Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It is worth working for a brand-new hagwon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: It is worth working for a brand-new hagwon? Reply with quote

Would any of you recommend working for a new hagwon? Especially if it means being the very first teacher?

How much more likely is the joint to be dodgy and/or fly-by-night if it's new like this?

Interested to hear what you have to say.
matko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak from my own personal experience.
I worked for a brand new Hagwon. There were 3 other teachers working there and we were all fresh of the plane. I found that the boss went out of his way to make us comfortable and enjoy our stay. He treated us with alot of class.
I'm sure alot of it had to do with the fact that he wanted to get off on the right foot.
There was a little confusion with scheduling. Working the kinks out. Also, there were not alot of students so none of the teachers were busy.
After about 6 months, however, business was booming and we were working our asses off. No complaints though.
I am one of the few people who didn't have alot of problems with my Job. I just didn't like Korea.
Hope this helps
Matko
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a good experience, but it seems to me that there would be so much pressure and uncertainty working at a brand spankin' new place. I can't say that I would take the risk. But who knows, maybe it'll be great.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably get star treatment, but you'd have to have the patience to put up with some wacky situations. That's my guess.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met a few teachers who specifically look for new hagwons because they figure the chances are good that they will be working at fewer than their contract hours, at least for a while ...
shawner88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would request weekly-biweekly pay for a while...hagwons go under more than people think, often leaving the foreigner without pay for a month or more of work
stalinsdad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first arrived in R.O.K. I started at a new school. You were given star treatment, but at times you would rather not. You are respected and can shape the curriculum but inevitably you work yourself silly and it can be stressful. I suppose there are no guarantees in life, good luck.
khyber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the first teacher at my school.

my school treated me WELL!!! I had NO trouble gettin settled and the school was really great for the first 3 months...asking me out and taking care of me very well. Byu that time i was settled and had made a few friends.

In terms of workload...well, somethigns were difficult, lack of resources (from things like flashcards, index cards, art supplies, lack of laminating machines as well as other office equipments...but not the biguns computer and photocopier).

the first korean (head) teacher had her stuff organized well and was a hard worker. It made the first 6 months successfull. the school was growing huge and we needed another teacher in about 5months.

personally, i've never worked my full 30hrs but that's not from lack of students...just classes. they don't want to split classes and scheduling is too difficult.

if you think you can trust the director and you can talk to the head teacher, i'd suggest it.

khyber

ps..i work at a chain school (BCM) which could have made the start up a bit easier i think.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was am the first (and still the only) foreign teacher at my hogwon. It opened up a year ago and I started back in September. Overall I'd say it has been a good experience.

The Good: Few work hours at the beginning. I had 14 classes when I began and only worked 4 days a week. Now I have 20 classes (maybe a couple more starting in March), and still only work 4 days a week. I seriously doubt I will get up to the maximum 30 classes/week this year. The hogwon is also very clean and is rather nice compared to the last hogwon I was at. My boss and I get along very well. As someone else mentioned, a boss is more inclined to be warm to you if he hasn't been burned by a foreigner.

The Bad: I have to create most of my own curriculum. My textbooks are just story books. The rest I have to do on my own. At first I could just get by with teaching basic english phrases and playing educational games, but now I am having to spend more time creating worksheets and other excercises. With a couple of my classes, I am at a loss of what to do with them beyond reading the story book and asking them reading comp. questions. My co-workers don't have much advice unfortunately.

Personally, I'd say go for it. YOu should definitly talk to the boss/manager a fair amount. If he seems sketchy in anyway, don't take the job. If he sounds fair and down-to-earth, it sounds promising. You should also ask him what his past is. If he says, "Oh, i used to be a Wonderland manager," DON'T go there Smile.
justagirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow--that sounded just like my school.

I also was the first native teacher at my school and we used storyboooks to teach as well. We had to make all the materials ourselfs, and I used to go in an hour or two early every day to make things.

Fortunately we have a good supply for teaching most of the storybooks now, and the lucky teacher that is taking my place won't have to spend any time prepping if he doesn't want to.

Working for a new school??? Well, if the director is not REALLY RICH, it's going to be difficult for him financially. That's what happened at my school, but I've always gotten paid on time, etc.

I also got to write my contract since I was his first foreigner...I got a good deal. Very Happy I knew I was safe cause our contract protected me a lot.

If you don't mind extra work (cause you will create the curriculum), the benifits seem to be pretty good. Fewer hours (true), new building (heat and a/c), optimistic boss...definitely worth giving it a shot.

ej
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: