Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A "Good Things You Have Downloaded Lately" Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: A "Good Things You Have Downloaded Lately" Thread Reply with quote

I'm always on the hunt for good movies, music, and tv shows. Here are some things I've found recently and enjoyed. Please post your own findings too, and help destroy the recorded music industry in its present form, while watching all your favourite shows without the annoying advertisements.

Music:
-the new 'Portishead' cd, 'Third.'
-the new 'the Breeders' cd, "Mountain Battles."
-a new compilation cd, 'You Don't Know Ninja Cuts,' featuring all your favourite Ninja Tunes acts.
-'Renato Carosone,' some old Italian dude who sings funny songs.
-'We Are Not Pandas,' live at Chillits, 2004. Good DJ set...downtempo weirdness.

TV shows:
-I just got turned on to "Arrested Development" and "30 Rock." The first one is brilliant, and the second one is clever. Much better than I thought they'd be; I just got used to thinking that sit-coms are unwatchable, I guess, and totally missed these ones.
-'Peep Show' season Five is underway. Man, those dudes are sick.

Documentaries:
-"Battle for Haditha" is actually more of a movie, but it's based on a true story, and is filmed by a documentarist. Depressing stuff. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870211/

-"Hearts and Minds," a 1974 documentary about the different perspectives regarding the Vietnam War, won an Oscar. Depressing stuff. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071604/

-"Breakfast with Hunter S. Thompson," 2003, is what you might expect. He is boozy and self-important with lots of groupies and sweet one-liners. Real character, that dude. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367565/

-HBO's "Black Tar Heroin," a 2000 documentary about low-down junkies in San Fransisco. Again, what you might expect. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221023/

-HBO's "White Light, Black Rain" deals with the nuking of Japan. Heavy stuff, obviously. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0911010/

-anything by TTC, 'the teaching company.' Decent survey course audiobooks, essesntially first-year university level lecture series in a wide assortment of disciplines.

Movies:
-Stephen Chow's ('Kung-Fu Hustle,' 'Shao-lin Soccer') new one, a kid's movie called "CJ-7." I don't watch kids movies usually but this one is good...an unpleasant and somewhat realistic view of elementary school politics, some good slapstick, and likeable actors. Good hung-over Sunday fare...cute as hell, and quite well-done, if you like that sort of thing. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0940709/

Please post your finds! My data vaults are always hungry for more stuff.
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! Wrong Forum! Mods, can you please move this to Off-topic? sorry~
rhinocharge64

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chill cyberspace brother. To answer your question: Bangkok Chick Boys, an absolute classic, and it's nicely prepairing me for my forthcoming vacation!!
Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.wolfgangsvault.com
Jessie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week for music, I just dowloaded:

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges (Their new album)
I'm Not There - OST (Great cover of Knockin' On Heaven's Door, with which I am currently obsessed)
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monk, Mission: Impossible., 3rd Rock , Oz and Larry Sanders.
Plus, Nowhere Man and Space: Above and Beyond.

Gotta keep busy until the September shows start.
southern boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.pichunter.com Very Happy not work safe
rumdiary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music:
Blood Red Shoes
The Warlocks
Sublime Frequencies (V/A from all over the world)

Podcasts:
A Prairie Home Companion
Classic Tales Podcast

Movies:
Songs From The Second Floor
Cargo 200
Jove

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Documentary:
Surfwise: Standford doctor leaves his practice has 9 kids and spends his life traveling in a camper and surfing.
deadman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movies:

The Onion Movie (Not too bad. I'm a fan of "The Onion")
The Thing (1982) Oldy but a goody
The Mist - I read the Steven King short story in primary school. Interesting to see in movie form. Beautifully surreal ending sequence - right up to actual ending which sucks.
Hot Fuzz - love it. Gets better each time I watch.
Blood the last vampire - short but good anime movie

TV Shows:

Scrubs - good to watch with less-than-fluent English speakers - lots of visual humour and absurdities.
Dexter - awesome

Documentaries:

The great happiness space - tales of an Osake love thief. On Osaka host bars
Other Worlds: A Journey Into The Heart of Shipibo Shamanism. Documentary on ayahuasca made when the film maker was doing research for the movie "Blueberry". Both the movie and the doco are good, with amazing psychedelic computer animation.

Comics:

The Invisibles - occult themed comic book
bluelake

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly, I've been D/L some TV shows. I enjoy a lot of British shows, such as the Sharpe series, along with a mini-series of several years ago--The Camomile Lawn

I also D/L the entire Young Indiana Jones series; it gets kind of slow at the end, but still entertaining. Another watchable series is The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I just D/L John Adams, but haven't had a chance to watch any of it yet.
Stormy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I d/l a heap of movies during the week & have been having my own movie marathon all weekend. I d/l:
    Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi....like catching up with old friends.
    The Wickerman....the 2006 version with Nicholas Cage. Weird movie but man can he act.
    Ladyhawke.....soooo romantic.
    The Name of the Rose....beacause I was in a slight medieaval mode. If you like medieaval monk mysteries you will love this. Reminds me of the Cadfael series a little.
    Perfume the story of a Murderer......which I am just about to watch for the first time.

For tv I've been watching a lot of The Simpsons & just started watching House for the first time. I don't d/l those, just watch them through www.surfthechannel.com

I've also been spending a lot of time watching youtube....doing the 'watch one thing, click on a link, watch something else, click on a link....'. It leads to an amazing range of topics and wastes lots of time. I've been watching lots of satires on the current political state in the USA which is interesting as I don't have much interest in it at all usually.
I think this is one of the good things about travelling (or living out of yr home country for a while), you definitely spend time watching, reading & listening to stuff that you just wouldn't give the time to at home.
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, good pirates, for helping me commit more intellectual property theft.

There's a new TV show by the Abrams fellow who produced 'Lost' and 'Alias.' It's called 'the Fringe' and here's the write up from Piratebay...

"In the new sci-fi FOX drama, Fringe, a research scientist
named Peter Bishop and FBI agent Olivia Warren team up to
investigate paranormal activity. They seek help from
Bishop's father, Walter, a brilliant (but possibly
insane) scientist who is being held in a mental
institution. Fringe explores mysteries of the paranormal
as well as the relationships between the characters, and
is steeped in mythology."

Sounds like X-files meets CSI. Pretty sure that's how they pitched it, too. Could be ok...anyway, somebody leaked the screener of episode one, and I'm dl-ing it now. I'll let you know if it's any good.

Other than that, it wasn't really a TV weekend for me...I did watch about half of the new Futurama movie. I guess it's good if you like Futurama.
fortysixyou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded "The Art of Seduction.pdf" by Robert Greene. It's a page-turner that's for sheezy.

PM me and I'll email it to ya.

Edit: Speaking of downloading, how the CHRIST do I get a DEMONOID invite?
ds_fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

music

pendulums new album- worth downloading for anyone
shitloads of breakbeat mixes- cant get enough of breaks at the mo, especially after i just bought new speakers.

tv shows

ufc- really getting into this now, they kick the crap out of each other.
wwe- i download this every week anyway
red dwarf- whoever you are if you havnt seen this then download it
the history of house- decent docu, worth checking out
skins- wasnt that impressed to be fair

movies

all 6 star wars- worth getting this like this while your here with a fast internet
all lord of the rings
sweet sixteen- crazy scotish movie- check it out, violent as hell
new futurama movie out this week, already on torrent in perfect dvd quality for all interested- its called the beast with a billion back, worth checking out but not as good as benders big score
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 1 of 41

Jump to: