Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Runs...Fukuoka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliemk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried searching for this, but the search came up blank. Anyone know what time the Korean consulate opens in Fukuoka? Thanks.
eirrehs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: website? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a website address or phone number for the Fukuoka Korean Consulate?
elliemk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone number for consulate is 092-771-0461

Here's info about my run - First, make absolutely sure you have your exit order before you go through immigration at the ferry terminal or airport (assuming you left your job early with a letter of release). Also, when you arrive at the ferry terminal, get a map of the city and a bus pass for one or two days. Cost is 6,000 Yen per day and well worth it, as the buses cost about 220 Yen just to get on and more depending on how far you go. The subway is okay, but the bus is easier as far as I'm concerned.

Also make sure you take one passport size photo with you to Japan or you will pay $6.00 (6,000 Yen) to get some made at the consulate photo booth.

I went to the consulate this morning. Was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

I am staying at the Central Hotel, booked through Kangsan Travel in Busan. They include a coupon for the breakfast buffet, which was quite tasty and consisted of traditional Japanese and some American dishes. Coffee, juice, etc. are included.

If you book through Kangsan, you won't automatically be given a room with Internet access if you want to bring your laptop. They happily changed rooms for me.

You can get to the consulate so easily by taking a bus - it takes about 20 or 25 minutes (don't know for sure because I didn't have a watch). Take the 300 or the 301 or ask at the desk which ones go in that direction - there are several.

If you're interested in Buddhist temples, visit the Tochoji Temple, the oldest Buddhist temple of the Singon sect with the largest wooden Buddha in Japan. This is the temple that is right on the main street nearest the subway station. Across the busy street is a little cemetary and another point of interest. Behind Tochoji Temple you'll find Shofukuji Temple, the first Zen temple in Japa. Also not far down the street in a different direction is the Kashida Shrine. There is a small museum connected to the shrine. I'm getting ready to go there this afternoon, and Canal City (which someone else mentioned) is close by to these temples.

There are cheaper hotels than the Central. A friend stayed at the JBB Hotel, which is right next door to the folk museum. The JBB is listed at $47 a night, but they charged her less. around $45.

Japan is really clean. I think someone mentioned this in another thread. You can drink the water too! What a pleasant change from Korea.
halifax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to Fukuoka on the 26th of December for visa run. Anyone else going at this time?

I will be leaving from Incheon at 8 in the morning.

Any good capsule motel recommendations?
craigmcc1982

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get my paperwork done before the 15th Dec so am heading to Fukuoka on the 27th.

Will be on the JAL flight at 8am from Incheon.

Anybody else going at this time??
frenchytml

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: help a noob! Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just wondered if someone could tell me what I need to bring with me to do a visa run in fukuoka? Has there been any changes since Korea instituted the new rules? Are there any problems coming as a tourist (from canada) and then going to Japan to get the E2? I would process it here before I go, but my last boss LOST my diploma, and I'm waiting on a new one from my university so I might have to go over as a tourist first.
would greatly appreciate your help guys!
thanks
Canuckophile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Nice Cheap Motel (yogwon) in PUSAN Reply with quote

This is an excellent thread - thought I'd contribute something for those who stay overnight in Pusan.

If you are taking one of the morning fast ferries to Fukuoka, and want a decent place to stay the night before, I recommend the DONGYANG MOTEL (phone 051-442-1248/ 1249; email [email protected] - website www.dymotel.com)

My very spacious room is 35,000W per night, with big HDTV (I can't figure out how to turn it on, though!), free computer with internet (slow but it works - like right now!) an enormous bathroom with what looks like a whirlpool and one of those humongous Korean shower thingies that looks like it could propel a boat out of the bathroom. And everything looks CLEAN, which is not always true here in Kimchi-land, in my experience.

You get a king-size bed (with Korean bedding) plus a hot/cold water cooler and little fridge with tea etc.

It's easy to find from the BUSAN STATION subway terminal. You exit the terminal (NOT through the subway itself - though you'll still find it because they have an ad with a little map at the exit itself, but it's easier to stay ground-level). But try to get ground-level, and then look LEFT as you exit the subway terminal and you'll see the VERY LAST STREET before some construction - there is a long line of little food stalls (covered in winter).

Walk down this block and the DONGYANG MOTEL is on your right. You walk through the parking lot (which has those plastic thingies hanging down everywhere) to find the office. Since it's pretty much a dead-end street area, it's reasonably quiet here.

I heard a bit of Russian in the hallways, so maybe this is one of those places with one-hour specials, but I found the place through KTO (Korean Tourism Org - just dial 1330 anywhere in Korea; if no answer, dial 02-1330 and you get the Seoul office, which is open from 8 to 8 every day of the year) and I've always found their recommendations to be good.

Right across the street is the "special foreigners shopping district" - I walked there briefly and saw whackloads of Russians and Russian restaurants - I didn't go in anywhere.

But there are heaps of restaurants, banks, food vendors, bars, etc. in the area. And if I were really hungry, I'd have hit the VIPS down the street if I were hungry enough, but it helps to be starved when you go there, since it's "all you can eat."

Major detour here from "nice cheap motel in Pusan" to filling your tummy anywhere you see a VIPS in Korea: If you've never been to VIPS (which the Koreans pronounce like it's spelled - they don't know it means "very important person"), you'll be pleasantly surprised that this Korean chain produces very good western food and some Korean choices also.

The lunch deal, which runs until something like 4 pm daily, can't be beat - about 16-17,000W for a huge array of food as I remember from the Bundang location. I don't know about the Pusan restaurant, but in Bundang you ordered some kind of meat or main course dish, and then waddled off to help yourself to a huge array of salads, REAL tacos and REAL guacamole, and shrimp and chowder and heaps of other things. Right down to desserts and drinks. And the vegetarians out there can order the salad bar alone, but it's not much less than ordering a main course.

Burp. Making myself hungry now.

Back to the hotel. They will call to wake you up in the morning... I was told it's about a 2000 W taxi ride to the ferry, and I think it's close enough to walk, but I get lost easily, so I will take a taxi.
Roch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Nice Cheap Motel (yogwon) in PUSAN Reply with quote

Canuckophile wrote:
This is an excellent thread - thought I'd contribute something for those who stay overnight in Pusan.

If you are taking one of the morning fast ferries to Fukuoka, and want a decent place to stay the night before, I recommend the DONGYANG MOTEL (phone 051-442-1248/ 1249; email [email protected] - website www.dymotel.com)

My very spacious room is 35,000W per night, with big HDTV (I can't figure out how to turn it on, though!), free computer with internet (slow but it works - like right now!) an enormous bathroom with what looks like a whirlpool and one of those humongous Korean shower thingies that looks like it could propel a boat out of the bathroom. And everything looks CLEAN, which is not always true here in Kimchi-land, in my experience.

You get a king-size bed (with Korean bedding) plus a hot/cold water cooler and little fridge with tea etc.

It's easy to find from the BUSAN STATION subway terminal. You exit the terminal (NOT through the subway itself - though you'll still find it because they have an ad with a little map at the exit itself, but it's easier to stay ground-level). But try to get ground-level, and then look LEFT as you exit the subway terminal and you'll see the VERY LAST STREET before some construction - there is a long line of little food stalls (covered in winter).

Walk down this block and the DONGYANG MOTEL is on your right. You walk through the parking lot (which has those plastic thingies hanging down everywhere) to find the office. Since it's pretty much a dead-end street area, it's reasonably quiet here.

I heard a bit of Russian in the hallways, so maybe this is one of those places with one-hour specials, but I found the place through KTO (Korean Tourism Org - just dial 1330 anywhere in Korea; if no answer, dial 02-1330 and you get the Seoul office, which is open from 8 to 8 every day of the year) and I've always found their recommendations to be good.

Right across the street is the "special foreigners shopping district" - I walked there briefly and saw whackloads of Russians and Russian restaurants - I didn't go in anywhere.

But there are heaps of restaurants, banks, food vendors, bars, etc. in the area. And if I were really hungry, I'd have hit the VIPS down the street if I were hungry enough, but it helps to be starved when you go there, since it's "all you can eat."

Major detour here from "nice cheap motel in Pusan" to filling your tummy anywhere you see a VIPS in Korea: If you've never been to VIPS (which the Koreans pronounce like it's spelled - they don't know it means "very important person"), you'll be pleasantly surprised that this Korean chain produces very good western food and some Korean choices also.

The lunch deal, which runs until something like 4 pm daily, can't be beat - about 16-17,000W for a huge array of food as I remember from the Bundang location. I don't know about the Pusan restaurant, but in Bundang you ordered some kind of meat or main course dish, and then waddled off to help yourself to a huge array of salads, REAL tacos and REAL guacamole, and shrimp and chowder and heaps of other things. Right down to desserts and drinks. And the vegetarians out there can order the salad bar alone, but it's not much less than ordering a main course.

Burp. Making myself hungry now.

Back to the hotel. They will call to wake you up in the morning... I was told it's about a 2000 W taxi ride to the ferry, and I think it's close enough to walk, but I get lost easily, so I will take a taxi.

Excellent post!

Thanks, and see you in Fukuoka tomorrow afternoon.

R
cangel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stayed at DongYang many, many times. I have also recommended the hotel to others on this, and other boards. For the $$ it's a hard place to beat. It's right nect to the tracks but I have never had a problem with the noise (what noise really...) And, I am just returning to ROK today after 3 weeks in Fukuoka (I lived in Fukuoka for 6+ years). Have fun.
bigscott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if the visa run to Fukuoka is an overnight trip or do I need more time?
wylies99

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also exchange money(won to yen only)at the post office near Hakata Station.
Toon Army

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven`t travelled the Busan - Fukuoka beetle in a couple years. How much are the tickets on average now (return)?
cangel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a return ticket for W190,000.
jen_the_great

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone going June 11-12? I want company to try fugu with me!
cangel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to try fugu, Fukuoka is not too bad of a choice. However, if you want to get the best fugu, jump on the JR train from Hakata and venture up to Shimonoseki, about an hour from Fukuoka. This place is the home of fugu in Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: