Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check now -UPDATED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vlcupper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yingwenlaoshi wrote:
fruitcake wrote:
yingwenlaoshi wrote:
fruitcake wrote:
yingwenlaoshi, hope you're right!

Yeah. It's a "from now on" thing. If they want your criminal and medical checks and you've been here a while, they'll just ask you for them. A case be case deal. At immi's whim.

Easy as that.

wha? so if I roll in to renew, they could out-of-the-blue ask me for those documents?

I'm not convinced there is a clear distinction between "renewing" and "applying" being made with either their documents or the interpretation of them.

I don't mean that you should have them in possession. They would just ask you to obtain them. If they have to wait, they have to wait.

I don't know if that's what they'll do, but I guess it would be their decision since immi can do pretty much what they want. Case by case.

All I'm saying is that to renew, you don't need these documents. Applying for a visa, you need them. Don't pay attention to what I think they might do in certain cases. That's up to them.

Sounds like whatever's the case, it would be good to apply now. This'll be interesting seeing as how I haven't set foot on American soil in 5 years. Just to be clear starting this month to get a new E2 we'll need:

background check
med check
diploma
transcripts

Anything else?
Yesterday

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yingwenlaoshi wrote:
indytrucks wrote:
yingwenlaoshi wrote:
I talked with immi today. They just received the offical letter that it's only applicants for E2's that need these documents.

I hope you're right, but I would be very surprised if it were the case. Which immi branch did you speak with?

Why would you be surprised? I don't think immi wants to deal with upset schools and impossible situations where everyone's left without teachers. I'm not one bit surprised.

I don't want to advertise what branch I'm at. Not into telling everyone where I live for certain things I write about my job.

Are you suggesting to us that you are an Immigration Officer?? A Korean Immigration Officer who types perfect English and loves hanging out on Daves ESL cafe in your spare time?

I thought I had already said that the criminal check, medical check etc were for E-2 visa applicants...

but you are giving people the wrong impression...

basically whether you are resigning or applying for an E-2 visa as a "newbie" you are still and E-2 visa applicant...

It was only John Kerry from the "Korean Herald" who published that those teachers employed by the Ministry (dept) of Education need not submit their police-checks - however - I don't believe half the stuff he writes...

(he is just a journalist - writing rumors)...
yingwenlaoshi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday wrote:
Are you suggesting to us that you are an Immigration Officer?? A Korean Immigration Officer who types perfect English and loves hanging out on Daves ESL cafe in your spare time?

Not sure what you mean by this. I was only saying that I don't want to advertise what branch my immi office is because it might give away who I am if my co-workers or whoever checks out Dave's.

Yesterday wrote:
I thought I had already said that the criminal check, medical check etc were for E-2 visa applicants...

but you are giving people the wrong impression...

Well if you only said the checks were for E2 applicants, I'm sorry. But I thought you were saying that people should apply for these checks now. Even if you are only re-signing. Or maybe you said that people who are re-signing should get the checks just in case. Not that that's a bad suggestion, but who knows how long they're valid, etc.

Anyway, you go on to say...

Yesterday wrote:
basically whether you are resigning or applying for an E-2 visa as a "newbie" you are still and E-2 visa applicant...

what do you mean? Which is it? Re-signing (which is renewing or, quite simply, extending your sojourn) is the same as applying for an E2 visa? How so? Maybe you could define "resigning" to us. "Resigning" means "quitting". Which would mean you are without an E2 after resigning. And if you want another job after resigning, you'd have to apply for an E2. That would make you an E2 applicant. If you mean "re-signing" as in signing a new contract with your previous school (without having extended your sojourn (finish your contract, go back home or whatever, and sign again with the same school later) then that would also make you an E2 applicant.

Are you equating "resigning" with "renewing" or "extending a sojourn"? If so, it doesn't make you an E2 applicant.

What do you mean by "newbie". I would think a newbie is someone who is applying for an E2 for the first time. Ever.

Anyway, yeah. I wouldn't take to heart what buddy is writing for the newspaper.

And I don't really think your advice was all that bad about people getting ready and applying for checks now just in case. It's at least trying to be helpful.

But I really don't think everyone should panic. Just wait for the official news. Especially when they're going to announce it within a week.
Julius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlcupper wrote:
Just to be clear starting this month to get a new E2 we'll need:

background check
med check
diploma
transcripts

Anything else?

Thats not so bad then. It was mainly the apostille I was worried about.
ewok

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a major university, that has E-2 teachers for 20 different languages.

We got a notice from our academics department saying that immgiration had told them that
ALL RENEWING E-2s need to have a Criminal Background check.

here is the exact wording :

Quote:
Basically, they told me you have to submit Criminal Record Checks Certificate when you extent E-2 Visa.

However, in the consideration of taking time of procedure in home country, Immigration Office will accept any type of documentary evidence for issuing Criminal Record Checks Certificate instead of Original Criminal Record Checks Certificate. And You must submit Original Criminal Record Checks Certificate later which is only valid three months from the issuance date in your country.

Some countries take two months to get that document. Other countries take longer.

But important thing is that it is only valid within three months from the issuance date in your country.

and Use DHL or Fedex which is much faster than normal airmail.

Therefore, you should ask embassy of your country in Korea or your Local Police Station and request your Certificate right now and I will give you the rest of required docus soon.

This is a major problem for many of us, since most of our embassies do not issue Criminal background checks. (I'm talking about countries like myanmar, thailand, pakistan, colombia, etc...)
So many people will have to make a trip home just to request the check, and then wait around for it to be processed.
Cymro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official new rules will be announced tomorrow (Friday) and I for one look forward to them being posted in a new thread that sticks to the facts and hope to see this one purged for it's inaccuracies, guesses, hearsay and panic-sowing comments.
yingwenlaoshi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cymro wrote:
The official new rules will be announced tomorrow (Friday) and I for one look forward to them being posted in a new thread that sticks to the facts and hope to see this one purged for it's inaccuracies, guesses, hearsay and panic-sowing comments.

Anyway, doesn't matter. Let immi deal with it. If they decide you can't stay, then so be it.

Whatever. Yeah. It's nice and all to hear about these "all so important' news reports. Fk it.
Yesterday

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cymro wrote:

Guesses...?

Guess what - when the government releases its new policies tomorrow - I will publish it here....

My first thread to go OVER 10,000 views...
lastat06513

Location: Sensus amo Caesar , etiamnunc victus amo uni plebian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Korea will now follow in the ranks of places like Taiwan in making things difficult for people to find work......great job, Korea- what a "sparkling" idea Rolling Eyes
Yesterday

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its seems one company WINNING from all this is EPIK....

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/archives/result_contents.asp
chris_J2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link requires a log in & password, but I went back to the main KH page, & found it in another hyperlink. Theyve disabled right click mouse function, so I can't copy & paste the full article here, or even the hyperlink.

The heading is:

"217 native English speakers recruited for Public Schools"

Click on 'Korea Herald' top right, then "National" 2nd down.

The required article is 4 items down.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what really stinks about this 3 month thing is my wifes e2 expires in sept and we were planning to spend the summer in europe for our 15th wedding anniv and now she's gonna have to get this instead of this winter when we'll be home

tinkiling indeed
yingwenlaoshi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lastat06513 wrote:
I think Korea will now follow in the ranks of places like Taiwan in making things difficult for people to find work......great job, Korea- what a "sparkling" idea Rolling Eyes

All too true about Taiwan. It's not easy with the visa process there. And with employers. Most people here don't realise that. Taiwan is a major pain in the butt. You can't extend as far as I know. I was there two years and never had a work visa.

AND you have less rights there. Or on the surface you do. Korea is a paradise, in this matter, compared to Taiwan. In the most part, your employer pays you by the hour. Visa or no visa. "Sorry, but we have to cut your hours. Less money for you." Really.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_J2 wrote:
That link requires a log in & password, but I went back to the main KH page, & found it in another hyperlink. Theyve disabled right click mouse function, so I can't copy & paste the full article here, or even the hyperlink.

The heading is:

"217 native English speakers recruited for Public Schools"

Click on 'Korea Herald' top right, then "National" 2nd down.

The required article is 4 items down.

Chris, just print-screen it and paste it from the clipboard into something like photoshop. Then crop it and save that as a .jpg. Then post it here.
yingwenlaoshi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday does have a point though. They're going to announce something. If you can do whatever you can next week before the pending regulations come into effect, DO IT. That's if there really is going to be a need to do anthing. All you can do at this point is wait and see.

Like I said before, immi told me they received a letter confirming that all of this actually only applies to NEW applicants from their home countries.

Even yet, if what I was told comes to be untrue, discretion is with each immi officer or branch.

Whatever rules/laws there may be, I could probably work here without providing any checks.

What someone said before either here or on another thread about your boss saying "I have friends at immi" being not true, I have to say otherwise. Too often they do have friends or some kind of agreement with immi. Don't fool yourselves. If you boss really needs you then he'll find a way to keep you.

Last edited by yingwenlaoshi on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: