Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New E-2 Guidelines????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info for US apostilles:

Your Secretary of State's office does apostilles--they have to--the US is a signatory of the Hague Convention on Authentication of Foreign Documents, whose (full force of) rules just kicked in recently.

Call your Secretary of State's office. They'll tell you how to get notarized documents apostilled--either by mail-in, or walk-in. Remember--the notary who notarized your documents does have to be from the same state (ie: registered as a notary there)
They will also ask you for which country you need the apostille.

Basically all the Secretary of State's office does (or any other body where notaries are registered) is:

A) Check that the notary is registered with said state/body
B) Compare the signature of the notarized document with the sig they have on record.
C) Authenticate document by various means--In the US stapling another document with the Sec of State's seal over the notarized document, stamps, etc.
The method of authentication depends on which country you're from and if they're signatories to the Hague Convention.

Some things to look out for which get apostille requests rejected:

1) Notary's commission has expired or will expire soon (check the date and make sure the commission will be valid for quite a while after you've submitted the document to whomever wants it)
2) Notary does not sign exactly the same way as they did when they registered with the State/Body ie: registered with the state as "John A. Smith" but sign a notarized document "John Smith."

Notaries do screw up and these are the most common screw-ups.

Also, if your notarized "true copy" document is authenticated by having another document stapled over it, do NOT remove the staples or alter it in any way. This voids the authentication.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apostille in Canada

There is an authentication "stamp" (not a "certificate" stapled-over-notarized-document like in the US). Korean immigration will accept apostilled documents from Canada--just like Korea, Canada is also not a signatory to the Hague Convention on Authentication of Foreign Documents. But they do have notary authentication mechanisms.

More info:

http://www.redsealnotary.com/authentication-canada/legalization-canada/apostille-canada/authentication-legalization-apostille-canada.html
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not from the US or Canada, just ask a notary/lawyer/courthouse in your home country how and where to get documents apostilled and/or try some internet research.

Also, if any of you find out how to get documents apostilled in your (other)respective countries, please post the info here. Thanks!

For example, Apostille in the UK:

http://www.notarypublicinlondon.com/services.html

Quote:
You can of course take care of all legalisation work yourself. After seeing your notary, you can then get that notary stamp, seal and signature confirmed by taking it yourself to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and (if needed) the relevant consulate.

cuckoo for kimchi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: New E-2 Guidelines???? Reply with quote

purple crayon wrote:
Me and the bf are coming back to Korea in Jan 08 and we have been informed that there are new E-2 visa guidelines... they are pretty intense here they are:

Dear Teachers and Schools,

In accordance with new Government immigration regulations and to qualify for a teaching visa in South Korea, it is now necessary to prepare and complete the following (if applying for the E2 visa AFTER Decmber 1st):

- Original diploma notarized at your local Government office (please see Apostile attachments)

- Sealed University transcripts

- 4 Passport Pics

- Photocopy of the picture page of your passport

- Medical report form (please see attachment)

- Police clearance form from your local police station

All applicants must also undergo an interview at the South Korean Embassy of their home country. ( This interview is in person they tell me--pretty funny how the closest to my house is eight hours away)

These additional regulations come into effect as of December 1st, 2007.

any one else hear anything about this?????

You forgot the letter from your mother stating you are definitely her child signed by the Prime Minister
indytrucks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jinju wrote:
indytrucks wrote:
jinju wrote:
Arent you on an F2?

No.

I could swear you were married to a Korean. Why no F2?

I'm married, but not to a Korean.
hari seldon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand (and applaud) requiring criminal record checks, but what's the point of requiring teachers to fly back to their home countries?
Optimus Prime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:
If you're not from the US or Canada, just ask a notary/lawyer/courthouse in your home country how and where to get documents apostilled and/or try some internet research.

Also, if any of you find out how to get documents apostilled in your (other)respective countries, please post the info here. Thanks!

Quote:
You can of course take care of all legalisation work yourself. After seeing your notary, you can then get that notary stamp, seal and signature confirmed by taking it yourself to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and (if needed) the relevant consulate.

I'm sure droves of prospective teachers are going to hire lawyers just so they can work in Korea Rolling Eyes
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus Prime wrote:
canuckistan wrote:

Quote:

I'm sure droves of prospective teachers are going to hire lawyers just so they can work in Korea Rolling Eyes

You obviously *didn't* read it. NO HIRING OF LAWYERS NEEDED. I highlighted the part where it says you can get apostilles done by yourself, I repeat BY YOURSELF by getting your notarized document to the FOREIGN AND COMMONWEALTH OFFICE.

I mean really, how hard is this to read/understand? Rolling Eyes
Hyeon Een

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:
canuckistan wrote:

Quote:

You obviously *didn't* read it. NO HIRING OF LAWYERS NEEDED. I highlighted the part where it says you can get apostilles done by yourself, I repeat BY YOURSELF by getting your notarized document to the FOREIGN AND COMMONWEALTH OFFICE.

I'm not sure about where you're from, but in the UK notary publics are lawyers. So to get the document notarised before the apostille needs a lawyer of some kind.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyeon Een wrote:
canuckistan wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:
canuckistan wrote:

Quote:

I'm not sure about where you're from, but in the UK notary publics are lawyers. So to get the document notarised before the apostille needs a lawyer of some kind.

Getting ANY document notarized takes a notary (or lawyer if you will).
How many people have made the smart move of having a "true copy" of their diplomas notarized before going to Korea because they don't want to hand over the original?
So the "having to engage a notary" (or lawyer) for a notarization is *nothing new*--unless one wants to save the notarization fee and risk having their original diploma held hostage/lost by a recruiter or haggie boss.
sojourner1

Location: Where meggi swim and 2 wheeled tractors go sput put chug alugg pug pug

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Canuckistan for helping in researching these sorts of things. I still feel that trying for my new E-2 is a daunting task due to time and financial costs associated as well as the unproven bureaucratic process involved.
penguin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia:

Apostille:
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/authen.html

Criminal Record Check:
http://www.afp.gov.au/business/national_police_checks
PhD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:
Getting ANY document notarized takes a notary (or lawyer if you will).

How many people have made the smart move of having a "true copy" of their diplomas notarized before going to Korea because they don't want to hand over the original?

So the "having to engage a notary" (or lawyer) for a notarization is *nothing new*--unless one wants to save the notarization fee and risk having their original diploma held hostage/lost by a recruiter or haggie boss.

I did! AND I went to the Korean Consulate and had a certified copy made. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the original and now have to go home to get it.

What I really want to know is: When are the regulations scheduled to be published?
Sincinnatislink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an outroar?
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to point out to Canadians: getting a police background check takes a whole 5-10 minutes. Even though I have an F-2 visa, I don't want some good job demanding one and not have one in hand. They are easy as pie to get. Any local police station can do it.

You shouldn't need the one that requires fingerprinting. Most jobs in Canada that require back ground checks don't even require that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 4 of 78

Jump to: