Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ds_fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: gym workout regimes Reply with quote

hey,
trying to get fit so as to avoid feeling rubbish all the time from the pollution here and working with dirty brats all day who climb all over me after playing with their privates.

been working out for a fair while now and currently on creatine and protein, though doing the same exercises every day gets boring and soon tires me out.

wanting to work out mon-fri for about 40 mins, just for decent overall fitness including bulking up around the chest and arms, loosing the beer belly, and being able to run for a few miles without having a heart attack.

anyone know of any decent websites which will provide me with some sort of decent timetable which isnt exhausting, but has a little challenge to it.

how do you choose what to do at the gym- any regimes in place for you?
JMO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-073-training

I'm doing this at the minute and its pretty fun. Its most big movements like military press, squat, snatch, bench press etc. Its been fun learning the proper technique on those so far.

That website is pretty good. I'm a beginner and it has some useful info.
ds_fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decent enough site, not really what im after though, just not detailed enough for me. hows it working for you? much gain?
ciccone_youth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a girl so it won't help much.... but i go about 4 times per week, one hour each.

i mostly do cardio (running, walking, bike) and a bit of weights (arms, back and shoulders) and many sit-ups.

i just read fitness magazines to get ideas and to change up my routine. my boyfriend works out a lot too so he helps me out a lot, and we met a Korean friend at the gym who's really into working out, so it's cool.

sometimes i go run in the park when i'm tired of the gym, i found a little path with many stairs so it's challenging.

i also try to eat well, and i definitely cut back on the white rice, it did not do anything good for me. i love pasta and bread though, my body seems to handle it a lot better.
JMO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ds_fan wrote:
decent enough site, not really what im after though, just not detailed enough for me. hows it working for you? much gain?

I started it saturday morning so tomorrow is third day. Not much gain. I'm trying to nail the technique on the ones I've never done before.

It seems to be a very popular program though, at least on the men's health site, which I read a bit.

I like it as I don't really have an area of focus right now. I just want to put on muscle and at the same time learn all the major lifts. I do have a wierd left calf, right calf imbalance that I'm trying to sort. Thats about it.

Excuse me, as I get back to practicing squatting.
Grab the Chickens Levi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMO wrote:
ds_fan wrote:

I started it saturday morning so tomorrow is third day. Not much gain. I'm trying to nail the technique on the ones I've never done before.

It seems to be a very popular program though, at least on the men's health site, which I read a bit.

I like it as I don't really have an area of focus right now. I just want to put on muscle and at the same time learn all the major lifts. I do have a wierd left calf, right calf imbalance that I'm trying to sort. Thats about it.

lol
Grab the Chickens Levi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm in need of some advice.

I used to work out and hated doing ab work so let myself buy into the old chestnut of -

'squats, deads, pull ups etc all require you to use your abs as stabilizers so you don't need to work them directly.'

Yeah right, so try explaining why I have strong thighs, arms, chest and back and a girly weedy little waist that actually feels weak and feel out of balance...

anyhow... I do yoga now as I'm happy with the size and shape of my body mainly and yoga makes me feel straight-up awesome.

BUT - I want to do some work on the abs for a few months to strengthen them up.

I have an ab routine that I'll do twice a week -

hanging leg raises
bycicle crunches
inclined crunches
v-ups
twisting crunches

Now when you practice yoga you pull in the abs a lot and this tones them up and keeps the transverse abdominals tight.

Is it a good idea to practice this technique of pulling in the abs (think of trying to pull them against the spine) whilst doing my ab exercises....?

Or not...?

any ideas....?
JMO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab the Chickens Levi wrote:
JMO wrote:
ds_fan wrote:

lol

not much gain may have been overstating it^^

anyway its fun and I would reccomend it. Look at the men's health forums. There is alot of good advice there.

Last edited by JMO on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
JMO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work out and hated doing ab work so let myself buy into the old chestnut of -

'squats, deads, pull ups etc all require you to use your abs as stabilizers so you don't need to work them directly.'

Yeah right, so try explaining why I have strong thighs, arms, chest and back and a girly weedy little waist that actually feels weak and feel out of balance...

anyhow... I do yoga now as I'm happy with the size and shape of my body mainly and yoga makes me feel straight-up awesome.

BUT - I want to do some work on the abs for a few months to strengthen them up.

I have an ab routine that I'll do twice a week -

hanging leg raises
bycicle crunches
inclined crunches
v-ups
twisting crunches

Now when you practice yoga you pull in the abs a lot and this tones them up and keeps the transverse abdominals tight.

Is it a good idea to practice this technique of pulling in the abs (think of trying to pull them against the spine) whilst doing my ab exercises....?

Or not...?

any ideas....?

sure why not.

That sounds like vacuums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_exercise
Cornfed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably genetic given that I followed that advice and have big block abs when you can see them without the usual coating of fat. Either that or you are not doing the compound exercises full range of motion or often enough. I've found that doing whole-body routines every day is very good for abs and forearms.
Grab the Chickens Levi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornfed wrote:

Probably genetic given that I followed that advice and have big block abs when you can see them without the usual coating of fat. Either that or you are not doing the compound exercises full range of motion or often enough. I've found that doing whole-body routines every day is very good for abs and forearms.

Yeah it could be genetic. I used to work out with perfect form, so it's nothing to do with range of motion or form.

I really want to to give my midsection a lasting boost though (for strength more than aesthetics), so will train it with lower back hardcore for a good three or four months. That should give it some gains that will last and bring it up to the same level as the rest of the body.

Somepople say not good to spot train but I reckon that's not entirely correct. Arnold used to have weedy calves and went thorugh a period of training them every day to overcompensate and didn't do him no harm.

And some people reckon that you lose all your gains when you train like that once you stop but I did the same with my legs last year as when I was in late teens and early 20's used to just work upper body and ended up with decent chest and shoulders but matchstick legs. Last year I did 20 rep squat programme, sldl's and step sprints for 6 months and even though I stopped it months back the gains have stuck around. The improvement is very noticable...

So, yup some hard work on the midsection in store for me this summer....
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: gym workout regimes Reply with quote

ds_fan wrote:
hey,
trying to get fit so as to avoid feeling rubbish all the time from the pollution here and working with dirty brats all day who climb all over me after playing with their privates.

been working out for a fair while now and currently on creatine and protein, though doing the same exercises every day gets boring and soon tires me out.

wanting to work out mon-fri for about 40 mins, just for decent overall fitness including bulking up around the chest and arms, loosing the beer belly, and being able to run for a few miles without having a heart attack.

anyone know of any decent websites which will provide me with some sort of decent timetable which isnt exhausting, but has a little challenge to it.

how do you choose what to do at the gym- any regimes in place for you?

How long have you been on creatine for?
What's your diet like?
How many days/hours do you workout in a week?
What are you looking for?

If you're board. just change it up.
I recommend every month. But you can change it up every week if you really wanted to. You just wont be able to tell how something works that well.

I would suggest going for MWF work out.

WWW.bodybuilding.com has loads of work out programs on there.

Read up on a bunch of stuff. With enough knowledge you can just make your own routines to change your body as you see fit.

You want to look massive? Shoulders and lats. maybe some pecs.
Tiny? Diet and abs.
Just weird? Tris, forearms, calves

PM me if you want.
Bigfeet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop taking protein powders if you're trying to get rid of your beer belly. They're only needed for skinny people that have trouble gaining weight. 90% of the people that take them probably don't need them.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a stomach since I was in university. 1800 situps and leg raises per week doesn't seem to help, although there is a bit of definition. I'm thinking about doing a tummy tuck.

30 min. of walking on the treadmill, the sit-ups, plus weights 4 days per week has certainly had an affect. Weight has remained at a sustained level, must be the the added muscle tone.

My weakness is the few cookies and chips I snack on in the afternoon when after I've finished the day although I will eat fruit. I do keep away from the heart-clogging cheese, pizza and hamburgers pretty regularly and include veggies in my diet.

Last edited by matthews_world on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfeet wrote:
Stop taking protein powders if you're trying to get rid of your beer belly. They're only needed for skinny people that have trouble gaining weight. 90% of the people that take them probably don't need them.

Don't listen to this guy.

And mr. sasquatch, learn your facts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 1 of 51

Jump to: