Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Get a Korean Credit Card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mishlert

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spliff wrote:
Gotta link for the site?

http://www.samsungcard.co.kr/
KYC

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called and tried to apply for one yesterday. The woman turned me down because my current ARC expires in exactly 3 months...even though I told her I was going to stay for another year with a different employer. She told me to call back when I had a new ARC. Sounds fair.
cdpak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

I applied for my anypass visa two weeks ago and have not got a call back. How long did it takes you guys?

Thanks,
David
Rumple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's the details on the Samsung Anypass Asiana Airlines Card I just got:

I pay an extra 20,000 per year so that every 1,000 won I spend gets me a mile with Asiana. My APR is 18% or 25% for cash advances. That's pretty high where I come from, but I'd rather have a card with a high APR than no card at all. I chose Visa because I already have a Mastercard through my American bank. I'd have taken AmEx, but I've never had one and don't know much about whether or not they are accepted everywhere. Maybe if I ever get a second one I'll get AmEx.

What threw me is how payments are handled. They take the money out of my bank account each month, which is fine, but I asked the woman how much they take. She said "You can set that between 100% and 10%. The default setting is 100%." I'm glad I asked! If I had assumed that it is done the American way, I might have bought a few things and then been caught unawares when they withdrew all that money from my bank account! So I asked her to switch it to 10%, and now I'm good.

I also like that the card gets me discounts for movie tickets, restaurants, and other places, and came with a bunch of single-use coupons as well.
Rumple

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: re: Reply with quote

cdpak wrote:
I applied for my anypass visa two weeks ago and have not got a call back. How long did it takes you guys?

Thanks,
David

I went from initially calling them up to card in hand in less than two weeks, mate...
Rumple

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mishlert wrote:
spliff wrote:
Gotta link for the site?

http://www.samsungcard.co.kr/

Hey Mish, can you walk a non-Korean speaking person through the initial login?
SteveJobs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: credit Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if having a Samsung credit card (or any other card that a foreigner working at a hawgwon can qualify for) reports to the 3 American credit agencies?

Credit cards are convenient but most importantly they build credit. Do the Korean cards do this?

Thanks.
mishlert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: credit Reply with quote

SteveJobs wrote:
Can anyone tell me if having a Samsung credit card (or any other card that a foreigner working at a hawgwon can qualify for) reports to the 3 American credit agencies?

Credit cards are convenient but most importantly they build credit. Do the Korean cards do this?

Thanks.

The simple answer is no.
So, if you get a credit card here in Korea and leave with flawless credit it will not show up in the U.S.
I can't speak for other countries though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: