Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new alien reg cards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rasta man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: new alien reg cards Reply with quote

just got back from vacation to find a post card from imigration saying they are "planning to renew alien registration certificates to help you with cyber business transactions"

2 wierd things:
1) we just renewed our visas before we left in Jan and had the new expiry dates written on our old card. they didn't mention new cards

2) the postcard said "designated period of renewal (Feb 1 - May 31 2002)"

anybody have any info on this?
weatherman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you location is Kwangju and I too live in Kwangju. I just renewed my card two weeks ago, and they said nothing about this to me when I was there. Also we had new cards made last year for I got a notice to do so last winter. I should have a new card made for mine has the wrong address on it, but immigration has over looked this fact the last two years I have gone there for a new working visa.
dogbert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the part about "help[ing] you with cyber business transactions" is pure unadulterated horsesh*t. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
Not to mention the part about "help[ing] you with cyber business transactions" is pure unadulterated horsesh*t. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Why?
The Bobster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fonz, what they REALLY want to do is keep track of how much money we send out of the country ... okay?
dogbert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:
dogbert wrote:

Why?

Because they don't work.

I actually got a bit upset by this as the MOJ went out of its way to promise that making cyber transactions easily available to non-Korean citizens was a major impetus behind revamping the certificate of alien registration. In other words, I believed them.

It would have been a simple matter for the Korean government to have issued new numbers that contained a valid "check digit", such as numbers for citizens have, which the websites can recognize and validate the number. Unfortunately, the government declined to do this and simply issued new worthless (i.e., invalid) numbers.

I posted an inquiry about this (in Korean) on the immigration website and received a response that basically said: "The new numbers are valid; however, it is the responsibility of each website operator to download and install this special program that will recognize foreigners's numbers". Funny how they never mentioned that before.

So, as you can imagine, virtually no website owners did this -- hell, they probably didn't even know this program existed, much less cared about the one or two foreigners who wanted to register with their websites. Immigration's advice to me was to petition the website's owner to use this special program. Of course, there is next to no incentive for them to do so. And in any event, this is no different than simply e-mailing and asking them to register you....which you wouldn't have to do had the Korean government simply issued numbers that would work from the get-go.

So, I say, it is pure horsesh*t.

I suspect that you are a dongpo. If so, this might be why you were unaware that the new foreigners's numbers don't work. If you do have a dongpo card, I would be curious to know if you've ever had a similar problem.
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suspect that you are a dongpo. If so, this might be why you were unaware that the new foreigners's numbers don't work. If you do have a dongpo card, I would be curious to know if you've ever had a similar problem.

what is a dongpo?
dogbert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "dongpo" is an ethnic Korean who is a citizen of a nation other than the Republic of Korea. It has substantially the same meaning as "kyopo". However, the Korean MOJ uses the term dongpo officially.

Many of us (i.e., persons who are not ethnic Koreans) are likely unaware that dongpo are not issued the same certificates of alien registration we are. They are issued their own style of cards and I suspect that their registration numbers may function like those issued Korean citizens.

Note that this is not related to the F-4 "kyopo visa".
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert knows his stuff. but from reading your message, i'd say its just a matter of time. and i'm sure most major websites will include the new immigrant numbers. if not exactly soon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: