Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Legally Hammer your Hagwon Boss Into Submission
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountainous wrote:
mountainous wrote:
Hagwon owners do get prosecuted for ripping off employees

So you are speaking of civil prosecution, correct?

This starts a process of administrative tribunal backed by criminal prosecution (i.e., the power of the State)�the most effective implement to deal with a snake.

I have never heard of a hakwon boss getting thrown in jail for refusing to pay salary. In fact, there are many stories about hakwons who fail to pay civil judgments after the Labor Board has ruled in the employee's favor. Nothing happens to these hakwon bosses.

Can anyone cite ONE instance where a hakwon boss was criminally prosecuted for refusing to pay salary? This story is so obviously false...and it is a sticky, lol Laughing

Case:

Art and Song English Kindergarten, Gyeonggi-do, Suwon-si, Jangan-gu, Jowon-dong, spring 2004.
Owner was sentenced to 1 year for violations of the labor act in reference to an Australian teacher who was royally screwed and illegally terminated.

I was personally involved in that one and watched it happen.

mountainous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any thread(s) on the event?

I wonder what the hakwon boss did besides failing to pay wages and illegal termination? We hear stories like that all the time....doesn't seem to deter hakwons from scamming teachers.
jangsalgida

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
mountainous wrote:
mountainous wrote:
Hagwon owners do get prosecuted for ripping off employees

So you are speaking of civil prosecution, correct?

This starts a process of administrative tribunal backed by criminal prosecution (i.e., the power of the State)�the most effective implement to deal with a snake.

I have never heard of a hakwon boss getting thrown in jail for refusing to pay salary. In fact, there are many stories about hakwons who fail to pay civil judgments after the Labor Board has ruled in the employee's favor. Nothing happens to these hakwon bosses.

Can anyone cite ONE instance where a hakwon boss was criminally prosecuted for refusing to pay salary? This story is so obviously false...and it is a sticky, lol Laughing

Case:

Art and Song English Kindergarten, Gyeonggi-do, Suwon-si, Jangan-gu, Jowon-dong, spring 2004.
Owner was sentenced to 1 year for violations of the labor act in reference to an Australian teacher who was royally screwed and illegally terminated.

I was personally involved in that one and watched it happen.

At which court, and what's the case number? How were you personally involved?
Sushi

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the number for a case I got myself into, and the guy at the other end spoke fluent English. I did have a valid case for the labour department, but I had left it too late. You have to appeal to the labour law people within 4 months of your grievance.

If I should want to go through the courts, he said it would be too expensive and time consumming. He did suggest that I check ut the Seoul city hall webb site, and look for the Seoul Global center.
beast

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All lawyers are snakes and you live on Fantasy freakin' Island if you think you can hammer any korean into submission through the legal system here unless you are willing to invest years and mucho dineiro in the process.
jangsalgida

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beast wrote:
All lawyers are snakes and you live on Fantasy freakin' Island if you think you can hammer any korean into submission through the legal system here unless you are willing to invest years and mucho dineiro in the process.

I SECOND that lawyer/snake bit.

But, it won't cost as much if you do it yourself(just pay for translation/interpretation fees). Of course you could USE lawyers for any free advice you can get out of them.
Sushi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ask them for advice and they usually give it gladly. One lawyer advised me that if a person is kicked out of a job for any reason at all, he or she can claim money owing up to when that person's contract expires. Labour board is supposed to fight for that.

There is a good lawyer in Gwangju who will gladly offer advice for free. He is part of the Gwangju International center and a faculty member of the Gwangju National University. PM me for info.
renata

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was fired last night, unjustifiably and with no warning for refusing to work extra overtime.

i called this number and the man at the other end said "why are you calling me?"

so either it wasn't mr. bong-soo jung or he is nowhere near as helpful as claimed. does anyone know anywhere else i could go for help??
Sushi

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renata why don't you go to your local labur office. Take your contract, and level with them. PM me if you need extra help
gerald.in.korea

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: RE: i was fired last night, unjustifiably and with no warnin Reply with quote

I am from KangNam Labor Law Firm.
Your post was brought to may attention from some one who read this form on a regular basis. I check with Mr. Jung, you got a wrong number.

my email is simple it is gerald.in.korea AT gmail.com contact me immediately. The consult is free of charge. It lets us determine how best to help you.

Cheers,

Gerald
Medic

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mention of using a report to the income tax department to get back at a howon is worth checking out. telephone number is 02 397 1440. They said it would help if you had the Hogwons or Institutes buisness registration number when you dobbed them in. They do the investigating, but it's confidential between them and the employer.

They also gave the e mail for initiating investigations as [email protected]
mountainous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another thread about the Korean Government defrauding a teacher: http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=114119
sojourner1

Location: Where meggi swim and 2 wheeled tractors go sput put chug alugg pug pug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't require a lawyer to file and win a complaint centered around a hagwon failing to file taxes and pension money into the system. The government agencies including NTS, NPS, and labor ought to have the power to investigate and fix this shit.

This is white collar crime and is not tolerated in most countries, but many Asian countries seem to not have a handle on business related crimes so corruptions run rife. The Korean government just needs to tell them (hagwons) that if they don't do right within the guidlines of the law, then they will get their operating license pulled for 1 year and their students will have to find a new school immediately and any money in the school and directors accounts will be paid to it's whome it's owed such as teachers, parents, NTS, and NPS. This would fix this crapola of a private education system.

There also should never be a problem with a public school, but when there is, that would warrent going up their chain of ranks with the complaint and supporting facts. If they let corruptions run rampant or get worse, then it's advisable not to do any future business with this country again and warn others. This is not what a developing country who has come a long way from being dirt poor who is now striving to move from hardware to software wants or needs for itself. It behooves them to do the right thing if inviting foreigners to teach English and do business such as sharing technical manufacturing knowledge like the German and American engineers do. I don't hear of complaints or problems with the engineers, because they have a large company negotiating the conditions and this knowledge is critically important to Koreas success.
mountainous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to nomu-sa Mr. Bong-Soo Jung.

He quoted 500,000 W retainer + 30% contingency.
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Very interesting, indeed Reply with quote

[quote="gerald.in.korea"]I am from KangNam Labor Law Firm.
Your post was brought to may attention from some one who read this form on a regular basis. I check with Mr. Jung, you got a wrong number.

my email is simple it is gerald.in.korea AT gmail.com contact me immediately. The consult is free of charge. It lets us determine how best to help you.

Cheers,

Gerald[/quote]

It's interesting a rep from KangNam would be here reading these links. It appears hogwan shenanigans are so common here there is a "hogwan prosecution industry".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: