Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats wrong with my computer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Whats wrong with my computer? Reply with quote

I have a small, for now, problem. The web browser Im using is going a bit screwy. The fonts seem to be very weird, appearing boxy and big and in the toolbar where I have the "stop" "back" "forward" etc buttons, as well as in the box where I you type the url, instead of arrows i get the number "6". Now as Im typing this post, on the bottom under the window where you have "disable BBCode in this post" "Disable Smilies in this post" etc instead of little windows I get some strange icons that look like x's. Is there anyway to fix this problem. The speed of my computer also seems to be significantly reduced when opening the web browser.
reedtea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 answer: you have a virus. Try going to TrendMicro, and using their free online virus scanner. Use the AutoFix button to try to clear anything it finds.

#2 you may have spyware/browser hijack issues. Look for Ad-Aware 6.0 and SpyBot S&D. Both are also freeware.

After you are clear, consider a firewall, hijack, and antivirus suite of programs.

regards,

G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem on an old computer, and it happened immediately after I tried changing the document encoding to Hangeul so I could read some Korean characters posted on this forum.

I had numbers replacing the minimise, maximise and close buttons on the web browser and other folders, chunky unreadable text and check-boxes became little x shapes.

I didn't have a clue how to fix it, but one day I installed a new computer game (Championship Manager K-League), and the next time I started the computer up again after that installation everything was fine!
Make of that what you will...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: