCIC checks. As in my state the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) can do state and federal checks.
The Cube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by The Cube on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
mehamrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cube wrote:
mehamrick wrote:
The Cube wrote:
mehamrick wrote:
The Cube wrote:
I have a question. I'm going to travel and apply for an E-2 visa and get it before the end of November. However, I'm not actually going to enter Korea with this visa and start teaching until the middle of December.

So my obvious question is, does the background check apply to me?

yes

Do you know? Or do you think you know?
If you know, then exactly how do you know?

I am currently in a public school and had a check done before coming here. I also had to resubmit the same check last week, but finding it online. It would be best to go ahead and do it because they are going to want it eventually.

Quote:
That's a system set up to see if people can buy a gun or not. Only gun shops can conduct an NCIC check.

Umm Law Enforcement agencies can do NCIC checks. As in my state the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) can do state and federal checks.

Okay then, tell me how to get the ball rolling. (I'm Canadian)

Where do I go tomorrow? I need fingerprints, don't I?

if your in canada go to your local police station and tell them what you need. they should hopefully be able to point you in the right direction or call the RCMP. I am not Canadian so I can't tell you exactly where to go but just point you in the right direction.

there are several threads about this around here. Might look around a bit.
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=102878

try that one. [/quote]
kingplaya4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for those of us who have a marriage in the works but were planning to do it after getting a new contract, should we speed up the process, or are we going to need to do this for F Visas as well?
Saxiif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side people, how many newbies are going to look at these regulations and say "*beep* this shit I'm going to Taiwan/China/Japan/whatever." I know I would've gone to Taiwan instead of being bothered to deal with what the new regulations seem to require. The more people don't want to deal with Korean immigration BS the more supply and demand smiles on us Laughing
Rae

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recruiter said a national check is not necessary if you've lived in your state for more than 5 years. (She wrote 5 - 10 so I'm not exactly sure the minimum requirement but nonetheless, I'm going local).

In my city the cost is $12 and done in person. I believe you get it the same day.
yingwenlaoshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to renew my passport which expires early December. I'll be picking the new passport up end of Nov/early Dec. My current contract is until the beginning of March. My current visa ends when my passport expires, but I'll have to extend it to my contract finish date when I get the new passport.

Will immi ask me to get a criminal record check and maybe refuse to extend my visa? That would be fkd up.

It's not like anyone has informed anyone already here that we have to immediately get a criminal record check done. Wouldn't immi need to send us/our employers a letter?

What's the deal with people already here?
happeningthang

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's all this coming from anyway? Has there actually been some laws passed making a criminal check part of getting a visa, or is this just wild conjecture??

I'm pretty sure I have to go back to my retarded, redneck home state, which says I have to front up in person. I will not be happy!
Rae

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I got the official update on a Police Clearance Letter (Proof of no criminal record letter) in my city. It cost $18 and takes about 2 weeks mailed or can be picked up in about 3 days.

The only thing is, it's local. I'm afraid my recruiter may be wrong and I'd need the national check. All local police departments can do national NCIC checks, but they are not authorized to give out the clearance for them.

Anyone hear differently?
jadarite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you are serious about working here you should be
teaching freelance"

Maybe you should consider it, but it's not the only way.

"where you are properly compensated for your
time"

Please provide a coherent basis for being "properly compensated". How much money should be given? By the looks of it, Korea pays the highest wages, unless you want to go to the Middle East. Without knowing Korean, teaching freelance comes at an additional cost of having to communicate to Koreans (or any other language/country).

I know it's possible to get around this. I taught privately in Japan, but I ended up only teaching higher up level students since they were the only ones who could read English. I ended up networking with them to teach their friends who were at lower levels.

If you go with an agency (if that is what you mean by freelance), be prepared to get screwed.

[can teach your own curriculum, can make your own hours
and can avoid things like "police checks". ]

The first two would be nice, but that's the reality of teaching. Students will have a fixed schedule and a teacher is needed to fill that schedule. I think it's more important that teachers find out their schedule before signing any contract if that really is an issue for them.

If you are that much against police checks, you should reconsider working and living in a foreign country or provide a better system to track people who go to foreign countries to engage in other activities than those they have been contracted for.
Czarjorge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm officially freaking out. Damn. I've been procrastinating starting the process. And now I find I'm rewarded for my laziness. I thought I had everything ready but the job itself. So now I have another 4-6 months. Damn. Please tell me this is all nonsense and overreaction.
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on how this will affect renewals of current contracts?
hubba bubba

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I appreciate all the good intentions, people are simply talking out their arses here.

Yes, there is something in the pipeline about this, but nobody, including immigration, knows the details. There is talk of it being "sealed national records" as well as "a report from an authorized website".

Nobody knows for sure right now. If you think I'm joking, call immigration. They are as clueless as anyone on this board.

However, it wouldn't hurt to get the ball rolling, just in case.
Julius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should give you up to 6 months to provide it. That would be a bit more reasonable than insisting on it immediately.

This system still would not have stopped that wretched pedo from coming here, but it may stop good teachers who got a parking ticket 20 years ago.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happeningthang wrote:
Where's all this coming from anyway? Has there actually been some laws passed making a criminal check part of getting a visa, or is this just wild conjecture??

I think most of this is wild conjecture honestly. People are running around like chickens with their heads cut off saying things that may or may not be true.

I'm still unclear for sure whether this is going to effect F-2's or not. I saw it mentioned on the thread, but no soild proof.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: