Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The scoop on working in public schools?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weelittlejess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: The scoop on working in public schools? Reply with quote

I'm teaching in a Hagwan right now, but I am interested in working in an actual *school* for my next contract.

Does anyone know how to go about getting ESL positions at public elementaries?

Also... for those of you with this kind of position, how are you finding it? I've only talked with two teachers working in public schools, and they love it, but 45 kids? I just don't know!

Thanks,
Jess
The Den

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check out the EPIK program if I were you. I once took a job at a public school and I did not enjoy it. Lack of materials, poor housing, large numbers, etc. Although I was always paid on time.
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um EPIK (English Program In Korea) in the public school system can be alright if you get a good placement or terrible with a bad placement.
I'm into my fifth year now of working in public schools and have always been supplied with good accommodation. If they try to move you into a dump then refuse to move in as once they get you in the door then you will find it harder to get a shift. Perhaps 2% or 3% of EPIKS might have to do this.
Working with Korean teachers takes some adjustment and this is the main cause for EPIKs to leave the program. Don't make out that your teaching methods are better than their's and treat teacher training classes as an English social club and you will get along better.
Class size is usually 35. Don't apply unless you can control this size class as you will often find that you are expected to teach by yourself.

This is the best site on EPIK and brings you up to date on the program.

http://efl-law.com/epik.pages.htm
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public Elementary School? Oy...I wouldn't touch that, personally.

Now...Middle School...that's where I'm at now. That's alright. The kids are young enough to still think jokes are funny, but old enough to not try to poke you in the rump when you have your back to them.

I'm good with class control and peer pressure-style manipulation, so I can easily control a big class without too much hassle. But when the number was 50+ students, I had my good days and my bad days with this.

Make absolutely sure that someone on the staff speaks English very well. Many teachers at my school know some basic English, but I can only really carry on a solid conversation with one of them. She's my liason for pretty much getting anything done in the school.

My observation is that public school jobs have this habit of falling into your lap unexpectedly, as opposed to being highly searchable. I could be wrong, but I've rarely seen a public school advertise openings.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Public and private schools Reply with quote

I work at a private (Presbyterian) junior high and I like it a lot. I started working here through the Fulbright ETA program, but now I contract privately. And just a note...there's not a lot of difference between private and public schools here. The uniforms, facilities, and classes are pretty much the same. Private schools (elementary-high) can even get money from the gov't here.

There are a few programs that place teachers in schools: Fulbright ETA (must be from the U.S.), EPIK, and the Jeollanamdo Language Program--which is pretty much the same as EPIK. (Note: these programs only place participants in secondary schools as English Teaching Assistants, i.e. you will be seeing a large number of students from the school, most likely just once a week.) You can also try to contract with a school. I think visiting schools and asking them about teaching there, as well as giving out resumes, etc. is the best way to get that kind of position. Some schools may advertise in the Korea Times or Herald as well.

The class sizes at my junior high are now 35 (as of March 3rd!). That is the case with all junior highs (as far as I know) this year. Korean schools are moving towards smaller and smaller class sizes. Last year the size was 40. Now it's really comprable to home for me. And I always have another teacher in the classroom with me (the 'regular' English teacher).

Vacations are great, the hours are great (except for that 7:45 a.m. class!), and it's a great way to learn about Korea from the inside. I'd highly recommend teaching at a school.
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Check out the provience or city that you are applying to get on with. I'm not currently up to date with Jeollamamdo's program but a while back they had their foreign teachers mainly and sometimes completely teaching teachers. Some like this, and some don't! The other thing with Jeollanamdo is that you had to teach at the Damyang teacher training centre during the school holidays and live close by away from your normal residence. There are other proviences besides Jeollanamdo that run their own programs. Currently Jeollamamdo is advertising on the Korean Job board. I teach at a special high school and only teach teachers for two hours a week. So programs vary from place to place.

Students! Each to his own. I like 5th and 6th grade elementary the most and then first year middle school next. High school kids quiet often have lost interest in studying English and require a lot of effort to get them re-interested. I find that it takes me about 6 months to build up a good repore with my students when I start at a new school. It is much easier in the second year if you have the support of your previous year's students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: