Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New E-2 Guidelines????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadarite wrote:
Why don't they have these interviews with the teachers when they come to Korea instead? It would make more sense for the immigration office associated with the city you will be working in to know about you instead of a group back home who will never see you after you leave.

You answered your own question.
4 months left

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keepongoing wrote:
i have been in korea 5 years. I have taught in a University for 4. I have a residential 2 year (31 semester hours) MA TESOL from San Jose State. I will not stay in Korea if I have to go back to the US to jump through their hoops. However, I heard rumor (many rumors going around) that someone with an MA could get an E1 and E1's dont have to jump through those hoops

anyway, whichever way it goes I willl move on rather than do all the sh_t they are suggesting

That would be normal K-Logic...someone with an MA could never be a criminal or pedaphile. I have worked with lots of freaky MAs, I would put them near the top of the list not at the bottom. Maybe they should look in the mirror with their own problems with graduate school degrees.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

About 5 years ago, Korea tried to enact an immigration rule stating that they would only give E2 visas to people with 4-year degrees- if Korea enacted that rule, it would sideline almost every person from the commonwealth.

The vast majority of Canadian undergrad degrees are 4-year.
indytrucks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post this in a thread in the Job Discussion Forum like I earlier had said, but I figure I may as well post it here.

I've just come back from a short meeting with some of the proper people at my uni. I took with me a copy of the Herald article, and a copy of the Korean version of the proposed regs I downloaded from the Ministry of Justice website. I was told by this uni offical that on the surface, it would appear as though these new regs are aimed at newbies, although the inclusion of the word 'renewal' was problematic.

Apparently, my uni is aware of these proposed changes, but their hands are tied unitl word is made official. So, basically it's wait and see. Pretty much like I figured.

So, that's that. Wait until the 1st of December. That's what I'm going to do. I've stressed out enough about this. Pass the paracetemol.
Optimus Prime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:
What is an apostille?

I'm going to post this info here as well:

An apostille is a document stapled over another document that has been notarized as a true copy or sworn statement. It is a guarantee by the state/province/district that the notary who notarized the document really, really, really is a true notary properly registered with said state/province/district and really, really, really has the power to notarize/validate documents in said state/province/district.

Apostilles are not uncommon to satisfy the authentication of foreign documents for work/business overseas.

There are a lot of crooked "notaries" out there so an apostille is an extra guarantee of legitimacy.

In the US apostilles are done by the Secretary of State's office in the state where the document was notarized (and where the notary would be registered). There usually is no fee if you're willing to wait a week-10 days for them to mail back your notarized document (with an apostille). There is a fee if you want it right away, ie: walk-ins.

It sounds complicated but it's not.

Here's the info page from the Secretary of State's office for apostilles of notarized documents in Colorado:

http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/bingo_raffles/apostille.htm

But who can guarantee the Apostillizing isn't forged by us criminal, western scum?
jinju

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indytrucks wrote:
I was going to post this in a thread in the Job Discussion Forum like I earlier had said, but I figure I may as well post it here.

I've just come back from a short meeting with some of the proper people at my uni. I took with me a copy of the Herald article, and a copy of the Korean version of the proposed regs I downloaded from the Ministry of Justice website. I was told by this uni offical that on the surface, it would appear as though these new regs are aimed at newbies, although the inclusion of the word 'renewal' was problematic.

Apparently, my uni is aware of these proposed changes, but their hands are tied unitl word is made official. So, basically it's wait and see. Pretty much like I figured.

So, that's that. Wait until the 1st of December. That's what I'm going to do. I've stressed out enough about this. Pass the paracetemol.

Arent you on an F2? What are they gonna do? You are not required to get any of this.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:

Honours degrees are 4-years degrees.
General degrees are 3-year degrees.
indytrucks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jinju wrote:
Arent you on an F2?

No.
IncognitoHFX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young FRANKenstein wrote:
Pyongshin Sangja wrote:

Honours degrees are 4-years degrees.
General degrees are 3-year degrees.

No, in Canada BA degrees (not honours) are four years, as are honours degrees. Honours degrees require more courses (and a more detailed thesis) so they usually take more than four years, it really depends on the person.

The BA you're thinking about that takes three years is the BA without a Major. A three year BA has two Minors, no Major (15 credits for three year, 20 credits for four year with Major).

When did you graduate? I know you could get three year degrees with majors... what, fifteen-twenty years ago or something like that... my mum has one.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IncognitoHFX wrote:
When did you graduate? I know you could get three year degrees with majors... what, fifteen-twenty years ago or something like that... my mum has one.

Not that long ago, and at my uni you still can. Of my three bachelor degrees, two of them are 3-year degrees. All three degrees are with a major. BA English (3), BA Educational Psych (4), BMath Combinatorics (3).
esetters21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy...you're right. I deleted. Thanks for the insight Smile .

Last edited by esetters21 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
indytrucks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esetters21 wrote:
I feel pretty good about the new proposed regs. All of you that gloat "aboat" your tourist visas and your illegal endeavors should get what is coming to you. Go back to your country and stop abusing the system and ruining it for the rest of us. By the way, it was one of your kind that brought these proposed changes about in the first place.

I'm all for the new regs as well, just the prospect of having to go back to my country of origin every time I want to renew my visa, presumably on my own dime, is not something I particularly relish. We'll see.

The nationaistic flamebaiting isn't necessary.
SuperHero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IncognitoHFX wrote:

1995 and I have a 3 year degree with a major in Asian Studies and a minor in Philosophy.
jinju

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indytrucks wrote:
jinju wrote:
Arent you on an F2?

No.

I could swear you were married to a Korean. Why no F2?
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWhitehead wrote:
i'd also like to point out that i've got a freaking GORGEOUS and huge degree (thank you, university of virginia) and i'll be DAMNED if anyone is going to write *beep* on it, staple it, or otherwise mark it in any way.

You get a notarized "true copy" of a document apostilled, not the original.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 3 of 78

Jump to: