Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A "Good Things You Have Downloaded Lately" Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NilesQ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV Shows

Curb Your Enthusiasm - HBO Funniest show ever IMHO. From the man who George Castanza was based on. Sienfeld with cursing and sex!

Brotherhood - Showtime awsome Irish American gangster show with some state politics mixed in. Loosely based on the Whitey Bulger story.

The Wire - HBO the best police show ever made, bar none. makes the shield look like the pro police, rah rah rah USA USA, you're with us or them crap that it is. and I like the shield! that is just how good the wire is.

Movies

Street Kings
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
We Own the Night
Gone Baby Gone
The Onion Movie
Be Kind Rewind
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow, I just saw the best movie of the year! I thought I'd never see another Colin Farrel movie I liked, what with him lately being mostly concerned with making drivel like 'Swat' and 'Alexander,' but this one is probably the funniest thing I've seen since...uh...the last time I saw a really good black comedy.

"In Bruges"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/
gets 8.1 out of 10 on IMDB, and Rotten Tomatoes scores it 79% fresh. I strongly suspect the 21% of critics on Rotten Tomatoes who thought it was bad are the same 21% who thought 'the Happening' was good.

If this movie ever made it to Korea, I'd pay to see it. It's THAT GOOD.

Here is a review from some twit who didn't like it.

"Being Irish, I was so ashamed by this movie. It takes cheap shots at any ethnic group, physical disability, and allows the characters to make fun. There's a joke about the Belgian murders. It's all about making fun of midgets, beating up women, shooting (spoiler alert), hating Belgium, beating down (spoiler alert), and being generally foreign-phobic. It's not overtly racist, because they have a (spoiler alert) to be the racist mouthpiece. I couldn't stick it anymore, and left just before the end, and I've never done that before. This movie is disgracefully bad, and if you have the slightest PC bone in your body, then skip it."

What a wally! 'oo, it allows the characters to make fun.' What a douchebag! I am a pinko liberal but I can still laugh at (spoiler alert) jokes.

And as for it being about 'hating belgium...' what utter rotten bilge this dude is pumping. If you can watch that flick and not want to go to Belgium and drink some fine gay beer and go check out the crazy old churches and Bosches and stuff, there must be something wrong with you, and I'm sure the Belgians are better off without you.
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a new HBO series about Vampires and the Humans Who Love Them starting in the fall. The pilot has been leaked and is now available for download. It stars Anna Paquin, the Kiwi from 'the Piano' and 'the X-men' movies.
It's called "True Blood."
It's HBO so it could be good...downloading now, I'll let ya know if it is.
rumdiary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NilesQ wrote:
TV Shows

Curb Your Enthusiasm - HBO Funniest show ever IMHO. From the man who George Castanza was based on. Sienfeld with cursing and sex!

Brotherhood - Showtime awsome Irish American gangster show with some state politics mixed in. Loosely based on the Whitey Bulger story.

The Wire - HBO the best police show ever made, bar none. makes the shield look like the pro police, rah rah rah USA USA, you're with us or them crap that it is. and I like the shield! that is just how good the wire is.

Movies

Street Kings
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
We Own the Night
Gone Baby Gone
The Onion Movie
Be Kind Rewind

Stay away from The Wire. Once you've seen the Wire everything else is a let down.
Bigfeet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortysixyou wrote:
I just downloaded "The Art of Seduction.pdf" by Robert Greene. It's a page-turner that's for sheezy.

PM me and I'll email it to ya.

Edit: Speaking of downloading, how the CHRIST do I get a DEMONOID invite?

PM me and I'll send you an invitation code.
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumdiary wrote:
Music:
Blood Red Shoes
The Warlocks
Sublime Frequencies (V/A from all over the world)

Podcasts:
A Prairie Home Companion
Classic Tales Podcast

Movies:
Songs From The Second Floor
Cargo 200

i couldn't find all your stuff you listed, but I found the Blood Red Shoes and they are my favourite band today. White Stripey, sorta...I suppose that's a comparison often made. ACtually they're more like a Von Bondies that doesn't suck.
Definitely worth a listen for anybody who likes crunchy catchy riffy stripped-down melodic punkish rock with solid vocals. Thanks Rumdiary! Like the old USN avatar too.

Last edited by blurgalurgalurga on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the season premiere of "Fringe," a new science-fiction FBI show from some of the people involved in such previous smash hits as 'Lost' and 'Alias.'

It's good!

The formulaic set-up is a bit predictable in some ways, but without knowing a damn thing about the show I found it pretty cool. Stuff blows up, there are enough unusual elements to make it interesting, and the CGI is well-done. A very expensive looking show. I think it's FOX.

Worth a download if you like that sorta thing. It's kinda X-Files meets Alias with a dribble of CSI thrown in. I think. I don't actually watch CSI or Alias, and my memories of the X-files are addled by time and whatnot, but I know what they're about somewhat.

The show doesn't begin until the Fall, but some wise-apple leaked it. Perfect quality screener...no impediments whatsoever. Who would do such a thing?

I think FOX did it themselves, knowing that all the Sci-fi geeks are going to download it and contribute to the 'buzz' factor. Quite clever, really, if that's what they actually are doing. It'd be a good way to hit a pretty relevant audience (geeks with computers who like science fiction shows in which people die and are blown up in various implausible ways) at a time when there really ain't much on TV. Clever!
Hanson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too busy watching "Me, My Mom, and the Crown" to download.

Pure gold.
tanklor1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread idea.
Movies/tv
"looking for Comedy in the Muslim World"
"That 80's show" 13 ep.s long
"Death Note" Yes the one the kids talk about. It's worth checking out.
"Daily Show"
"The Colbert report"
"Be Kind Rewind"
"Street Fighter" - Very slow download.
"Various History channel programs"
"PLease teach me English
Books
"Redwall"

Magazines
"Electronic Gaming Monthly"

Comics
"The Punisher"
"The Boys"

Music.
UVERworld's newest single "Gekidou"
U2's discography
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new HBO 'vampire vs. southern-fried rednecks' series is pretty good so far! I watched the leaked trailer last night and while I don't normally like vampire stories this one seems to have some potential. Happily it doesn't take itself too seriously either...just a mild twist on the old genre, really, but interesting enough to probably last a couple of seasons.
I think it comes out in the Fall properly, but the leak is reasonably high quality and worth a download.

It's called "True Blood."
Harpeau

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Documentary: Diamond Road

Dexter
House
Puppets who Kill
Law & Order (all of them)

7% Solution
Nilsson's The Point

Last edited by Harpeau on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JustJohn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox 3
Harpeau

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fringe is awesome! Very interesting pilot!! Really can't wait to see what happens with it!

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4239966/Fringe.S01E01.DVDSCR.XviD-MEDiEVAL

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
wawawawonder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of big shows here. What about one-offs? I love thebox.bz for occasional great documentaries from back home and also British sports broadcasts.

If you have any interest in Italy, then I heartily recommend FRANCESCO'S ITALY (also on thebox)- a recent four-parter touring through il bel paese and evoking all that's most wonderful about the country (and happily ignoring most of the crap).
hugoadelgado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm surprised nobody mentioned these tv shows:

Weeds, very cool show about a suburbian mom having to become a weed dealer, ycan find all 3 seasons at piratebay. and i think season 4 is about to start

Breaking bad.. its the father from malcom in the middle, really funny actor, but in a more seriouse comodey. Pretty much the same plot as weeds, but this is a suberbian chemist teacher that starts making crystal meth and selling it.

The Tudors is on season to, its a histoical drama about Henery VIII, I'm not going to say it great but is worth watching.

If you want something a little more lighter, "Greek" is pretty good, its about collage life, pretty much get the movies "Van Wilder" and "Bring It" have them breed a tv seriouse that thats what you get.

Anybody know when the new season of Entourage and The Shield is starting?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 2 of 41

Jump to: