Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A "Good Things You Have Downloaded Lately" Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I watched 'American Drug War: the Last White Hope,' and found it eminently watchable if somewhat trite. That's mostly because I'd heard most of these arguments before in other places. However, it's quite comprehensive, and really an excellent survey of American drug enforcement policy since Nixon started it up in '72.

The bias is against hard drugs, and even more than that, against the War-On-Drugs. A bit preachy in places but solid nonetheless...really, it's nowhere near as smarmy as most discussions of that subject, from either a pro-liberty or a pro-enforcement perspective.

I watched Surfwise also, which was recommended earlier in this thread. I'm from the west coast myself and know some people who were raised in similar circumstances as the kids in that flick. It's unflattering and honest, and much less self-serving than the other surf flick I watched recently...

"...Bra Boys." Definitely worth a download in any case, but I thought it glorified the scene a bit much. Tells the history of the infamous Manoubra (Sydney, Aus.) surf gang, the Bra Boys. It's narrated by everybody's favourite pugilist, the great Russell Crowe.
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a good documentary series a couple days ago about Russia during the second world war. It's called "Russia's War: Blood on the Snow" (PBS, 1997)and it's excellent. The archival footage is all from the Soviet Bloc countries, so it's a lot of new stuff to me.
It's ten episodes, 45 minutes each, and of course, incredibly sad and bleak. I just watched the first one--all about Stalin's consolidation of power, the Collectivization, and the creation of the Gulag archipelago.

Found it on demonoid...not sure if it's been boosted up to the public sites.
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omigod, omigod, omigod, I'm so stoked.
THE NEW GUNS AND ROSES HAS BEEN LEAKED!
AND IT'S EFFING TERRIBLE!!!!

hahahaha. Sorry Axl, you lick donkey scrote.

Ok, ok, I admit, I hate guns and roses except for like three of their songs, so I'm not to be trusted on this. I really have no idea if it's any good or not...how can I tell? This kind of overproduced trailertrash heavy metal bores the crap out of me.

I will say though that it is ponderous, ailing, and really really heartfelt. It's fun to imagine Axl plodding around his mansion in his ermine bathrobe with his golden chalice of booze and his head full of drugs, obsessing about these terrible, terrible songs...worrying that people will laugh at him. Sorry man; rest assured, they will.

I enjoyed downloading it though. Here's mud in your eye, Axl, you twisted cokehead freak!! hahahaha.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded Harold and Kumar go to White Castle in anticipation of Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo. I'd never seen it before. I thought it was hilarious, very well done.

Now if someone would upload a decent copy of H&KEfG I'd be set.
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I watched 'On the Doll,' a deliberately disturbing and vile flick about young traumatized people working in various aspects of the sex trade. Ugly little movie, a bit too tricky with the plotting, but well done.

To get the taste of that out of my mouth I watched 'Twelve Angry Men,' the classic Hollywood jury movie. Damn, that's a good flick. Henry Fonda ruled.

I also watched 'the Bank Job' this weekend. It's not bad...Jason Statham is in fine form and uses his single facial expression to good effect. Pretty entertaining.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Office US & UK

Ricky Gervais podcasts - really dry, crass, and witty humor.

Jamie Oliver cooking shows.

Michael Smith "Cook At Home"

Naruto - I'm up to season 6 of 9 of this Japanese ninja anime for kids.

Death Note - anime & movies.

30 Rock - Quite funny. Jack McBrayer is really good in whatever he does. He was in the Sarah Marshall movie and was a great performance by him.

Arrested Development

Top Chef

WWE Raw, Smackdown, ECW & pay-per-views.

Discover Channel's Airbus A380 documentary - very informative.

Firefly: Serenity - wish they would have kept this one going. This is a great sci-fi series with a western theme. It's been shown on Korean TV. Watch the 2-hour movie first.
ds_fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthews_world wrote:
The Office US & UK

30 Rock - Quite funny. Jack McBrayer is really good in whatever he does. He was in the Sarah Marshall movie and was a great performance by him.

Arrested Development

Top Chef

Firefly: Serenity - wish they would have kept this one going. This is a great sci-fi series with a western theme. It's been shown on Korean TV. Watch the 2-hour movie first.

looking forward to tonights raw, should be a decent show, wwe has gone downhill recently straight after one night stand which was decent, heres to hoping it picks up following the draft and night of champions
tanklor1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ds_fan wrote:
matthews_world wrote:
The Office US & UK

Arrested Development

Top Chef

looking forward to tonights raw, should be a decent show, wwe has gone downhill recently straight after one night stand which was decent, heres to hoping it picks up following the draft and night of champions

GTO: Live action Drama series. A Japanese drama series about a teacher who uses uncoventional tactics to get through to kids. Anyone who has a love for teaching should check it out.

Bon Jovi Discography.

Kanye West: Late Registration.

John Oliver: Terrifying Times (Worth Checking out)

Wild West Comedy Show. (Worth checking out, but I found it kind of boring)

The last Season. A baseball flick. (I do enjoy a feel good sports movie)
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm digging up old stuff this week because I can't find much new worth my time. Thanks all for helping out in this noble quest for entertainment!
My old portable hard drive died a while ago with 60 gigs of music on it so I'm slowly trying to remember wtf was on it...here's some of what I come up with so far.

Music:
Ween. The newer one has four or five awesome songs on it, and a bunch of pungent dreck. Same ratio as every other ween album, except for the bad ones where there's like one good song and ten bad. Special goodness can be found within 'learnin to live,' where Geener or Deener or whoever it is sings, in their inimitable redneck style, "doop doop doobalapa doobalapa doobalupa doobalapa doobalapa doobalapa doobalap doo,' three times, seemingly without taking a fekking breath. Love to see that sheet in noraebang!
Also good is "shame-maker" where they sing like east coaster jewish punks. Ha, ha, ha; somebody give these dewds a medal. Or if they come to your town, bring them home-made food and pay them money. if you like ween, you're already some kinda weirdo, and I can say with total confidence that you'll find something to like here. The album is called 'la cucaracha' and it came out last year maybe.

I'm really digging the ten Stereo Total songs that I like right now too. I guess I always had a thing for trashy-looking strung out Germans singing in French...anyway, you gotta hunt around to find the good stuff, as it's spread out pretty evenly through their six albums, but they have some good lo-fi rock and roll stuff ("Villaines Filles, Mauvais Garcons") and some okay trashy electro too ("comicstripteasegirl"). A lot of it's vomit though, be careful. One must sift out the golden chunks.

What else...oh yeah, the new Weeezer has two good songs on it. They call the album 'the Red Album'-- oh, weeezer, you have such continuity!--and the ones I like are 'Pork 'n' Beans' and 'troublemaker.' Good rockin stuff, if you ever liked their old good songs you'll probably like these two too. I suspect they are the songs that will be overplayed so much this summer I'll need like four years before I ever play 'em again. Good tho. If you're a weeezer fan you'll lap up the whole thing probably. And hey, that's fine! We're all god's little snowflakes, right?

This year's Miss Kittin is pretty bad but I love her anyway. I'm such a slattern for eurotrash electro.

The new presets seemed really limp the first couple of times I listened to it. Maybe it's not that bad...I dunno yet. Still I wait for them to do a track as good as the one they did last year, 'I go hard,' but I think maybe it'll never happen...might be a Benny Benassi sort of scene where they never really nail it again. yeah, maybe they are the Australian Benny, milking 'satisfaction' til their teeth fall out from all the meth.

tv
I watched "Intelligence," both series, and it was good. It's about gangsters and feds in Vancouver. Well acted, for TV, and for me a real down-home feel. Two seasons in the can, and probably cancelled now forever. Oh, it's got the dude who played 'max headroom' in it as one of the CSIS guys. No that's not a typo; and f**k CSI in all its hideous incarnations too, btw.

For the total geek, there's another new futurama...a little promo video thing they tacked onto their new DVD original, 'the beast with a million backs.' It's called, as a torrent, 'the lost adventure,' and it is while terrible somehow watchable. I suspect it appeals to me because I got hit in the head a lot when I was small, but appeal it does!

Other than that I just been readin'. This week's movies are all garbage, I'm watching old westerns like 'high noon' and 'taxi driver.'
Its just a ride

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the Underbelly series. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119176/
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australian Sopranos, huh? Sounds great! I'm in blind! Sign me up!

I'm so stoked today...I'm done all my paperwork, and I got two months off!
And...I just finishied downloading the entire ANGRY SAMOANS discography! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Surprised

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurgalurgalurga wrote:
Australian Sopranos, huh? Sounds great! I'm in blind! Sign me up!

I'm so stoked today...I'm done all my paperwork, and I got two months off!
And...I just finishied downloading the entire ANGRY SAMOANS discography! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Surprised

The entire Angry Samoans discography takes longer to download than it does to listen to. Mike still has the band doing gigs in California. Always a good show. Homosexual is an all time punk classic.

Ive downloaded the entire Alex Jones docu's. Endgame, Terrorstorm, Bilderburg..etc..
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man, that cop in your avatar whacked that guy right. Uuuuugly.
Captain Marlow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tv shows: Twin Peaks, Dexter, Flavor of Love Very Happy , The Wire, Freaks & Geeks, The Wonder Years, Rob & Big

movies: Twin Peaks, American Movie, Style Wars, Waiting for Guffman, Spinal Tap, Born Into This

music: Jens Lekman, MF Doom, Blockhead
Stormy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a download but it's pretty damn cool:

http://www.vimeo.com/1211060?pg=embed&sec=1211060
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 3 of 41

Jump to: